Battle Over Sale of Violent Video Games

Discussion in 'Computers' started by onedomino, Jan 4, 2005.

1. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    While I do not play online games much anymore, I played Quake and Quake 2 for many hours online when I was in my early 20s. After playing Q2, I never felt like the game violence would spill over into real life. Would my attitude have been the same if I was 8 or 12 when playing Q2 online? I do not think so. Doom, Quake, Unreal, and Halo are just too unreal to be confused with the non-game real world. CounterStrike and GTA: San Andreas are a different matter. Recently, I visited a gaming parlor while I was waiting for a movie to start that was playing nearby. In the parlor, there was a 6 or 7 year old girl playing the latest iteration of CounterStrike at one game station, while her father (I guess) played CS on the game station next to her. This past holiday, I watched my 14 year old nephew and his friends laugh inappropriately at the pimps, prostitutes, and cop killers in the PS2 version of GTA: San Andreas. There is a big difference between the unreal nature of Q2, etc., and the quasi-reproduction of South Los Angeles in GTA: San Andreas. I do not advocate the criminalization of M rated video game sales to minors, as suggested in part of the article below. But I do strongly recommend that parents understand the content of the video games that they purchase and permit their children to play. GTA: San Andreas has sick and twisted content to which many parents would object if they knew it was present in their kid's bedroom upstairs. What’s your take on this topic?

---

2. insein

insein Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +356

That sums it up right there. Parents need to pay attention to what their kids watch, read, play. If they dont do it within the confines of their own home, then its their own damn fault. I can understand if maybe a kid plays it at a friends house or something. ITs a parents responsiblity to keep up onthese things though. And its damn sure a parents responsibility to NOT BUY M rated games for those who shouldnt be playing them. Parents who buy GTA, Counterstrike, etc for children under 14 (15 and up should understand the difference) have no room to complain.

3. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    Parents who are not informed are DANGEROUS!