Ben Hecht, BDS, and Israel

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
1. Some learn from history....others recycle it.

A few generations ago the world witnessed the Holocaust. We can certainly name several other genocides, the Holocaust sticks in one's mind, and the memory is kept current by its new reprise, the BDS movement.

a. "Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) is a global campaign which uses economic and political pressure on Israel to comply with the stated goals of the movement" Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

b. Martin Luther King, Jr., ". . . You declare, my friend, that you do not hate the Jews, you are merely 'anti-Zionist.' And I say, let the truth ring forth from the high mountain tops, let it echo through the valleys of God's green earth: When people criticize Zionism, they mean Jews--this is God's own truth." "Anti-Zionism = Anti-Semitism"

c. " Norman Finkelstein, an anti-Zionist academic, criticized the BDS movement, saying it was a "hypocritical, dishonest cult" that tries to pose as a human rights movement, while in reality their goal is to destroy Israel"
Norman Finkelstein slams the BDS movement calling it 'a cult'

2. Today. February 28th, is the birthday of Ben Hecht, "the Shakespeare of Hollywood,"and it seems appropriate to remind of another "Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS)" also involving Israel.

a. " BDS and the Oscars: How Screenwriter Ben Hecht Defied an Anti-Israel Boycott"

3. Feb. 28 will mark 120 years since Hecht’s birth, an auspicious anniversary, perhaps, to consider his response to a dilemma that friends of Israel now face daily: how to respond to an anti-Israel boycott.

4. ....a career that included 65 film scripts (including Gone With the Wind), 25 books, 20 plays, and hundreds of short stories and magazine articles, ...But nothing could compare to the controversy Hecht ignited when he stood up for the right of the Jewish people to build a modern state in their ancestral homeland.

5. In 1946, Hecht drew national attention to the Zionist cause with his controversial Broadway play A Flag Is Born (starring 22-year-old Marlon Brando), whichThe London Evening Standard judged “the most virulent anti-British play ever staged in the United States.” Hecht’s purpose was to drum up American support for the revolt being waged in Palestine by Jewish underground militias.... Flag openly compared the Jewish revolt to colonial America’s own rebellion against England

a. ....British Embassy officials in Washington sought—unsuccessfully—to convince the Truman Administration to deport Peter Bergson (he was not a U.S. citizen), revoke the Bergson Group’s tax-exempt status, or at least prohibit government employees from publicly endorsing the group.

6. ...England’s Cinematograph Exhibitors Association—the distributor of films to British movie theaters—announced a ban on all movies in which Hecht had a hand....

7. .... when his bank balance ran low—and that did not take long, given his notoriously free-spending lifestyle—Hecht began to feel the sting of the boycott. “The movie moguls, most of them Jews for whose pockets I had netted over a hundred million dollars in profits with my [scripts], were even nervous of answering my hellos, let alone of hiring me. Hire me and jeopardize their English markets—what movie-making Jew was crazy enough for such a gesture!”

a. ... the British film community were being hypocritical by criticizing the anti-Communist blacklist in Hollywood while themselves blacklisting Hecht.

8. Although the British boycott “made my income a constantly precarious matter,” Hecht stuck to his guns..... he steadfastly refused to utter a word of regret for what he wrote about the Jewish revolt in 1947.

9. By 1952, the anti-Hecht boycott had run out of steam and was quietly lifted, while his spirit of principled defiance became a central part of his legend." http://www.tabletmag.com/jewish-art...il&utm_term=0_c308bf8edb-3c44cd6d45-207124429

10 . Now...for a peek at the puerile, insane champions of the BDS movement, "Crazy liberal girl at UCLA has a complete emotional breakdown because anti-Israel resolution was shot down
Crazy liberal girl at UCLA has a complete emotional breakdown because anti-Israel resolution was shot down | Young Conservatives

Oops....the video was here yesterday......removed this morning.
It was a screaming tantrum by this anti-Israel student when her wish for UCLA to deny support to the state of Israel, and to disallow Israeli scholars access to UCLA, was defeated.

Last edited by a moderator:
A YouTube video, posted on Wednesday, shows the female student sitting behind an open laptop while screaming “I’ve never been so f***ing disappointed.”

In her almost 2-minute rant, she also says, “we just f***ing blew it.”

The unnamed student was a note taker who backed the Student Council resolution that proposed divesting school assets from Israel, according to the Legal Insurrection blog of Cornell law professor William Jacobson.

The video prompted a reaction from some Twitter users. Conservative pundit Michelle Malkin wrote, “Dear parents: Watch this video to see the results of a UCLA education. Good Lord.”
UCLA BDS Supporter Melts Down After Student Council Rejects Anti-Israel Resolution (VIDEO) | Jewish & Israel News Algemeiner.com

Michelle Malkin should have told the parents - watch this video to see the results of UCLA's "indoctrination".

Good Lord, indeed. We've got kids who cannot see the truth when it is put right in front of them. They've been brainwashed.

Here's a thought, PC.

Start your new threads with, "Gay" as in "Gay Ben Hecht BDS...."

Or, "Gay dimocrap caught stealing..."

Or, "Gay Putin Threatening Ukraine....."

Guaranteed to get you at least three hundred hits.

Maybe not too many replies, but everybody will take a look-see.

And, coincidence, here, in my local paper, the same issue discussed:

1."Chicken-hearted boycotters calling for a cultural and commercial blackball of Israel know they would have their cheesy arses quartered and delivered to them on a platter if they tried to challenge truly tyrant regimes that routinely dump on humanity.

2. .... parasites at the Boycott, Divestment, and Sanctions movement — and its assorted fungi of pseudo-activists, questionable educators, fading entertainers, and other lowlifes — feel more comfortable scraping the bottom of the militancy barrel, instead of venting their spleens on the unspeakable atrocities of real world thugs.

3. ....Russia for horsewhipping peaceful protestors, or to Syria for systematically killing civilians, or to Saudi Arabia for beheading and crucifying criminals, or to Pakistan, Egypt, and Nigeria for burning churches and persecuting Christians, or to China for creating national brainwashing centers, or to North Korea for raining Nazi-like terrors on its people, or to the Democratic Republic of Congo for using rape as a weapon....

4. Jews and Israel are easy targets because they refuse to be victims and they triumph over adversity...

5. Israel is only 65 years old, but its army is one of the mightiest on earth, its illiteracy rating is virtually zero, it is a start-up country that boasts more patents per capita than almost any other land, and its inventions of drip irrigation, cherry tomatoes, the first solar window, bikes connected to strollers, and more, benefit all people — all of it accomplished on the grains of sand whose cultivation has escaped generations of Palestinians for centuries."
Israel boycotters are squawking up a storm, but let?s see them take on a real rogue regime ? Brooklyn Daily

Wow!

The author is a Brit named Shavana Abruzzo....my hat's off to her!

Last edited:

Forum List

Back