Battlefield Medicine Is Changing And It Is Saving Lives

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
Isn't it tragic to say that our VA medical facilities are overloaded because our frontline medics save so many lives?

upload_2015-9-21_6-58-46.jpeg

These are the deaths. Injuries where our men and women survive have to be far higher.

An interesting story about battlefield medicine @ The Changing Face of Battlefield Medicine

Having served in the US Army Medical Research and Development Command, I am aware of the amazing advances made by doctors and researchers from ALL branches of the military.

Just name a current ER procedure or system of triage and they can be traced back to military research and usage.

Super glue to close wounds? Some very ingenious Special Forces medics in 'Nam figured out it would work.

Get dental implants instead of dentures? US Army researches came up with that at Letterman Army Institute of Research in the early 70s [I was the Admin NCO there at that time]

The one true shortcoming in treatment for our military personnel is psychological. We've learned how to heal the body but still have a long way to go in finding "cures" for PTS and other mental trauma.

Battlefield medical treatment has always been at the forefront of medicine. The reason that we have so many Veterans living with horrific injuries in an era with relatively light casualties compared to 20th century wars is that the U.S. has developed efficient methods for battlefield response and aid. Too bad the V.A. system isn't geared for the same efficiency.

Having served in the US Army Medical Research and Development Command, I am aware of the amazing advances made by doctors and researchers from ALL branches of the military.

Just name a current ER procedure or system of triage and they can be traced back to military research and usage.

Super glue to close wounds? Some very ingenious Special Forces medics in 'Nam figured out it would work.

Get dental implants instead of dentures? US Army researches came up with that at Letterman Army Institute of Research in the early 70s [I was the Admin NCO there at that time]

The one true shortcoming in treatment for our military personnel is psychological. We've learned how to heal the body but still have a long way to go in finding "cures" for PTS and other mental trauma.

Even though there may be a long way to go in treating mental trauma, the military is still a leader in finding new methods for treating PTSD, and all kinds of trauma victims have benefited from the research and advances the Military has made in this area as well.

About October of the year 2007 - I was under medical care and off from work, I was in my parents living room, on the southwest corner...in a recliner and watching television. I was eating dinner. My mother....stood between the kitchen and the living room ( about 10 feet away from me ) and sprayed deodorizer in the living room.....WHILE I was eating. I told her not to spray the deodorizer.....I was eating dinner - and I did want chemicals, fluorocarbons and other nasty stuff in my meal I was eating, nor in my drink.

Mothers can be so ignorant some times.

Shadow 355

Isn't it tragic to say that our VA medical facilities are overloaded because our frontline medics save so many lives?

These are the deaths. Injuries where our men and women survive have to be far higher.

An interesting story about battlefield medicine @ The Changing Face of Battlefield Medicine

I was at Camp Casey, Korea. It was in the fall, I am thinking the year 1999 ; I was riding with an "M.P" from the 2nd MP Company. A soldier driving a "HEMMETT" ( Spelling ?? ) made a right hand turn into a street...on post, running over a Korean Citizen ; on a bicycle ; whom was riding to the right of the HEMETTS dual tires.

He was crushed.

An ambulance showed up and two Medics went to work. CID ( Criminal Investigation Division - Special Agents ) showed up and did their investigation. CID clearing the driver.....the Soldier driving the HEMETT was out of the country in about 24 hours ; to prevent Korean reprimand.

Military Medics are the best in the business. As one Medics T-shirt said ( T-shirt from A.I.T - Advanced Individual Training - The MOS School ) at a baseball game I played at = "If you can't hang, then you don't need to be here."

Most Military Occupational Schools are fast paced. Schools that are 8 weeks, need to be 10 or 12 weeks long. Studying is hard. Awake - Physical Training - Class - Lunch - Class again -Last formation - Dinner. Shower, prepare your uniform for the next day - study - sleep - start over again. You seldom have enough time to study for a class test. Even the academic stand outs in high school find some MOS Schools hard - there is simply not enough time to study. It is "Balls to the Wall" academic and hands on testing. Make the grade...or be a cook.

Cheers......to Military Medics

Shadow 355

Forum List

Back