BBC “Critics” Determine Best 100 American Films

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
This is their top 10:

10. The Godfather Part II (Francis Ford Coppola, 1974)

9. Casablanca (Michael Curtiz, 1942)

8. Psycho (Alfred Hitchcock, 1960)

7. Singin’ in the Rain (Stanley Donen and Gene Kelly, 1952)

6. Sunrise (FW Murnau, 1927)

5. The Searchers (John Ford, 1956)

4. 2001: A Space Odyssey (Stanley Kubrick, 1968)

3. Vertigo (Alfred Hitchcock, 1958)

2. The Godfather (Francis Ford Coppola, 1972)

1. Citizen Kane (Orson Welles, 1941)

A huge box office success, Star Wars @ 36? Does that say something about their bias? It's also one of the reasons I generally ignore anything critics say. Read more @ BBC - Culture - The 100 greatest American films

This is their top 10:

10. The Godfather Part II (Francis Ford Coppola, 1974)

9. Casablanca (Michael Curtiz, 1942)

8. Psycho (Alfred Hitchcock, 1960)

7. Singin’ in the Rain (Stanley Donen and Gene Kelly, 1952)

6. Sunrise (FW Murnau, 1927)

5. The Searchers (John Ford, 1956)

4. 2001: A Space Odyssey (Stanley Kubrick, 1968)

3. Vertigo (Alfred Hitchcock, 1958)

2. The Godfather (Francis Ford Coppola, 1972)

1. Citizen Kane (Orson Welles, 1941)

A huge box office success, Star Wars @ 36? Does that say something about their bias? It's also one of the reasons I generally ignore anything critics say. Read more @ BBC - Culture - The 100 greatest American films

I have seen all of them except Sunrise- don't know anything about it.

But the list is pretty solid. I might put Godfather at #1- but Citizen Kane always seems to end up there. Looks like they tried to hit every genre there. I might have swapped out Casablanca for African Queen....but those are quibbles.

People are never going to agree on everything. I love Star Wars- fantastic- and ground breaking film. But the acting doesn't compare (except for Sir Alec Guinness) to say the acting in the Godfather.

Its all subjective. When it comes to movie critics, I always found one I generally agreed with- or generally disagreed with- for recommendations- and I never read more than the first paragraph of the review because they give too much away.

Greatest US films: Amazing facts

This is a BBC followup to the original post and provides some really neat info.

Which Pinocchio song inspired Close Encounters of the Third Kind? And how did Buster Keaton break his neck without realising? Find out in BBC Culture’s A-Z of the stories behind the classics.

Singin’ in the Rain, number 7

When Gene Kelly filmed the title number, he was sick with a fever of 103 F and the director wanted to send him home. He later said: “The concept was so simple I shied away from explaining it to the brass at the studio in case I couldn't make it sound worth doing. The real work for this one was done by the technicians who had to pipe two city blocks on the backlot with overhead sprays, and the poor cameraman who had to shoot through all that water. All I had to do was dance.”

This and lots more @ BBC - Culture - Greatest US films Amazing facts

Forum List

Back