Bad Rx reaction

MaggieMae

Reality bits
Apr 3, 2009
Yikes. For reasons I won't go into, I was prescribed Vicodin (10 mg/325 mg Acetominiphine) for pain, and had a severe reaction to it last night.

First extremely sleepy (which I expected, so I didn't take the first dose until I was ready to call it a night), but a half hour later, I felt flushed which within minutes turned to being soaked in sweat, dizzy, nauseated and eventually threw up). I took my BP which was way low at 97/59/61. I thereafter sat very still and took my BP at half-hour intervals until about 2 hours later when it was back to normal at 121/60/73.

And the worst part is that IT DIDN'T RELIEVE THE PAIN AT ALL.

My experience aside, I keep wondering what the attraction is to prescription drugs in the first place to take as some kind of "escape" from some part of one's life they wish to dull. I would think that anyone having a reaction like mine would just say no to experimenting with such opiates that can cause this kind of reaction, especially considering the possibility of becoming addicted. It was very scary and I was this far away from calling 911.

Yikes. For reasons I won't go into, I was prescribed Vicodin (10 mg/325 mg Acetominiphine) for pain, and had a severe reaction to it last night.

First extremely sleepy (which I expected, so I didn't take the first dose until I was ready to call it a night), but a half hour later, I felt flushed which within minutes turned to being soaked in sweat, dizzy, nauseated and eventually threw up). I took my BP which was way low at 97/59/61. I thereafter sat very still and took my BP at half-hour intervals until about 2 hours later when it was back to normal at 121/60/73.

My experience aside, I keep wondering what the attraction is to prescription drugs in the first place to take as some kind of "escape" from some part of one's life they wish to dull. I would think that anyone having a reaction like mine would just say no to experimenting with such opiates that can cause this kind of reaction, especially considering the possibility of becoming addicted. It was very scary and I was this far away from calling 911.

I get sick from it to. That is some nasty stuff.

I am allergic to Vicodin. It makes me ITCH! It doesn't work for me either in terms of pain.

Sorry you had the bad reaction.

I can't stand the stuff. I've used it after surgery a couple of times, and after a day, stopped taking it. It did help with the pain, but I didn't like the sluggish feeling.

I can't stand prescription pain meds. I take 3 Advil 3 times a day for tough pain. I always get the script filled in case the Advil just doesn't work but that kind of hard medicine really makes me feel worse.

I can't stand the stuff. I've used it after surgery a couple of times, and after a day, stopped taking it. It did help with the pain, but I didn't like the sluggish feeling.

I had hundreds of them after surgery. I couldn't believe how much pain meds they prescribed. I finally told the DR not to bother giving them to me because i wasn't taking them. They were just baffled.

I was in the ER not to long ago...and the first thing they asked me was if i wanted anything for the pain.... i said no...just fix it! :eek:

I truly think that heavy drinking is a better option to pain meds.

I can't stand prescription pain meds. I take 3 Advil 3 times a day for tough pain. I always get the script filled in case the Advil just doesn't work but that kind of hard medicine really makes me feel worse.

That's all I've been doing, too. I just double the dose of IB or acetaminophen, switching back and forth usually every other day because IB works better for inflamation but doesn't work as well for pain.

So far, it seems no one thinks Vicodin and its partners are worth it, so again, I wonder why it's so popular among addict wannabes?

That's all I've been doing, too. I just double the dose of IB or acetaminophen, switching back and forth usually every other day because IB works better for inflamation but doesn't work as well for pain.

So far, it seems no one thinks Vicodin and its partners are worth it, so again, I wonder why it's so popular among addict wannabes?

I have no idea either! Though when i told my neighbor i was not taking them...she offered to take them of my hands... said "it took the edge off" :dunno:

I think drug addicts are just addicts...any drug will do.

The last time I took it I had a separated AC. I took two as directed and about an hour I threw up and it was blue. I also had the low BP. I hate that stuff, and it never took away the pain.

I've been prescribed Vicodin in the past for Kidney Stones. When I take that medication, I don't know what planet I am on. Not only does it relieve any pain I might have, it puts me in another world.

I've been prescribed Vicodin in the past for Kidney Stones. When I take that medication, I don't know what planet I am on. Not only does it relieve any pain I might have, it puts me in another world.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnFSaqFzSO8]YouTube - ‪Jimi Hendrix Purple Haze‬‏[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:

I have no idea either! Though when i told my neighbor i was not taking them...she offered to take them of my hands... said "it took the edge off" :dunno:

Well if they had a reaction like I did, it certainly wouldn't have "taken the edge off." In addition to the physical reactions, I was under a great deal of stress sure I was having a major heart attack and wouldn't live to see the light of day. I guess some people just don't have reactions like that. The script says those are symptoms but usually lessen once a regimen is begun. But I'm not gonna give it that long to find out!

I hear you coupla a years ago I had some oral surgery, and they gave me Vicodin, the effect sucked, I felt like I was sea sick, it made mentally fuzzy, felt like I had half Alzheimers, moved like I was in slow motion, I chucked it...

The last time I took it I had a separated AC. I took two as directed and about an hour I threw up and it was blue. I also had the low BP. I hate that stuff, and it never took away the pain.

So what did?

I've had Tylenol 3 with codeine following two different surgeries and that worked fine easing pain and I had no reaction.

Maybe if you're in another world, you just don't care about the pain? :lol: Actually, you probably hit on why it's popular.

I hear you coupla a years ago I had some oral surgery, and they gave me Vicodin, the effect sucked, I felt like I was sea sick, it made mentally fuzzy, felt like I had half Alzheimers, moved like I was in slow motion, I chucked it...

Seasick describes it perfectly. I had to stare straight ahead or I felt like I would tip over. Wobbling to the bathroom, which is only about 10 feet away, was a major undertaking.

People react differently to drugs. I've taken Vicodin once or twice and found it not that effective (at least the small dosage I took). However, I've also taken oxycodone, so the Vicodin may have just seemed ineffective by comparison.

Whatever the case, I would much rather take either of those drugs in sufficient dose rather than drink alcohol to relieve pain. I dislike the side effects of alcohol more than I do those of the opiates I've had, and I think the opiates were more effective pain killers.

As far as a simple high, I don't like the effects of alcohol. Or at least, as someone who does not drink, I don't like the effects when seen from a sober perspective. Alcohol makes people stupid, loud, sweaty, dirty, and basically unpleasant to be around for anyone who isn't also drinking. Add to that the vomiting, the hangover, and the fact that it would be bad for my reflux, and an opiate high seems much more appealing to me.

These things can be very different depending on the individual. And of course, whether as a pain-killer or to get high, people should BE CAREFUL with their drugs! Alcohol, prescription drugs, or illegal, they can be dangerous! I don't have a problem with people taking drugs for whatever reason, I just hate to see them abuse it and cause problems for themselves and those around them.

I'll shut up now before I choke on the thin air up on this high horse. :eusa_angel:

I am allergic to Vicodin. It makes me ITCH! It doesn't work for me either in terms of pain.

Sorry you had the bad reaction.

That's not an allergy. It's an adverse reaction that is well known to occur with opiate medications. There is a reason people who get IV opiates have benadryl on board as well.

A lot of people confuse adverse reactions with allergies. Allergies are things like anaphylaxis which will kill you. Adverse reactions are the unpleasant side effects to the drugs that are not abnormal or unexpected.

It becomes problematic in health care when someone confuses them and comes in with a drug allergy to 10 different things that aren't a true allergy. It's estimated that up to 90% of penicillin allergies aren't really allergies at all.

So when you go to see the Dr., the new trend is to ask patients to describe the allergy and what it did to them.

Acetaminophen does absolutely nothing for inflammation. It's good for fever and pain. NSAIDs like ibuproffin and aleve (naproxen) are good anti-inflammatory agents.

Because people want to get high. They aren't addict wannabes either. They are true addicts. It doesn't have to be a street drug for someone to be addicted to it.

You didn't give them to her, did you? Don't be a party to drug diversion!

Forum List

Back