belief

I've baptised quite a few babies, including my own (4). I'm not an ordained minister so I'm wondering if I've gone and damned them to hell?

I don't think you've done anything at all. If you don't have the proper authority, you're just getting them wet.

theres only one way in john 3:16-17 for god so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. for god sent not his son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Why do Christians try to prove their beliefs to other people by quoting the Bible?

It is like trying to prove a political viewpoint by linking to a blog.

Oh. So God's love is conditional on our being alive? Once we're dead-- sorry, no more nice guy? You're so confusing...

What the hell is wrong with you?

We're talking about the deceased because THAT'S THE SUBJECT OF DISCUSSION HERE. What happens to the freaking deceased. Specifically, what happens to them according to Christian theology and how exactly you reached the conclusions you reached on that particular topic. And we're not talking about the saved deceased because as far as I know there's nothing to talk about there. I'm pretty sure we're both agreed that according to Christian theology THOSE people go to heaven.

Now would you try getting it together and focusing? Just a bit?

Sorry. Perhaps I've been a bit weak minded. The unsaved deceased have an opportunity to accept or reject Christ and baptism (which would obviously have to be performed vicariously as it was in New Testament times). Then they are judged like the rest of us.

did you you ever hear of an unsaved person dying and the later revived and he says i didn't see nothing. well, thats what happens till the judgement day then their cast into the lake of fire for eternity. and yes after you die theres no more chances for you to be saved now is the time for salvation.

did you you ever hear of an unsaved person dying and the later revived and he says i didn't see nothing. well, thats what happens till the judgement day then their cast into the lake of fire for eternity. and yes after you die theres no more chances for you to be saved now is the time for salvation.

According to a book written about 1500 years ago by men who had absolutely no clue. :lol:

Got any proof for your statement?

I've baptised quite a few babies, including my own (4). I'm not an ordained minister so I'm wondering if I've gone and damned them to hell?

It only counts if you were wearing a white robe. Did you self-baptize them because you are too cheap to pay the church fee? How much is that these days anyways?

theres only one way in john 3:16-17 for god so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. for god sent not his son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Why do Christians try to prove their beliefs to other people by quoting the Bible?

a wiki blog, where anyone can change it and noone knows who wrote what when

People afflicted with religion can't think for themselves, that's what draws them towards a group of like minded simpletons.

We're talking about the deceased because THAT'S THE SUBJECT OF DISCUSSION HERE. What happens to the freaking deceased. Specifically, what happens to them according to Christian theology and how exactly you reached the conclusions you reached on that particular topic. And we're not talking about the saved deceased because as far as I know there's nothing to talk about there. I'm pretty sure we're both agreed that according to Christian theology THOSE people go to heaven.

Sorry. Perhaps I've been a bit weak minded. The unsaved deceased have an opportunity to accept or reject Christ and baptism (which would obviously have to be performed vicariously as it was in New Testament times). Then they are judged like the rest of us.

Wow. Sure glad I don't believe in your god. I'm grateful that the god of the New Testament is much kinder than that-- he cannot deny justice, but he gives us every possible opportunity to accept Christ, even after death.

Wow. Sure glad I don't believe in your god. I'm grateful that the god of the New Testament is much kinder than that-- he cannot deny justice, but he gives us every possible opportunity to accept Christ, even after death.

i like you to show me where you find that in the new testament. every scripture i read say while your alive not after death.

Last edited:

People afflicted with religion can't think for themselves, that's what draws them towards a group of like minded simpletons.

so many foolish people decieved by satan its unreal how they let his ideas rule them.

why are you baptising
My middle name is John.

I don't think you've done anything at all. If you don't have the proper authority, you're just getting them wet.
I think we all have the authority to Baptise.

It only counts if you were wearing a white robe. Did you self-baptize them because you are too cheap to pay the church fee? How much is that these days anyways?

LOL. They don't charge, but a "tip" is always appreciated.

I was taught in Catholic parochial school that in certain circumstances anyone can administer a "valid" baptism. The story I remember is if there's a car wreck, someone is dying, you're not sure... etc.

I baptised each of my boys when they were first brought home. They were later baptised by a Roman Catholic priest. I did the same for my daughter but then we later gave her a Pagan baptism.

Other baptisms were given with the parents' consent. I knew they wouldn't receive any sort of baptism, so I figured this was better than nothing.

Once, after baptising a friend's grandson, I noticed a kitchen knife on the countertop. I picked it up and said "ok- now for the circumcision".

i like you to show me where you find that in the new testament. every scripture i read say while your alive not after death.

I disagree with the idea that the God who grants resurrection as a gift to all men, who is the same today, tomorrow and forever, is so inconsistent and/or harsh.

God is unchanging and God is love. If he truly is our Heavenly Father, as I believe Him to be, then he would do all he could to help us-- not cheer for us while we're in the game but go home without us if we lose.

1 Corinthians 15:29 speaks of one post-mortal "second chance" option when it refers to baptism for the dead, which was practiced in the church at the time of Peter and Paul but discontinued later on as the Catholic church become more Greek-influenced.

Similarly, check out Luke 4:18, Romans 14:9, 1 Peter 3:18-22 and 1 Peter 4:6.

Oh. So God's love is conditional on our being alive? Once we're dead-- sorry, no more nice guy? You're so confusing...

Ummm... what? So let me get this straight.

I die. Unsaved. I THEN have the opportunity to accept or reject Christ. AFTER I'm dead?

How exactly does that work? And where are you getting that from?

I die. Unsaved. I THEN have the opportunity to accept or reject Christ. AFTER I'm dead?

Exactly. There are several references to this, but 1 Peter 3:18-22 and 1 Peter 4:6 are two of my favorites.

Exactly. There are several references to this, but 1 Peter 3:18-22 and 1 Peter 4:6 are two of my favorites.
I don't read either of those as saying quite what you're saying they do. Both appear to be talking only of dealing with people who died before Jesus being offered a chance at redemption because they didn't have it when they were alive. Not a statement that this was going to be some kind of forward-looking statement on how things wil work in the future.

But let's say you were right... how would that work exactly? I die... I become aware wiuth absolute certainty that there IS an afterlife considering I'm, well, in it. And I'm confronted by some representative of God in some form. And he puts a choice of heaven or hell to me?

Because that becomes a bit of a no brainer at that point, but doesn't really fit well with the people constantly telling me the reason God doesn't show himself and just end debate over his existence right now is because for some inexplicable reason we need to believe he exists "through faith". If he's just going to give up the game at the end what's with all the cloak and dagger game of hide and seek here in the realm of the living? Why doesn't he just pop out and say "hey humanity, guess who's here? Now fall in line and shape up already".

Exactly. There are several references to this, but 1 Peter 3:18-22 ]and 1 Peter 4:6 are two of my favorites.

refers only to those who died before his coming

this scripture refers to the time christ died he went to the believers who died before his coming with the announcement of thier salvation. it doesn't mean a second chance for the ones who rejected him while living.

Forum List

Back