Beef Bone Broth.

HereWeGoAgain

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2010
Fuck Y'all I'm From Texas!
The Wife and I are going to make a huge pot of Beef Bone Broth.
It'll take a couple days with the 24 hour cook time to break it all down.
We're then going to try the new American canner,we figure we can get 7 quarts out of it.
I knew we had beef marrow bones in the freezer but I was shocked to find we have around 12 pounds of the things.
Thought about making one super concentrated pot but I'm unsure of the saturation point so I guess we'll be making two batches.
One that will be a standard broth with carrots,celery,onions and garlic and another thats more savory with just onions and garlic.

And for those who don't eat red meat, you can try this with chicken bones!

It's delicious too! I have tried it!:)

We thought about that but I havent looked into where you can get chicken bones.
It'd take a whole lot of chickens to get enough bones to make a broth.
We're using 6 pounds of beef bones for the beef broth,coming up with 6 pounds of chicken bones may be problematic especially when you consider how light they are.
Who knows though,it may not take as many.

Don't forget to roast those bones and any veggies (with skins & peels left on) before adding to the pot. Also add a good splash of ACV (apple cider vinegar). About 1 tablespoon per gallon of water. Don't worry you won't taste the vinegar and it will help break down the bones and leach out all those good minerals, And yes about the skins & peels of the veggies, that includes the onion & garlic skins too. Just give them a good rinse of any dirt & debris.

Chicken bones??? You can use either or both raw & cooked bones (that includes for the beef as well) so every time you have chicken for dinner, save those bones. Also, buy whole body chickens at the store and cut them up and/or debone them yourself. I do this and make several piles.....one for the wings, one for boneless breasts, one for leg quarters and another for broth bones, this includes the wing tips, necks and the body. I also save the bones after we've eaten as long as the seasoning used wasn't too wild cause it will flavor the broth......and/or check at a butcher shop for necks & backs & feet if they have them.

Another good tip..........if you do buy the whole chickens and debone them yourself.........pull off the skin and trim off all that fat. Then render it by cooking the oil/fat out of it till the pieces are crispy. Officially rendering it is to add some water to cook it, until the water evaporates/cooks off and you have what is called Schmaltz (chicken fat), that is good to cook with in place of oil or shortening and adds a little flavor, but does have a low smoke point. Those crispy pieces are like pork rinds sold as snacks if you add salt......but are also a great dog treat as well.

What Is Schmaltz?

If you want to make some of your own, ask your local butcher for chicken fat and skin, as they often reserve some when breaking down poultry. (You can also DIY this part with skin-on cuts of chicken if you prefer.) Once you have enough fat and skin — you'll need 3 to 4 cups of skin and fat to work with — add it to a large pot and cover with water. You can also add a quartered onion to the pot for added flavor, but it's not required. Simmer the mixture over medium-low heat until all of the water has cooked off and the fat begins to turn golden-brown.

Once the fat is rendered, strain it out with a fine-mesh sieve. (Pro tip: Reserve any crispy skin that results as a delicious, crunchy topper for pasta, salads, and veggies.) Store the schmaltz in an airtight container in the fridge for up to two weeks.

It's a Jewish thing I guess, but it's definitely a good way of using all of what you have to make something else. Anyway, it lasts longer than just 2 weeks

Ooops, should have added that if you boil the broth it will probably be cloudy. Nothing wrong with that, just looks different. So if you want a clear broth, keep it at or below a simmer. The longer it's allowed to cook, the more concentrated and flavorful it will be. Flavor and dark color is from roasting first.

Don't forget to roast those bones and any veggies (with skins & peels left on) before adding to the pot. Also add a good splash of ACV (apple cider vinegar). About 1 tablespoon per gallon of water. Don't worry you won't taste the vinegar and it will help break down the bones and leach out all those good minerals, And yes about the skins & peels of the veggies, that includes the onion & garlic skins too. Just give them a good rinse of any dirt & debris.

Chicken bones??? You can use either or both raw & cooked bones (that includes for the beef as well) so every time you have chicken for dinner, save those bones. Also, buy whole body chickens at the store and cut them up and/or debone them yourself. I do this and make several piles.....one for the wings, one for boneless breasts, one for leg quarters and another for broth bones, this includes the wing tips, necks and the body. I also save the bones after we've eaten as long as the seasoning used wasn't too wild cause it will flavor the broth......and/or check at a butcher shop for necks & backs & feet if they have them.

Another good tip..........if you do buy the whole chickens and debone them yourself.........pull off the skin and trim off all that fat. Then render it by cooking the oil/fat out of it till the pieces are crispy. Officially rendering it is to add some water to cook it, until the water evaporates/cooks off and you have what is called Schmaltz (chicken fat), that is good to cook with in place of oil or shortening and adds a little flavor, but does have a low smoke point. Those crispy pieces are like pork rinds sold as snacks if you add salt......but are also a great dog treat as well.

What Is Schmaltz?

If you want to make some of your own, ask your local butcher for chicken fat and skin, as they often reserve some when breaking down poultry. (You can also DIY this part with skin-on cuts of chicken if you prefer.) Once you have enough fat and skin — you'll need 3 to 4 cups of skin and fat to work with — add it to a large pot and cover with water. You can also add a quartered onion to the pot for added flavor, but it's not required. Simmer the mixture over medium-low heat until all of the water has cooked off and the fat begins to turn golden-brown.

Once the fat is rendered, strain it out with a fine-mesh sieve. (Pro tip: Reserve any crispy skin that results as a delicious, crunchy topper for pasta, salads, and veggies.) Store the schmaltz in an airtight container in the fridge for up to two weeks.

It's a Jewish thing I guess, but it's definitely a good way of using all of what you have to make something else. Anyway, it lasts longer than just 2 weeks

I agree with you to a point.
I'd never use beef bones that have been cooked you lose so much flavor from the marrow since you have to cook the cut where those bones come from for long periods to make them tender which of course cooks out a lot of the marrow. We've made plenty of chicken or turkey broth over the years from cooked carcass's but only in small batches to make gravy. We've also made seafood broth from shrimp shells,heads and crab carcass's for seafood Gumbo.

The whole point of what we're doing now is to "can" 7 quarts of beef bone broth for long term storage.
Which is what we'd like to do with the chicken stock in the near future,make large enough batches to can.

In other words I'm familiar with the process but I've never made it in large quantities.
We also love to just make beef marrow just to spread on french toast. It's like meat flavored butter!!!

Ooops, should have added that if you boil the broth it will probably be cloudy. Nothing wrong with that, just looks different. So if you want a clear broth, keep it at or below a simmer. The longer it's allowed to cook, the more concentrated and flavorful it will be. Flavor and dark color is from roasting first.

It wont be cloudy if you do it right. You need to skim the surface occasionally to remove the scum that builds up as you simmer it. If you leave that scum it will make your broth bitter. Of course you also have to soak the bones in salt water overnight and change the water every four or five hours to leach the blood out of the bones or again you'll get a bitter taste. We learned that lesson years ago when we tried to make bone marrow. The first time we did it it was fantastic!! But we didnt know those bones had been pre prepped. We didnt prep the next batch since we had no idea it needed to be done. It was nasty to say the least.

When you're done it should be gelatinose at room temp and have an almost reddish color to it yet still be transparent.

It wont be cloudy if you do it right. You need to skim the surface occasionally to remove the scum that builds up as you simmer it. If you leave that scum it will make your broth bitter. Of course you also have to soak the bones in salt water overnight and change the water every four or five hours to leach the blood out of the bones or again you'll get a bitter taste. We learned that lesson years ago when we tried to make bone marrow. The first time we did it it was fantastic!! But we didnt know those bones had been pre prepped. We didnt prep the next batch since we had no idea it needed to be done. It was nasty to say the least.

When you're done it should be gelatinose at room temp and have an almost reddish color to it yet still be transparent.

Then my apologies. I didn't know you guys had done it before.........and yes, it's all about that gelatin. Good stuff

All broth comes from bones. Boiled bones makes broth, boiled meat makes stock. If a brand sells broth nd "bone broth" one of two things have happened.
1; Their "normal" broth is not actual broth, but stock.
2; Their "normal" both is actual broth and they are literally just putting the same broth in a different package and charging more for it.

Forum List

Back