Bagels, Not Bombs.

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Neverending war between Jews and Muslims?
Not necessarily....
This in my local newspaper.

1. "A beloved Jewish bakery on the brink of closure has been saved — by two Muslim cab drivers with a shared love of kosher bagels and their hole-less, flat, more oniony cousin, the bialy.

2. Zafaryab Ali and Peerzada Shah have taken over Coney Island Bialys and Bagels — one of just two bakeries left in the borough that bakes their own bialys — after hearing that the 57-year-old shop was going to close.

3. “When I found out that they were going out of business I was shocked,” said Ali, who worked for the bakery’s owner Steven Ross for 11 years before leaving to become a cab driver in 2003. “I wanted a better future for the store.”

4. So Ali and Shah — former roommates who ate at the bakery when they shared a Midwood apartment in the early 1990s — contacted Ross and struck a deal to rent the business on Coney Island Avenue between Avenue U and Avenue T, rescuing it from a certain death.

5. Ali...quit his job as a cabbie and now spends his days at the bakery making kosher bagels and biayls using Ross’s family recipes.

6. News of the new ownership was first reported by The Jewish Daily Forward.

7. Neighbors said they were thrilled that the bakery would stay open at all.

“It’s good for the neighborhood,” said Joe Martelo. “They make a great product.”
Hole again! Cab drivers save Coney Island Bialys and Bagels • Brooklyn Daily

The area is Jewish, Muslim, Russian, and Chinese....

...God bless America.

It would be nice if Coney Island was the entire Middle East.

Forum List

Back