Baseball Cards: Sports Semantics

Abishai100

VIP Member
Sep 22, 2013
Baseball cards are a cherished American commodity and a celebrated American presentation.

America is primarily a land of confluence and trade (i.e., Wall Street). Athletes worry about free agency and receive controversial media coverage (i.e., steroids use). American worry about the validity and presentation authenticity of consumerism culture marketing.

Baseball is America's favorite sport, and even though baseball has seen its controversies (i.e., Black Sox, steroids allegations, etc.), the baseball card represents an American investment in sports monument celebration.

People buy and sell and collect baseball cards both for monetary value and for cultural value.

Big-name players are not necessarily the highest-valued cards (i.e., Honus Wagner), however, rare rookie cards for very famous baseball players such as Barry Bonds and Babe Ruth are obviously very valuable.

Americans love folk tales about talented athletes shining briefly but not reaching high levels of stardom. The baseball poem "Mighty Casey" reflects this social interest. Baseball card valuation guidebooks are great resources for card collectors and amateur buyers and sellers, since they reveal an investment in athletic performance valuations for a given year (regardless of long-term prospects in regards to health risks).

This is why the baseball card is as symbolic as the comic book, and special cards collectors crave are like rare editions of iconic comic book superhero issues.

Any modern era talk about baseball free agency should include at least a casual conversation about baseball cards.

olerud.JPG

Only use I ever had for them was in the spokes of my bicycle tires.

Every time the topic of baseball cards comes up, I wonder how many thousands of dollars I may have destroyed being cool

(I did it in the 50s, early 60s)

Baseball is a distant second, behind football as America's game and losing ground to basketball.

Baseball cards are a cherished American commodity and a celebrated American presentation.

America is primarily a land of confluence and trade (i.e., Wall Street). Athletes worry about free agency and receive controversial media coverage (i.e., steroids use). American worry about the validity and presentation authenticity of consumerism culture marketing.

Baseball is America's favorite sport, and even though baseball has seen its controversies (i.e., Black Sox, steroids allegations, etc.), the baseball card represents an American investment in sports monument celebration.

People buy and sell and collect baseball cards both for monetary value and for cultural value.

Big-name players are not necessarily the highest-valued cards (i.e., Honus Wagner), however, rare rookie cards for very famous baseball players such as Barry Bonds and Babe Ruth are obviously very valuable.

Americans love folk tales about talented athletes shining briefly but not reaching high levels of stardom. The baseball poem "Mighty Casey" reflects this social interest. Baseball card valuation guidebooks are great resources for card collectors and amateur buyers and sellers, since they reveal an investment in athletic performance valuations for a given year (regardless of long-term prospects in regards to health risks).

This is why the baseball card is as symbolic as the comic book, and special cards collectors crave are like rare editions of iconic comic book superhero issues.

Any modern era talk about baseball free agency should include at least a casual conversation about baseball cards.

View attachment 56740
You are the Wicipedia of bitchdom.:slap:

Forum List

Back