Bacon in a Park is a ‘Hate Crime’ but Not a Crucifix in Urine

what i want to know is why liberals are allowing a RELIGIOUS prayer meeting in a public city GOVERNMENT park......

.....isn't that mixing CHURCH AND STATE......:ack-1:

Nope. Groups are free to use public parks as long as the rules and regulations neither favor nor disfavor religion. For example, back in 2004 a state park in Stafford County Virginia tried banning Christian Baptisms but was forced to allow them under threat of lawsuit by the ACLU Following Threat of ACLU of Virginia Lawsuit, Officials to Agree Not to Ban Baptisms in Public Parks | American Civil Liberties Union

there's no problem with separation. Now, a permanent display showing support of some religion would be...but allowing groups to conduct their own ceremonies? Not a separation issue.

then there shouldn't be a problem with Christians saying prayers in the schools and having their own ceremonies and parties like around Christmas....:rolleyes:

No one is forced to attend a prayer service in the park, but everyone's children go to public school and setting aside special time for jus the Christians to pray is wrong.

As to cermonies and celebrations, I'd need an example.

what i want to know is why liberals are allowing a RELIGIOUS prayer meeting in a public city GOVERNMENT park......

.....isn't that mixing CHURCH AND STATE......:ack-1:

Nope. Groups are free to use public parks as long as the rules and regulations neither favor nor disfavor religion. For example, back in 2004 a state park in Stafford County Virginia tried banning Christian Baptisms but was forced to allow them under threat of lawsuit by the ACLU Following Threat of ACLU of Virginia Lawsuit, Officials to Agree Not to Ban Baptisms in Public Parks | American Civil Liberties Union

there's no problem with separation. Now, a permanent display showing support of some religion would be...but allowing groups to conduct their own ceremonies? Not a separation issue.

then there shouldn't be a problem with Christians saying prayers in the schools and having their own ceremonies and parties like around Christmas....:rolleyes:
There isn't. There is a problem with the school sponsoring/conducting prayers (telling children when/where/how/what to pray) or with school sponsored religious events...but there's no problem with the school allowing religious groups to use school property for such events as long as all groups are allowed.

It was littering, at worst.

If waving bacon at a Muslim is a hate crime, then so is waving a Nazi flag at a Jew. And the Supreme Court has already determined that waving Nazi flags at Jews is not a crime.

Link, please? I'm betting the case you're talking about doesn't involve going to a Jewish gathering and waving Nazi flags.

Does anyone have any idea what a "hate crime" is? Seems not. *shakes head*

aren't all crimes based in hate.....?

No. How much hate is there in speeding? Littering? Public indecency?

speeding-----hate the safety of others

littering-----hate for the beauty around you

public indecency------hate for other peoples' sense of decorum

i think all crimes have an element of hatred in them because crimes are all destructive/offensive in nature....

thus calling a crime a "hate crime" is just plain redundant....

No one is forced to attend a prayer service in the park, but everyone's children go to public school and setting aside special time for jus the Christians to pray is wrong.

Strawman alert......

Which public school takes time out of the day to force prayer for christians?

Brings to mind the debate over the Pledge of Allegiance not being allowed to be recited even after "under God" is removed.

Strawman alert......

Uh? He said prayer should be allowed in public school. I explained why school sponsored prayer is not allowed.

Well, that didn't happen.

So let me get this straight; if I eat a sausage biscuit on a public sidewalk in front of a mosque, am I "committing a hate crime"?

The purpose of putting the bacon in the park was to feed the animals. To expand the definition of a hate crime to include all acts which might possibly have a peripheral objection to a religious group would have absurd implications.

If feeding animals in the park is a hate crime, then has someone who gets a pet dog committed a hate crime if their neighbors are muslim and the dog owner knows that muslims have religious prohibitions against dogs? Suppose I have muslim neighbors and instead of a dog, I get a pot bellied pig. Is that a hate crime? Suppose every time I saw those muslims outside I started kissing my dog or my pig. Is tht a hate crime? Even if I showered my pet with lavish affection KNOWING the religious prohibition and intending to piss them off. Is it a hate crime?

It all boils down to too much pandering for the sake of political correctness. Religion and public parks don't mix to begin with.

There is nothing wrong with a religious group using a public park. They just have to realize that they don't have control of everyone else in the park. People feed the animals, they take dogs for a walk. If a fundamentalist Christian group had a permitted prayer meeting in the park and two gay guys started kissing right in front of them is that a hate crime? Certainly not.

At one time there was a requirement that to be a hate crime, there must be a crime. Tha idea is done now. Hate crimes are independent of any crime so that perfectly legal acts are now crimes of hatred. That's where this is going wrong.

Strawman alert......

Uh? He said prayer should be allowed in public school. I explained why school sponsored prayer is not allowed.

It would probably help if you understood the words you write.

Strawman alert......

not "school sponsored"........just the freedom to express prayer in volutary groups....on school grounds just like on public park grounds.....both are government spaces....

take for example a volutary Christmas party......instead of a mandatory "Holiday" party.....

Strawman alert......

not "school sponsored"........just the freedom to express prayer in volutary groups....on school grounds just like on public park grounds.....both are government spaces....

take for example a volutary Christmas party......instead of a mandatory "Holiday" party.....

I see no problem with having a Christain club, just like any other club.

Strawman alert......

and that's perfectly allowed..happens all the time. No teacher sponsorship and not disruptive, but "meet me at the flagpole" groups have been around forever.

That would be school sponsored. However IF groups are generally allowed to meet on school property, or students are generally allowed to have parties on school property, then a Christmas party would be allowed, following the same rules as any other non-academic group.

Forum List

Back