Belgium Euthanizes Deaf Twins Going Blind

If folks are of sound mind and choose to end their lives, I'm not going to stop them.

Most people who are healthy are of sound mind and would be presumed to have a screw loose if thy chose to end their life.
I would presume assisting in a suicide would have to meet some ethical grounds for the physician whose oath is to do no harm.

If folks are of sound mind and choose to end their lives, I'm not going to stop them.

Most people who are healthy are of sound mind and would be presumed to have a screw loose if thy chose to end their life.
I would presume assisting in a suicide would have to meet some ethical grounds for the physician whose oath is to do no harm.

By what standard and kindly provide a source.

So, Helen Keller should have been euthanized instead of meeting a natural death at age 87?
Some people are truly sick.

If that's what she wanted? Sure.

So by extension, every depressed person who wants to die should be euthanized by their doctor instead of receiving treatment?
By that logic, my bi-polar mother, brother and sister should all be dead.

You can add me to that list. Of course, I'm sure some here would be glad I was gone...then again, if they did it when I was going through that tough time as a teenager, you'd never have known I existed at all.

Anybody who isn't enjoying life and is suffering is entitled to make their own decision about carrying on. It's called free will.

Having said that, If I were in their place I would be very reluctant to do it, because I have strong feelings that suicide solves nothing and perhaps we will be in even worse condition and we will suffer even more if we take our lives before our time has come ...as I believe there is life after death.

Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

Anybody who isn't enjoying life and is suffering is entitled to make their own decision about carrying on. It's called free will.

Having said that, If I were in their place I would be very reluctant to do it, because I have strong feelings that suicide solves nothing and perhaps we will be in even worse condition and we will suffer even more if we take our lives before our time has come ...as I believe there is life after death.

How do you know is permanent?

No ....nope

How do you know is permanent?

No ....nope

Um, because you're DEAD. And even if you believe in reincarnation you are not coming back as the same person.

Allowing the Government to put people to death will quickly spiral out of control. And yet some of you think it is a good idea.

Ah..so you are against war and the death penalty..right?

I am against the Government getting to decide outside a Courtroom or a war who lives and dies. And so should you be. Give them the power and within a short time it will be abused.

So, Helen Keller should have been euthanized instead of meeting a natural death at age 87?
Some people are truly sick.

So by extension, every depressed person who wants to die should be euthanized by their doctor instead of receiving treatment?
What is the duration of their typical depressed states? And can they not be elevated with Lithium or other medication?

You need to become better informed about mental heath.
Kurac.

Do you feel there is a distinction between mental and physical conditions in allowing someone the choice to die, or are you against both?

There could be considerations for individuals suffering from terminal illnesses.
A DNR and comfort care would be optimal.
Purposefully delaying the inevitable demise of someone is cruel however.

Ahem...everyone dies...it is inevitable.

I love liberty and the freediom from government entanglement whenever possible and the right to die when one chooses but how can one be certain a person is of sound mind when they make this choice, as Scorpion addresses?

Who sets the protocol?

Exactly. There are people suffering from various forms of mental illness that might choose death simply because their meds are off or they have been misdiagnosed or underdiagnosed. Suicide even by choose is permanant and I would hate to see someone make that choice without all the mental and emotional well-being they would need.

I'm not seeing a downside.

Personally, I think the individual should have the ability to choose whether they want to continue living, especially if they are afflicted with some debilitating ailment. There should be some access to safe, dignified medical alternatives instead of a bullet to the head or the end of a nylon stocking tied to the rafters. No one of us can know how some stranger feels about what they are facing, so to presume to force someone else to abide by our custom or preference is unacceptable.
As for those with mental deficiencies, why not allow them the same dignity of choice as "sane" people? If you want to look at it one way, if those with mental illness were permitted access to assisted suicide, might we not prevent at least some instances like the recent event in CT?
Government should have no hand in such decision-making, however. As mentioned by another, such ability would swiftly be abused.

People are going to kill themselves anyway, if it's what they really want to do. I see nothing wrong with giving them the option of a painless and peaceful death.

Allowing the Government to put people to death will quickly spiral out of control. And yet some of you think it is a good idea.

Ah..so you are against war and the death penalty..right?

I am against the Government getting to decide outside a Courtroom or a war who lives and dies. And so should you be. Give them the power and within a short time it will be abused.
Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Last edited:

What is the duration of their typical depressed states? And can they not be elevated with Lithium or other medication?

My mother passed nearly two years ago of lung cancer.
My siblings have been on Lithium and another antidepressant with doctor supervision regularly.
Both are smart enough to know going off meds is not an option.

Forum List

Back