Belgium Euthanizes Deaf Twins Going Blind

Anybody who isn't enjoying life and is suffering is entitled to make their own decision about carrying on. It's called free will.

Having said that, If I were in their place I would be very reluctant to do it, because I have strong feelings that suicide solves nothing and perhaps we will be in even worse condition and we will suffer even more if we take our lives before our time has come ...as I believe there is life after death.

Fair enough.

well with that much mental illness in the family you should all at least be sterilized for the greater good of the human gene pool
You need to become better informed about mental heath.
Kurac.

Do you feel there is a distinction between mental and physical conditions in allowing someone the choice to die, or are you against both?

There could be considerations for individuals suffering from terminal illnesses.
A DNR and comfort care would be optimal.
Purposefully delaying the inevitable demise of someone is cruel however.

So, Helen Keller should have been euthanized instead of meeting a natural death at age 87?
Some people are truly sick.

If that's what she wanted? Sure.

So by extension, every depressed person who wants to die should be euthanized by their doctor instead of receiving treatment?
By that logic, my bi-polar mother, brother and sister should all be dead.

By that logic we should celebrate the deaths of all those kids who commit suicide and tell the parents to stop bitching and looking for sympathy.

You need to become better informed about mental heath.
Kurac.

Do you feel there is a distinction between mental and physical conditions in allowing someone the choice to die, or are you against both?

There could be considerations for individuals suffering from terminal illnesses.

By that logic we should give comfort care to everyone because death is inevitable. In the case of these two men they were not terminally ill any more than any other healthy person is. I do feel sorry for them. Deaf since birth they communicated in sign language. Going blind means they had no means of communication either. It is a tragic circumstance simply because they were otherwise healthy.

By that logic we should give comfort care to everyone because death is inevitable. In the case of these two men they were not terminally ill any more than any other healthy person is. I do feel sorry for them. Deaf since birth they communicated in sign language. Going blind means they had no means of communication either. It is a tragic circumstance simply because they were otherwise healthy.
If they learned sign language, they could have learned Braille.
I feel badly for them AND the family.

Quitters.

Don't be so stupid. They were condemned to a life of darkness by their condition. They would've been shells, unable to see or hear the world around them. Given the choice, I'd probably opt out if I were in their shoes. Deaf and blind? That's a living nightmare I'd rather not contemplate.

Quitters.

Don't be so stupid. They were condemned to a life of darkness by their condition. They would've been shells, unable to see or hear the world around them. Given the choice, I'd probably opt out if I were in their shoes. Deaf and blind? That's a living nightmare I'd rather not contemplate.

Don't be so fucking sensitive, Nancy.:lol:

It's pretty hard to carry on a conversation in braille.

Quitters.

Just picture this, Sherry. Your sight is fading, you can no longer remember what your cildren or those around you look like. Then your hearing starts to fade. You can't remember what they sound like anymore. Trying to rebuild their images in your head by touching their faces. You'd be begging even the youngest to pull the trigger.

Perhaps they could have sucked it up and learned to carry on. However, they chose not to.

This was more of an assisted suicide than euthanasia... I take no issue with it though assuming mental illness did not play a role in their decision.

Two deaf twin brothers in Belgium were euthanized by their doctor after realizing they were going blind and would be unable to see each other ever again, their physician says.

The 45-year-old men, whose names have not been made public, were legally put to death by lethal injection at the Brussels University Hospital in Jette, on Dec. 14.

The men, who were born deaf, had a cup of coffee and said goodbye to other family members before walking into hospital room together to die, their doctor told Belgian television station RTL.

“They were very happy. It was a relief to see the end of their suffering,” said Dr. David Dufour.

Belgium Euthanizes Deaf Twins Going Blind - ABC News

How long before we do that here?
i respect their decision ...but it's kinda sad ..

Just picture this, Sherry. Your sight is fading, you can no longer remember what your cildren or those around you look like. Then your hearing starts to fade. You can't remember what they sound like anymore. Trying to rebuild their images in your head by touching their faces. You'd be begging even the youngest to pull the trigger.

You're a twisted and depressing ray of sunshine.:lol:

Seriously, though. Just imagine it. The echo of your youngest's voice grows fainter every day. The outline of their features becomes less clearer. She recoils when you paw her little face, desperately trying to rebuild the image of her that you've lost. She wants to help, to alleviate your misery. I wonder how long you would last before begging them to pass you a handful of pills, or push a pillow into your face?

Seriously, though. Just imagine it. The echo of your youngest's voice grows fainter every day. The outline of their features becomes less clearer. She recoils when you paw her little face, desperately trying to rebuild the image of her that you've lost. She wants to help, to alleviate your misery. I wonder how long you would last before begging them to pass you a handful of pills, or push a pillow into your face?

Seriously, your mind has some dark corners to want out so badly that you imagine burdening your child with murder. Nobody knows how they'd react until confronted, but you don't have to appreciate my sarcasm...it's for my benefit, not yours.:D

Seriously, your mind has some dark corners to want out so badly that you imagine burdening your child with murder. Nobody knows how they'd react until confronted, but you don't have to appreciate my sarcasm...it's for my benefit, not yours.:D

Chilling, aren't I? But just imagine it, Sherry. There's no longer any viable means to provide for your children. No social interaction of any sort. You can't hear the waves lap against your beloved beach. You can't see or hear your children playing. Face it, it would only be a matter of time before someone or some people very close to you would find your lifeless body. I mean, you'd still be able to locate your wrists, afterall.

Chilling, aren't I? But just imagine it, Sherry. There's no longer any viable means to provide for your children. No social interaction of any sort. You can't hear the waves lap against your beloved beach. You can't see or hear your children playing. Face it, it would only be a matter of time before someone or some people very close to you would find your lifeless body. I mean, you'd still be able to locate your wrists, afterall.

Sorry, dude...but you're failing to get me all worked up.;) You're quite the little Sarah Bernhardt though.:thup: :D

Forum List

Back