Before The Fed Announced QE3, I thought there would be a huge crash soon.

How can businesses thrive when there is so little consumer demand?

Free markets, low taxes, maximum freedom. Works every time!
It was said that Ireland had all of those. How is that country faring?

With respect, I would suggest you're looking at the short term. After generations of high taxes and everybody on the dole, Ireland only recently began to make good economic decisions.

Ireland is reinforcing the principle of limited government and they place a high priority on fiscal discipline and achievement of a balanced budget. This is one reason why Ireland is ranked the 9th freest economy in the 2012 index, one AHEAD of the United States.

Ireland Economy: Facts, Data, & Analysis on Economic Freedom

OK. Watch the price of gold hit an all time high by this time next year. Gold will absolutely SOAR under QE3. Why is that?

That's because the value of gold increases in a low interest rate economy.

True, that is a factor.

It indicates nothing more.

Respectfully disagree. The massive increase in the price of gold is also tied to the increasing doubts about our ability to get the debt under control. I understand you believe the debt is manageable, but many do not. When the crapola does hit the fan, gold/silver, etc is a safe haven. This is a big reason why we've seen the price of gold skyrocket over the last few years.

Free markets, low taxes, maximum freedom. Works every time!

With respect, I would suggest you're looking at the short term. After generations of high taxes and everybody on the dole, Ireland only recently began to make good economic decisions.

Ireland is reinforcing the principle of limited government and they place a high priority on fiscal discipline and achievement of a balanced budget. This is one reason why Ireland is ranked the 9th freest economy in the 2012 index, one AHEAD of the United States.

They still have an appalling economy. It doesn't look like that's going to change for a long time.

They still have an appalling economy. It doesn't look like that's going to change for a long time.

Perhaps, but it is ranked above the US. That's saying something.

You sound like someone who will buy negative interest rate bonds. By all means! Go for it.
Heck, I wouldn't. I'd choose gold, myself, if only for the short term, just because I'm a bit of a gambler. That doesn't mean I worship at its feet.

They are ranked by freedom and nothing more. If freedom means poverty, then I don't want freedom.

Of course, freedom as defined by the Heritage foundation is all kinds of fucked up, anyways. So good riddance to that shit.

They are ranked by freedom and nothing more. If freedom means poverty, then I don't want freedom.

I think we're getting way off track here. In any case, nice to chat with you. I remain convinced that monetizing the debt is very bad thing. At one point, so did the Fed!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6qo2S84r5w]Bernanke Lies Under Oath re: Monetizing Debt - YouTube[/ame]

I think we're getting way off track here. In any case, nice to chat with you. I remain convinced that monetizing the debt is very bad thing. At one point, so did the Fed!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6qo2S84r5w]Bernanke Lies Under Oath re: Monetizing Debt - YouTube[/ame]

This discussion doesn't have to end here, you know. :eusa_whistle:

Oh, lookey here. I just found a fancy Business Insider article about how the Fed is, in fact, NOT monetizing the debt.

Click here for the first page.

The issuance of bonds continues to this day due to Congressional mandate. In reality, our bond market funds nothing and serves only as a reserve drain which helps the Fed maintain its overnight target interest rate. It has nothing to do with funding the government. When the US government wants to spend money they do not call China and ask for a line of credit. They do not count tax receipts. And they most certainly do not call the Fed to ensure that we have any money left. No, the truth is that the USA never really has nor doesn’t have any money. So the entire implication that the Fed is helping to fund US government expenditures is entirely inaccurate and anyone who implies as much is still working under the now defunct gold standard model and clearly doesn’t understand the workings of the modern monetary system.

Read more: The Fed Is Not Monetizing The Debt - Page 2 - Business Insider

Oh, lookey here. I just found a fancy Business Insider article about how the Fed is, in fact, NOT monetizing the debt.

Click here for the first page.

The issuance of bonds continues to this day due to Congressional mandate. In reality, our bond market funds nothing and serves only as a reserve drain which helps the Fed maintain its overnight target interest rate. It has nothing to do with funding the government. When the US government wants to spend money they do not call China and ask for a line of credit. They do not count tax receipts. And they most certainly do not call the Fed to ensure that we have any money left. No, the truth is that the USA never really has nor doesn’t have any money. So the entire implication that the Fed is helping to fund US government expenditures is entirely inaccurate and anyone who implies as much is still working under the now defunct gold standard model and clearly doesn’t understand the workings of the modern monetary system.

Read more: The Fed Is Not Monetizing The Debt - Page 2 - Business Insider

Thank you for the link. I will take some time to read and absorb it but I have to say, at first glance, it appears to be complete rubbish! I will however keep an open mind when I read it. All the best.

Why don't we try to discuss the gold standard in this thread?

As for me, I think that would be currency monopolization to the most extreme degree.

Forum List

Back