Battery operated Blood pressure cuffs inaccurate?

MarathonMike

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2014
The Southwestern Desert
I am rather paranoid about blood pressure since my Dad had ultra high blood pressure that led to his kidneys failing and an early death. So when my battery operated blood pressure cuff began reading 140-90 I was concerned. I decided to buy one with a pump and gauge to see if there was a difference. I've taken three readings on three different days and I was 120/80 more or less with each reading. Does anyone else see high readings off of a battery operated blood pressure cuff? If you do you might want to get the original cuff with a pump and gauge to compare. They are also much cheaper that the battery operated ones (around 15 bucks). It's a bit more trouble to use, but kind of fun once you figure out how to use it.

I am rather paranoid about blood pressure since my Dad had ultra high blood pressure that led to his kidneys failing and an early death. So when my battery operated blood pressure cuff began reading 140-90 I was concerned. I decided to buy one with a pump and gauge to see if there was a difference. I've taken three readings on three different days and I was 120/80 more or less with each reading. Does anyone else see high readings off of a battery operated blood pressure cuff? If you do you might want to get the original cuff with a pump and gauge to compare. They are also much cheaper that the battery operated ones (around 15 bucks). It's a bit more trouble to use, but kind of fun once you figure out how to use it.
You have to use them when you first get up to compare readings. Once you start going life makes your pressure go all over.

Yep.
I have two battery powered ones. One goes on the wrist and the other the upper arm.
It's rare to get the same reading on either of them.
The Docs office used an electric on me and it to was off compared to doing it manually.

You have to use them when you first get up to compare readings. Once you start going life makes your pressure go all over.
Yes I used both the battery operated and pump cuffs in exactly the same position and same time of day in a relaxed state.

Yes I used both the battery operated and pump cuffs in exactly the same position and same time of day in a relaxed state.
I don’t think a 140/90 is that bad. Go to a doc, especially with your family history.

Forum List

Back