Bad Rx reaction

Discussion in 'Health and Lifestyle' started by MaggieMae, Jun 19, 2011.

1. MaggieMae

MaggieMae Reality bits

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,601
    Yikes. For reasons I won't go into, I was prescribed Vicodin (10 mg/325 mg Acetominiphine) for pain, and had a severe reaction to it last night.

First extremely sleepy (which I expected, so I didn't take the first dose until I was ready to call it a night), but a half hour later, I felt flushed which within minutes turned to being soaked in sweat, dizzy, nauseated and eventually threw up). I took my BP which was way low at 97/59/61. I thereafter sat very still and took my BP at half-hour intervals until about 2 hours later when it was back to normal at 121/60/73.

And the worst part is that IT DIDN'T RELIEVE THE PAIN AT ALL.

My experience aside, I keep wondering what the attraction is to prescription drugs in the first place to take as some kind of "escape" from some part of one's life they wish to dull. I would think that anyone having a reaction like mine would just say no to experimenting with such opiates that can cause this kind of reaction, especially considering the possibility of becoming addicted. It was very scary and I was this far away from calling 911.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Momanohedhunter

Momanohedhunter BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +250
    I get sick from it to. That is some nasty stuff.

3. syrenn

syrenn BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,404

I am allergic to Vicodin. It makes me ITCH! It doesn't work for me either in terms of pain.

Sorry you had the bad reaction.

4. boedicca

boedicca Uppity Water Nymph Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,825
    I can't stand the stuff. I've used it after surgery a couple of times, and after a day, stopped taking it. It did help with the pain, but I didn't like the sluggish feeling.

5. Sarah G

Sarah G When Nothing Goes Right, Go Left Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,993
    I can't stand prescription pain meds. I take 3 Advil 3 times a day for tough pain. I always get the script filled in case the Advil just doesn't work but that kind of hard medicine really makes me feel worse.

6. syrenn

syrenn BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,404

I had hundreds of them after surgery. I couldn't believe how much pain meds they prescribed. I finally told the DR not to bother giving them to me because i wasn't taking them. They were just baffled.

I was in the ER not to long ago...and the first thing they asked me was if i wanted anything for the pain.... i said no...just fix it! :eek:

I truly think that heavy drinking is a better option to pain meds.

7. MaggieMae

MaggieMae Reality bits

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,601
    That's all I've been doing, too. I just double the dose of IB or acetaminophen, switching back and forth usually every other day because IB works better for inflamation but doesn't work as well for pain.

So far, it seems no one thinks Vicodin and its partners are worth it, so again, I wonder why it's so popular among addict wannabes?

8. syrenn

syrenn BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,404

I have no idea either! Though when i told my neighbor i was not taking them...she offered to take them of my hands... said "it took the edge off" :dunno:

I think drug addicts are just addicts...any drug will do.

9. Momanohedhunter

Momanohedhunter BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +250
    The last time I took it I had a separated AC. I took two as directed and about an hour I threw up and it was blue. I also had the low BP. I hate that stuff, and it never took away the pain.

10. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,722
    I've been prescribed Vicodin in the past for Kidney Stones. When I take that medication, I don't know what planet I am on. Not only does it relieve any pain I might have, it puts me in another world.