Beehives in Texas attacked, set on fire, killing half a million bees

'indians' were lazy and didn't do organized work or farming too well . Read some of the accounts of the 'indians' of the Western States by Whites that had been taken captive by 'indians' . For one see what 'Olive Oatmen' has to say about the laziness and the lack of planning ahead by the 'indians' that captured her . White Farmers seem to have done pretty nicely at Farming after they had established themselves in the USA SSDD . [feck the Bee's SSDD ]

and WHITES bringing 'honey bees' to the 'new world' in about 1622 is alright with me SSDD .

The one I heard about was done by vandals. This one is too, but it is more recent (Iowa)

“All of the beehives on the honey farm were destroyed and approximately 500,000 bees perished in the frigid temperatures,” Sioux City police said in a release.

The names of the juveniles have not been released, but they are 12 and 13 years old, the Sioux City Journal reported. They’re charged with criminal mischief, agricultural animal facilities offenses and burglary.

Justin and Tori Englehardt, the owners of Wild Hill, were despondent by the “senseless” act.

“They knocked over every single hive, killing all the bees. They wiped us out completely,” Justin Engelhardt told the Journal. “They broke into our shed, they took all our equipment out and threw it out in the snow, smashed what they could. Doesn’t look like anything was stolen, everything was just vandalized or destroyed.”

Even so, the owners vowed to rebuild the business, which is estimated to cost about $60,000. The damage was not covered by the owners’ insurance, but fundraising campaigns have raised thousands of dollars for the recovery. Read more here: Two kids are charged with the ‘senseless’ killing of a half million bees in Iowa

Two kids are charged with the ‘senseless’ killing of a half million bees in Iowa
I would sentence those children to death.

'indians' were lazy and didn't do organized work or farming too well . Read some of the accounts of the 'indians' of the Western States by Whites that had been taken captive by 'indians' .

I have read them...they didn't cultivate crops because they were lazy...they didn't cultivate crops because they lacked all but the most rudimentary knowledge of the process.

For one see what 'Olive Oatmen' has to say about the laziness and the lack of planning ahead by the 'indians' that captured her .

What a semi educated european would perceive as laziness and lack of planning was in fact near abject ignorance... they simply had little more than the most basic concept of planning. There is a difference between being lazy and being ignorant. People who survive the hunter gatherer lifestyle are anything but lazy...laziness when that is your only mode of survival will get you dead in very short order.

White Farmers seem to have done pretty nicely at Farming after they had established themselves in the USA SSDD . [feck the Bee's SSDD ]

Of course...they brought european farming techniques with them...and bees were part of that agricultural knowledge. Native crops weren't going to feed a growing nation...the sate in which the indians lived made that abundantly clear.

The one I heard about was done by vandals. This one is too, but it is more recent (Iowa)

“All of the beehives on the honey farm were destroyed and approximately 500,000 bees perished in the frigid temperatures,” Sioux City police said in a release.

The names of the juveniles have not been released, but they are 12 and 13 years old, the Sioux City Journal reported. They’re charged with criminal mischief, agricultural animal facilities offenses and burglary.

Justin and Tori Englehardt, the owners of Wild Hill, were despondent by the “senseless” act.

“They knocked over every single hive, killing all the bees. They wiped us out completely,” Justin Engelhardt told the Journal. “They broke into our shed, they took all our equipment out and threw it out in the snow, smashed what they could. Doesn’t look like anything was stolen, everything was just vandalized or destroyed.”

Even so, the owners vowed to rebuild the business, which is estimated to cost about $60,000. The damage was not covered by the owners’ insurance, but fundraising campaigns have raised thousands of dollars for the recovery. Read more here: Two kids are charged with the ‘senseless’ killing of a half million bees in Iowa

Two kids are charged with the ‘senseless’ killing of a half million bees in Iowa

Death is a bit harsh...some long, and seriously strenuous community service and psychological evaluation is certainly in order. People who do that sort of thing have psychological issues which should be addressed as early as possible...

Well , the 'Whites' kicked azz , planted their crops , used the Bee's that they brought with them Bee's to pollinate and all is well and good in the World Of the USA . Whites also did good with the Buffalo , killed them , ate them , made Coats and rugs of them and piled their bones on the prairies to be picked up later to be ground up and used as Fertilzers SSDD .

Death is a bit harsh...some long, and seriously strenuous community service and psychological evaluation is certainly in order. People who do that sort of thing have psychological issues which should be addressed as early as possible...

No I would really execute them. To me what they did could harm the human race so badly and we need to send a message. Those bees lives were worth more than any 2 kids lives. We need to send a message to anyone else who would jeopordize the entire human race like these kids did.

Why bees are important. Globally there are more honey bees than other types of bee and pollinating insects, so it is the world's most important pollinator of food crops. It is estimated that one third of the food that we consume each day relies on pollination mainly by bees

Bees pollinate a third of our food supply, but colonies have been disappearing at alarming rates in many parts of the world due to the accumulated effects of parasitic mites, viral and bacterial diseases, and exposure to pesticides and herbicides.

It'd be like shitting in our water supply. Sorry but you got to go. We don't need people like that living among us.

I'm serious I think killing all those bees is worse that killing another human being.

Does anyone here think their life is more valuable to the planet than 1000 honey bees? They are sadly mistaken.

So you hate roast beef and potatoes, corned beef and cabbage, tea and crackers, coffee and cream...

To each his zone!

Potatoes originated in South America and cabbage in Asia. And just as North America doesn't need eurobees, most of the staple crops on the planet are wind-pollinated and don't need them either.
Okay, you're right, only a third. That's still a lot to miss, isn't it? I don't like bees either up close--especially not in my car. But they are seriously important. And 90% of wild plants, which are the fodder of most insects and wild animals....it would be a terrible cave-in if all our wild plants were to vanish.

Cross-pollination helps at least 30 percent of the world's crops and 90 percent of our wild plants to thrive.2 Without bees to spread seeds, many plants—including food crops—would die off.
https://www.nrdc.org/sites/default/files/bees.pdf

As far as food crops, flies and other types of bees can take care of the ones that need pollinators. They just aren't as commercial scale friendly delivering the best results at the least expense and who the hell would want to be around swarms of flies. I am not advocating for the destruction of anything mind you. I am just pointing out that there is a lot of mythology that comes with the honey bees as a critical critter. There are a few nuts and fruits that are highly dependent on honey bees specifically, but when was the last time you ate a quince? They are vile. As for the story in the OP, my guess is it was done by either someone within the organization with a grudge or a commercial beekeep near by who didn't want to lose business to this bee co-op group.
Yeah? When is the last time you ate lettuce? Celery? C'mon. And flies aren't attracted to flowers. They congregate on...well, you know.
I don't think it's mythology that bees are necessary for successful crops. I live in wild blueberry land, and every year they bring in hives of bees to pollinate the plants in late May/early June. We have plenty of flies. If that worked, no one would pay for bees.

You do realize you picked the two worst crops if you are trying to make a point because lettuce and celery are inedible once they go to seed? You eat them before a bee ever sees them. Mason bees do quite fine as pollinators as do bumble bees. You just want to justify the honey bee being critical because of the indoctrination fed to you by big business.
I looked up Mason bees and Honeybees, and it was informative. Thanks.
Mason bees have their drawbacks when it comes to replacing pollinators in large farms, but I guess they're working on that.

there are all kinds of pollinators to replace BEE's [if needed] , if you read various posters comments and the info that I have posted from Beekeepers Organizations and Associations . -------------------- feck those 500,000 BEE's except for the fact that they were private owned property like Livestock OldLady.

When Bee lives matter more than Human lives.

They do matter more than we do. Without bees, we ALL die. Without bees to pollinate our food growing plants, there is no food to eat. NONE.

Pesticides have decimated bee populations which are at dangerously low levels. Bee populations need all he help the can get and the destruction of hundreds of thousands of bees to teenage vandalism is appalling.

there are all kinds of pollinators to replace BEE's [if needed] , if you read various posters comments and the info that I have posted from Beekeepers Organizations and Associations . -------------------- feck those 500,000 BEE's except for the fact that they were private owned property like Livestock OldLady.

There are NOT. Bees are pollinators worldwide and are the only species with sufficient numbers to affect the food supply.

When Bee lives matter more than Human lives.

They do matter more than we do. Without bees, we ALL die. Without bees to pollinate our food growing plants, there is no food to eat. NONE.

Pesticides have decimated bee populations which are at dangerously low levels. Bee populations need all he help the can get and the destruction of hundreds of thousands of bees to teenage vandalism is appalling.
--------------------------------------------------- AGREE , but only because these particular BEE's are Privately Owned . Heard that Bee's are considered to be LIVESTOCK DLady .

there were no 'honeybees' until White Settlers brought them here in '1622' from 'euroland' to the Colonies or North America DLady .

There are NOT. Bees are pollinators worldwide and are the only species with sufficient numbers to affect the food supply.
--------------------------------------- feck 'worldwide' , this is Texas that we are talking about DLady .

Potatoes originated in South America and cabbage in Asia. And just as North America doesn't need eurobees, most of the staple crops on the planet are wind-pollinated and don't need them either.
Okay, you're right, only a third. That's still a lot to miss, isn't it? I don't like bees either up close--especially not in my car. But they are seriously important. And 90% of wild plants, which are the fodder of most insects and wild animals....it would be a terrible cave-in if all our wild plants were to vanish.

Cross-pollination helps at least 30 percent of the world's crops and 90 percent of our wild plants to thrive.2 Without bees to spread seeds, many plants—including food crops—would die off.
https://www.nrdc.org/sites/default/files/bees.pdf

As far as food crops, flies and other types of bees can take care of the ones that need pollinators. They just aren't as commercial scale friendly delivering the best results at the least expense and who the hell would want to be around swarms of flies. I am not advocating for the destruction of anything mind you. I am just pointing out that there is a lot of mythology that comes with the honey bees as a critical critter. There are a few nuts and fruits that are highly dependent on honey bees specifically, but when was the last time you ate a quince? They are vile. As for the story in the OP, my guess is it was done by either someone within the organization with a grudge or a commercial beekeep near by who didn't want to lose business to this bee co-op group.
Yeah? When is the last time you ate lettuce? Celery? C'mon. And flies aren't attracted to flowers. They congregate on...well, you know.
I don't think it's mythology that bees are necessary for successful crops. I live in wild blueberry land, and every year they bring in hives of bees to pollinate the plants in late May/early June. We have plenty of flies. If that worked, no one would pay for bees.

You do realize you picked the two worst crops if you are trying to make a point because lettuce and celery are inedible once they go to seed? You eat them before a bee ever sees them. Mason bees do quite fine as pollinators as do bumble bees. You just want to justify the honey bee being critical because of the indoctrination fed to you by big business.
I looked up Mason bees and Honeybees, and it was informative. Thanks.
Mason bees have their drawbacks when it comes to replacing pollinators in large farms, but I guess they're working on that.

The big problem with these superfarms is they destroy habitat for pollinators and/or kill natural pollinators in their pest control programs. That a handful of chemical companies own half the world's seed production is unnerving to me. When people say, "I only plant heritage varieties...." I think "and Bayar/Monsanto owns quite a few of them too...."

Well , the 'Whites' kicked azz , planted their crops , used the Bee's that they brought with them Bee's to pollinate and all is well and good in the World Of the USA . Whites also did good with the Buffalo , killed them , ate them , made Coats and rugs of them and piled their bones on the prairies to be picked up later to be ground up and used as Fertilzers SSDD .

And this addresses the fact that you find the killing of tens of thousands of bees "fun" how? Like I said, I am not so much interested in the bees as the psychology that makes the senseless killing of them be perceived as fun.

Forum List

Back