Bad News Komrades: Lead Bullets Don't Foul the Water Supply

Mad Scientist

Feels Good!
Sep 15, 2008
From 2004 Science Daily:
Do Lead Bullets Continue To Be A Hazard After They Land?
Professor James Craig, now retired, and Rimstidt looked first at lead corrosion and whether lead is leaching into the water table or streams. "Lead metal is unstable when it is in contact with air and water. It corrodes and forms hydrocerrussite, the white coating seen on old bullets in museums. That slows corrosion," Rimstidt said. However some lead escapes, he said. "But we learned that it is absorbed in the top few inches of soil and does not migrate beyond that," Rimstidt said. "Lead is not very mobile. It does not wash away in surface or ground water."
Damn!

And it gets worse:
Rimstidt''s conclusion is that shooting on controlled ranges reduces the overall risk to the public from lead in the environment.
But there is Hope! Americans are easy to brainwash so if we just keep repeating the Lie that "Lead Bullets Contaminate the Ground Water" we'll have a bullet ban in no time!

I haven't read or heard anything about a "bullet ban".

Guess you aren't a hunter. Try going duck hunting with lead shot and see what your green government will do to you.

Also guess that you don't reload your own ammunition. Just for fun, call some gun shops and sporting goods stores around you and ask what they have in the way of primers, powder, and any sort of bullet that would't be considered strictly a hunting round.

Last edited:
Plus, a bullet ban will work because Americans can't make them in their own garages. It's f*ckin' brilliant!

I don't make them in my garage, but I have knocked out over 1000 rounds of .45 acp and .308 win in the past month in my "man cave".

Powder, primers, and bullets are getting hard to come by though. I have been stockpiling since clinton was in office though, (pound of powder here, thousand primers there, bullets when I could find a deal) so I'm not likely to run out any time soon.

Plus, a bullet ban will work because Americans can't make them in their own garages. It's f*ckin' brilliant!

I don't make them in my garage, but I have knocked out over 1000 rounds of .45 acp and .308 win in the past month in my "man cave".

Powder, primers, and bullets are getting hard to come by though. I have been stockpiling since clinton was in office though, (pound of powder here, thousand primers there, bullets when I could find a deal) so I'm not likely to run out any time soon.

Shit man........cool stuff. Went through just 80 rounds of 44 magnum on Friday and cost me almost $100.00. I was just warming up and my wallet got too light.

SSDD.......dang my lever action Rossi 44 is like shooting a 12G with target loads. Didnt quite expect that kind of kick my first time out with this weapon. Like a bomb going off in the sand behind the target though.........:rock::rock::rock:.......at 60 paces, a zombie head remover round!!!

Shit man........cool stuff. Went through just 80 rounds of 44 magnum on Friday and cost me almost $100.00. I was just warming up and my wallet got too light.

SSDD.......dang my lever action Rossi 44 is like shooting a 12G with target loads. Didnt quite expect that kind of kick my first time out with this weapon. Like a bomb going off in the sand behind the target though.........:rock::rock::rock:.......at 60 paces, a zombie head remover round!!!

If it cost me that much to shoot, I am afraid that I wouldn't do it. I have been grousing about spending a quarter a round to make the .45 and half a buck each for .308's.

.44 is a bit heavy for my tastes. Overkill for whitetails and feral pigs which is really all that is around my part of the country that might pass for big game. I don't shoot bears because I don't shoot anything that I'm not going to eat.

For the most part I hunt with a Thompson Encore with a .270 bull barrell but later in the season I switch to a Remington 700 SPS tactical chambered for .308 win. I routinely make clean head shots on does at my place up in the mountains out to 225 yards and am pretty sure I could do further than that but 225 is the limit of my line of sight. I can get a sub 1 inch 5 shot group on paper at the range out to 550 meters.

Last edited:
Granny says, "Dat's right - it's dem sneaky Chinamens' tryin' to poison us...
:eek:
US rice imports 'contain harmful levels of lead'
10 April 2013 - Analysis of commercially available rice imported into the US has revealed it contains levels of lead far higher than regulations suggest are safe.
Some samples exceeded the "provisional total tolerable intake" (PTTI) set by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) by a factor of 120. The report at the American Chemical Society Meeting adds to the already well-known issue of arsenic in rice. The FDA told the BBC it would review the research. Lead is known to be harmful to many organs and the central nervous system. It is a particular risk for young children, who suffer significant developmental problems if exposed to elevated lead levels. Because rice is grown in heavily irrigated conditions, it is more susceptible than other staple crops to environmental pollutants in irrigation water. Recent studies have highlighted the presence of arsenic in rice - prompting consumption advice from the UK's Food Standards Agency and more recently from the FDA. However, other heavy metals represent a risk as well.

_66937455_rice_farming,_china-spl.jpg

The researchers found the highest levels of lead in rice from China and Taiwan

Dr Tsanangurayi Tongesayi of Monmouth University in New Jersey, US, and his team have tested a number of imported brands of rice bought from local shops. The US imports about 7% of its rice, and the team sampled packaged rice from Bhutan, Italy, China, Taiwan, India, Israel, the Czech Republic and Thailand - which accounts for 65% of US imports. The team measured the lead levels in each country-category and calculated the lead intake on the basis of daily consumption. The results will be published in the Journal of Environmental Science and Health (Part B). "When we compared them, we realised that the daily exposure levels are much higher than those PTTIs," said Dr Tongesayi. "According to the FDA, they have to be more than 10 times the PTTI levels (to cause a health concern), and our values were two to 12 times higher than those 10 times," he told BBC News.

'Globalised market'

"So we can only conclude that they can potentially cause harmful effects." That factor of 120 (12 times higher than 10 times the PTTI) alluded to by Dr Tongesayi is for Asian children, who are most susceptible by virtue of age and comparatively high rice intake on average. For non-Asian adults the excesses above the PTTI ranged from 20 to 40. Rice from China and Taiwan had the highest lead levels, but Dr Tongesayi stressed that all of the samples significantly exceeded the PTTIs. Dr Tongesayi has also worked on quantifying arsenic contamination - and is in effect working his way through the heavy metals one by one to determine their prevalence. The problem, he said, is the range of agricultural practices around the world. "If you look through the scientific literature, especially on India and China, they irrigate their crops with raw sewage effluent and untreated industrial effluent," he explained. "Research has been done in those countries, and concerns have been raised because of those practices, but it's still ongoing."

Dr Tongesayi also said that the increasing practice of sending electronic waste to developing countries - and the pollution it leads to - exacerbates the problem. "With a globalised food market, we eat food from every corner of the world, but pollution conditions are… different from region to region, agricultural practices are different from region to region, but we ignore that. "Maybe we need international regulations that will govern production and distribution of food." So far, such international oversight exists informally in the form of the Codex Alimentarius, a collection of food-safety standards first set out by the United Nations. FDA spokesman Noah Bartolucci told BBC News that the "FDA plans to review the new research on lead levels in imported rice released today". "As part of an ongoing and proactive effort to monitor and address contaminants in food traded internationally, FDA chairs an international working group to review current international standards for lead in selected commodities, including rice, and to revise, if necessary, maximum lead levels under the… Codex Alimentarius," he said.

BBC News - US rice imports 'contain harmful levels of lead'

Forum List

Back