Ban duck boats...

I remember a few years ago when a duck boat started to sink, the passengers started to sing the song from the Titanic ..lol

Storm must have caught them by surprise.

To bad is right.

Why weren't they wearing life vests?
The Captain should have handed them out when he saw the approaching storm.

I agree.

They all should have been wearing them.

Whenever I've been in a boat that the first thing the person running the boat does is make sure everyone in the boat has on a life preserver.

Storm must have caught them by surprise.

To bad is right.

Why weren't they wearing life vests?
The Captain should have handed them out when he saw the approaching storm.

I agree.

They all should have been wearing them.

Whenever I've been in a boat that the first thing the person running the boat does is make sure everyone in the boat has on a life preserver.

Adults dont have to wear them but you are required to have one for everyone onboard. And they're required to be within easy reach and access.
I would also think it would be required that the Captain point out the location of the life vest before entering the water.

Radar indicated a huge storm approaching an hour before launching. Winds were drastically picking up at launch time, as some people exchanged their tickets to get their money back.
The boats should have been grounded until the storm passed.

There was no surprise in this case. Thunderstorm warning was issued an hour earlier...

Passing by and glancing at the television I thought it was another one of those boat catastrophes from a third world country. For the most part I take for granted that those who operate things in this country know what can go wrong and make necessary precautions in their operating procedures before even opening for business. I wouldn't expect tourist to know what possible lake conditions can arise from a thunderstorm but would think the duck boat operators stayed abreast of the weather and their effect. In next few days I hope to hear and read comments from the locals who know the lake and are familiar with it in adverse weather.

It was a tragic event yesterday caused by a fast moving violent storm. However, Duck boats have been used in several tourist locations all over the US for many decades. There have only been a handful of accidents. The people that take the ride are more likely to have an accident in a vehicle going to ride than they are on the ride.

Forum List

Back