Behind the Scenes: Meet George Obama

Gunny

Gold Member
Dec 27, 2004
The Republic of Texas
By David McKenzie
CNN

HURUMA, Kenya (CNN) -- We found Barack Obama's half-brother living in a Nairobi slum.

George Obama, whose birth certificate shows that he is Barack Obama's half-brother, lives in a small house in Huruma that he shares with his mother's extended family, far away from the presidential campaign circus.

In his memoir, "Dreams for my Father," the Democratic presidential candidate describes meeting George as a "painful affair." Barack Obama's trip to Kenya meant meeting family he had never known.

more ... Behind the Scenes: Meet George Obama - CNN.com

If Obama had known about him but failed to acknowledge him I might have found that a negative reflection on his character, but he did look him up when he was in the area where he lives. That seems to be a reasonable approach when dealing with a sibling you hardly know a half a world away.

Being in a similar situation myself I can say that looking at Obama's situation, it doesn't seem unusal. Not all siblings with just 1 parent in common can find a connection.

so? more than half of kenya's population lives in poverty. the majority of people in the cities live in huge slums on the outskirts. the exceptions are the business owners, embassy people, etc. (note: i lived in kenya for 5 years, so i feel i have some authority in these matters)

is obama supposed to financially support his half brother whom he didnt know before he was an adult? i dont understand why this gets any attention at all

If Obama had known about him but failed to acknowledge him I might have found that a negative reflection on his character, but he did look him up when he was in the area where he lives. That seems to be a reasonable approach when dealing with a sibling you hardly know a half a world away.

Being in a similar situation myself I can say that looking at Obama's situation, it doesn't seem unusal. Not all siblings with just 1 parent in common can find a connection.

aww, how compassionate. it's ok to take part of my pay check and give it to people i do not know and probably do not work by choice. yet when it comes down to 0bama's paycheck he can't give any of it to his to his own blood and family. talk about a hypocrite.

George, Cooter. Cooter, George.

Occidental Observer

Did Onion writers know something the rest of us didn't? Probably not. Modern life can be so predictably ridiculous that satire is probably a more accurate forecaster than serious pundit divinations (think of the Mike Judge movie, Idiocracy).

Although in this case, the real half-brother might have taken the Onion by surprise, because the supposed comedy premise of "Cooter Obama" is that such a figure would be restricted to whites. Political correctness restrains us from imagining an embarrassing black or African half-brother.

when it comes down to 0bama's paycheck he can't give any of it to his to his own blood and family. talk about a hypocrite.

Well, using that logic of Obama being a hypocrite, why is it ok for a potential First Lady to do the same thing with her half sister? I guess it depends on who it is, not who did it.

Well, using that logic of Obama being a hypocrite, why is it ok for a potential First Lady to do the same thing with her half sister? I guess it depends on who it is, not who did it.

when did i ever say it was ok? i do not support mccain, i do not support cindy mccain. i do not support dixie burd. i will not be voting for mccain. so i really do not understand what you are trying to get at.

when did i ever say it was ok? i do not support mccain, i do not support cindy mccain. i do not support dixie burd. i will not be voting for mccain. so i really do not understand what you are trying to get at.

I have no idea who you support, nor do I care. I don't see Obama being a hypocrite for not supporting a brother he hardly knows, based on the reasons you stated.

Spreading the love in one sentence with a couple of heartfelt adjectives:

The Illinois senator mentions his brother in his autobiography, describing him in just one passing paragraph as a "beautiful boy with a rounded head"

Forum List

Back