Barrett-Jackson

BDBoop

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2011
Don't harsh my zen, Jen!
Barrett-Jackson Auction Company - World's Greatest Collector Car Auctions

Any fans of the auction?

2013 Barrett-Jackson photos: 'Sopranos' SUV sells for $110K; Siegfried & Roy receive $95K for new foundation - Las Vegas Sun News

I used to watch whenever the auctions were aired. I loved that these incredibly well-off men still had mad car love, and could finally afford to indulge themselves.

Or who knows. Maybe they were born to it. Who cares. :) The beauty of the vehicle, the history - it is all just so very cool.

Final figures from the weekend Barrett-Jackson Collector Car Auction at Mandalay Bay released Tuesday indicate the best of the six annual events held to date. On the block and under the gavel were a record-breaking 657 cars that drew $32 million in sales, a whopping 41 percent increase over 2012.

Nearly 70,000 enthusiasts witnessed the world-class auction that was the company’s highest-grossing Las Vegas event ever.

“It was a very good day for us — the best,” Craig Jackson, chairman and CEO of Barrett-Jackson, told me backstage shortly after he presented Masters of the Impossible Siegfried & Roy with the first check for $10,000 toward the launch and official unveiling today of their endangered animals foundation Sarmoti.

The auctions are interesting for a number of reasons. Watching people with more money than brains piss away money on cars that are, in many cases...not very good, in fact. It is the classic case of the "bigger fool" gambit: You buy something for a foolish price, hoping that when you are ready to get rid of it, you can find a bigger fool than you were when you bought it.

It is fun to see cars that were popular when you were young, restored to near perfection and sold for many times what they sold for new.

I like watching some of the Mecum auctions, to find cars that are both interesting and inexpensive.

I like seeing the occasional car that someone has carefully and painfully restored to perfection over many years. Often they have to suffer the indignity of seeing that nobody else thinks much of their '66 Valiant, slant six, even if it is "absolutely like new!"

It is a good time to be a car nut. The number and variety of car programs is almost endless. Something for everyone's taste.

I love watching stupid people pay buckets of money for old shit. Great entertainment.

• Banned
The auctions are interesting for a number of reasons. Watching people with more money than brains piss away money on cars that are, in many cases...not very good, in fact. It is the classic case of the "bigger fool" gambit: You buy something for a foolish price, hoping that when you are ready to get rid of it, you can find a bigger fool than you were when you bought it.

It is fun to see cars that were popular when you were young, restored to near perfection and sold for many times what they sold for new.

I like watching some of the Mecum auctions, to find cars that are both interesting and inexpensive.

I like seeing the occasional car that someone has carefully and painfully restored to perfection over many years. Often they have to suffer the indignity of seeing that nobody else thinks much of their '66 Valiant, slant six, even if it is "absolutely like new!"

It is a good time to be a car nut. The number and variety of car programs is almost endless. Something for everyone's taste.

I have never heard of Mecum, I'll have to look it up.

Forum List

Back