Barbie's Dad Died

random3434

Jun 29, 2008
If you are a woman, I'm sure you had a Barbie doll growing up.

I still have some of mine, and some of Mini Echos.

The "Old" Barbie: (1959)

Barbie_doll_original_1959.jpg

A 'mod' Barbie:

077.jpg

A 'Glam" Barbie:

080.jpg

http://news.yahoo.com/barbies-us-toymaker-father-dies-aged-95-234628500.html

I actually have a female roommate who proudly states she never played with a Barbie Doll. All of the Barbies she got for Birthdays and Christmas from family and friends were given to her younger sister. On the other hand, all of her sister's My Little Ponies and Breyers went to my roommate.

I actually have a female roommate who proudly states she never played with a Barbie Doll. All of the Barbies she got for Birthdays and Christmas from family and friends were given to her younger sister. On the other hand, all of her sister's My Little Ponies and Breyers went to my roommate.

Or, she could have saved them in the box and made some money as a grown up!

Barbie Doll Values Of The Past And Present

But, that's cool she had a trade-off with her sister! Different strokes for different folks. My daughter really didn't 'play' with hers, except when we went swimming.

Or, she could have saved them in the box and made some money as a grown up!

Nope. Anything even vaguely "feminine" has never been Shawna's style. She wouldn't even have wanted them in her room. The ultimate "tomboy".

But, that's cool she had a trade-off with her sister! Different strokes for different folks. My daughter really didn't 'play' with hers, except when we went swimming.

That's kind of the deal her mother worked out between them. Shawna wanted nothing to do with Barbie or any other type of "doll". Her sister Kristi is the ultimate girly-girl. No dirt for her; and ponies/horses were too close to potentially getting dirty for her.

I put Barbie's dad photo in my browser and promptly got five photos--three were of goats, one was a football player posing with a girl, and one a young guy (Audie Murphy?) in uniform.

But RIP Mr. Handler, just the same. Millions of little girls have enjoyed Barbie and many millions of dollars have exchanged hands for the dolls, a wardrobe that would make Queen Elizabeth envious, the special cars, carriages, doll houses with all the expensive furnishings, hair care kits, and accessories.

Barbie turned 50 in 2009 and it has been speculated what she would look like if a real woman had her measurements. One answer:
If scaled into real life proportions, she would be 5 feet, 9 inches, (1.75 m) measuring 36-18-33. According to research by the University Central Hospital in Helsinki, Finland, she would lack the requisite 17 to 22 percent of body fat required to menstruate.

A much more detailed discussion of her measurements is here:
BBC NEWS | UK | Magazine | What would a real life Barbie look like?

Seems the Europeans took more interest in that than Americans did. :)

i did that too.... i traded with my cousin danny....he took my dolls, i took his firetrucks, lego sets, erector sets.... he ended up a hairdresser....owning his own salon with his wife, and me a corporate tycoon! j/k :D

I was not much of a doll player. I had one, yes. Mine was the black haired one. My sister's was the bubble hairdo one. I gave mine to her when Ma bought them.

Today, my sister still wears her bleached out hair in a bouffant. Mine used to hang down my back until 2 weeks ago. Funny how that turned out.

I played with my Barbies.

I also played kick the can and dodge ball, I played sports, I gave a boy a bloody nose in 5th grade, I was in 4H and took dance, ballet, gymnastics, built forts, walked in creeks hunting for frogs, watch football and basketball games, play poker and love the 3 Stooges.

My parents went to Hawaii and brought me back a Hawaiian dress for my Barbie. I still have the Barbie that is wearing that dress. They are both gone now, so it's something I will always keep.

Dolls just didn't do much for me.

But...I loved to paint my jacks pink and twirl them like they were ballerinas. When tired of that, I just played regular jacks and ball. :)

I only had one Barbie, and I remember it getting so old, one day I found it in my closet, and her nose was like- chewed part way off- like a rat got ahold of it or something.
Just as well, Barbie is a bitch anyway.

The thing about dolls like that is that they are beautiful in a way, but they have no personality. I look into those vacant eyes and think Stepford. :)

The thing about dolls like that is that they are beautiful in a way, but they have no personality. I look into those vacant eyes and think Stepford. :)

Ha! Mini EZ Always had me turn her dolls and stuffed animals around before she went to bed at night, so they weren't 'looking at her' while she slept! :lol:

Forum List

Back