AZ pissed at UT for polluting AZ air

JakeStarkey

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2009
Those of us who live in Utah as well as elsewhere are terrified when the inversions arrive, making SLC, Provo, and Logan like "little Chinas." No AZ says UT is messing its air. It is funny that AZ is asking the hated EPA to take action.

Arizona business leaders say pollution from Utah is obstructing Grand Canyon views

By EMMA PENROD | The Salt Lake Tribune
First Published 1 hour ago • Updated 1 hour ago
http://www.sltrib.com/csp/mediapool/sites/sltrib/pages/printfriendly.csp?id=3924178
A coalition of Arizona businesses has joined the push for additional pollution controls at Utah's Hunter and Huntington coal-fired power plants, a move they hope will influence the Environmental Protection Agency as the deadline for the agency's decision on the matter looms.

Fifty Arizona business owners sent a letter to the EPA last week, urging the agency to consider the impact of its decision on the Grand Canyon and surrounding communities, which, according to the letter, supports more than 7,000 Arizona jobs and generates $10.6 billion in consumer spending.

Most who signed the letter, drafted by industry advocacy group Protect our Winters, are tied to the state's outdoor recreation industries.

I was at the Grand Canon last week.
View was great from every where I went.

But the view I'm looking most forward to is the Aggie Cougar game.
I'll have a great view of that ass kicking

• Banned
Yep, the pussies are going to get beat by the Aggies. Badly? You bet. After we beat the USC Trojans then we come after BYU.

I have driven through northern arizona and southern utah numerous times and have seen no signs of Air Pollution. I have driven through at least 8 times in the last year and a half.

• Banned
Then you were not paying attention.

I have seen pollution in Moab and St. George and the Utah and Salt Lake and Cache valleys in the last year.

Those of us who live in Utah as well as elsewhere are terrified when the inversions arrive, making SLC, Provo, and Logan like "little Chinas." No AZ says UT is messing its air. It is funny that AZ is asking the hated EPA to take action.

Arizona business leaders say pollution from Utah is obstructing Grand Canyon views

By EMMA PENROD | The Salt Lake Tribune
First Published 1 hour ago • Updated 1 hour ago
A coalition of Arizona businesses has joined the push for additional pollution controls at Utah's Hunter and Huntington coal-fired power plants, a move they hope will influence the Environmental Protection Agency as the deadline for the agency's decision on the matter looms.

Fifty Arizona business owners sent a letter to the EPA last week, urging the agency to consider the impact of its decision on the Grand Canyon and surrounding communities, which, according to the letter, supports more than 7,000 Arizona jobs and generates $10.6 billion in consumer spending.

Most who signed the letter, drafted by industry advocacy group Protect our Winters, are tied to the state's outdoor recreation industries.
Those plants are hundreds of miles away and could belch out raw black soot and not impact the Grand Canyon.

More "science" from the moonbats.

• Banned
Tell it to the powers in AZ.

I am not worried about moon bats from the far right pretending they understand environmental sciences.

I am not worried about moon bats from the far right pretending they understand environmental sciences.
Do tell us how the two plants fill the air hundreds of miles away with smoke.

The credentials of your experts - they own a business.

Wowzers.
Talk to AZ bub. You don't count.
Talk to some moonbat business owners who don't have a clue? No thanks.

OP is full of crap and zero science.

Do tell us how the two plants fill the air hundreds of miles away with smoke.

The credentials of your experts - they own a business.

Wowzers.
Talk to AZ bub. You don't count.
Talk to some moonbat business owners who don't have a clue? No thanks.

OP is full of crap and zero science.
That's your uninformed opinion, sure.

NPS: Explore Nature » Air Resources » Air Quality in Parks - Air Pollution Impacts at Grand Canyon NP

Many visitors come to Grand Canyon NP to enjoy views of a mile-deep chasm into the earth and a world-renowned showplace of geology. Unfortunately, these vistas are often obscured by haze caused by fine particles in the air, primarily from coal-burning power plants, both nearby and further away. Forest fires have the potential for serious visibility impacts to the park as well. Many of the same pollutants that ultimately fall out as nitrogen and sulfur deposition contribute to this haze. Additionally, organic compounds, soot, and dust reduce visibility.

Visibility effects at Grand Canyon NP include:
  • Reduction of the average natural visual range from about 170 miles (without the effects of pollution) to about 120 miles because of pollution;
  • Reduction of the visual range from about 120 miles to below 70 miles on high pollution days;
  • Frequent impairment of scenic vistas by haze.
(Source: IMPROVE 2010)

Additional Information:
  • Explore scenic vistas through a live webcam at Grand Canyon National Park.
  • Specific sources of pollution contribute to visibility impairment at the park:
    • The MOHAVE (Measurement of Haze and Visual Effects) network was established in 1992 to help determine the contributions of the Mohave Power Plant and other sources of haze in the Southwestern US. more »
    • The Winter Haze Intensive Tracer Experiment (WHITEX) was established in 1987 to study the visibility impacts of emissions from the Navajo Generating Station. more »
    • Non-industrial sources like fire and more distant sources like large urban areas and international emissions are also large contributors to haze in the park (Eatough et al. 1997; Green 1999; Eatough et al. 2001).
The National Park Services findings.

The Grand Canyon on a good day.......
gcgood.jpg

The Grand Canyon on a bad day......
gcbad.jpg

Air Pollution in the Grand Canyon

Visual evidence.

Forum List

Back