Baseball HOF anomalies

elvis

Rookie
Sep 15, 2008
Mazeroski and Thompson get in with one swing each. Buckner is out because of one grounder. Maris is out.

Hmmm.

Rod Carew: The most overrated singles hitter of all time. They put him in the #3 hole and his RBI production didn't justify keeping him there. He has been a hitting coach on several teams and can't even be effective at that.

OTOH, Jim Kaat was the greatest defensive pitcher of all time, and won't get in unless it's as a broadcaster.

• Banned
Rod Carew: The most overrated singles hitter of all time. They put him in the #3 hole and his RBI production didn't justify keeping him there. He has been a hitting coach on several teams and can't even be effective at that.

OTOH, Jim Kaat was the greatest defensive pitcher of all time, and won't get in unless it's as a broadcaster.

carew had 3000 hits. tough to keep anyone out when they hit that number, unless you gamble. :eusa_whistle:

Mazeroski and Thompson get in with one swing each. Buckner is out because of one grounder. Maris is out.

Hmmm.

First off....Bobby Thompson is not in the Hall of Fame

Maz was a feel good selection, much like Phil Rizzuto

Carew won batting titles, flirted with .400 and had 3000 hits thats automatic

Buckner was a solid player, so was Jim Katt but neither dominated a season or had overwhelming lifetime stats....I say No

Maris had four good seasons, one that was exceptional. The rest of his career was average........Still say No

Last edited:
  • Banned

Hmmm.

Buckner was a solid player, so was Jim Katt but neither dominated a season or had overwhelming lifetime stats....I say No

point out where i said Carew should be left out.

Gary Carter is an awful person to be in the hall of fame

He played 19 seasons and only mustered a little bit over 2000 hits and only has 324 homeruns and a Average of .262

Consider Don Mattingly who played 14 seasons...5 seasons less then carter and has more hits and only 100 less homeruns...but has 6 more gold glove awards and a career BA of .307

If carter got in there is no reason Donny Baseball shouldn't get in.

Last edited:

Hmmm.

Maris had four good seasons, one that was exceptional. The rest of his career was average........Still say No
Kaat won nearly 300 games; the benchmark for the shoo-in for pitchers. He was also. without peer as the best pitcher to play the position once the ball left his hand.

Gary Carter is an awful person to be in the hall of fame

He played 19 seasons and only mustered a little bit over 2000 hits and only has 324 homeruns and a Average of .262

Consider Don Mattingly who played 14 seasons...5 seasons less then carter and has more hits and only 100 less homeruns...but has 6 more gold glove awards and a career BA of .307

If carter got in there is no reason Donny Baseball shouldn't get in.

The difference is that Gary Carter was a catcher and Mattingly was a first baseman. Compare Carters numbers to other HOF catchers and he is as good or better. Also, compare Carters numbers to other catchers of his era.

With first base, there is a higher bar. I think Mattingly was one of the most dominant players for a period of time and think he should be in. But I compare him more to Jim Rice than Gary Carter

Hmmm.

Addressing the OP now, this next generation of superstars is interesting. Will Manny get in? Bonds one day? Mark one day? A-Rod? Sosa?

Right now, the top person who's definitely going in first ballot without question is Griffey.

Hmmm.

Addressing the OP now, this next generation of superstars is interesting. Will Manny get in? Bonds one day? Mark one day? A-Rod? Sosa?

Right now, the top person who's definitely going in first ballot without question is Griffey.

I'd also go with Jeter, Pedro and Rivera. Puhols needs a few more seasons

Hmmm.

I'd also go with Jeter, Pedro and Rivera. Puhols needs a few more seasons

Pedro is not going in unless the vets back him in.

I don't know how the sportswriters are going to react to the roid rangers, if its negative Arod won't being going, same as Bonds & McGuire.

Glavine is probaly the next guy in, he's a true first ballot HoF pitcher.

On NY the most likely are Jeter and Mo, the rest are not enough playing time yet.

Mattingly belongs in the hall IMO.

Jeter is the all around best baseball player I've seen in my lifetime.

And this is coming from a diehard Red Sox fan, so you KNOW it's not colored with bias.

I can't agree on mattingly for the same reason i don't on pedro.

From 89 till 95 he was average or below average, giving him the hall would be based on just a half dozen good years.

Forum List

Back