AVG-JOE's Thread on Politics - Check your insult arsenal at the door before entering.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by AVG-JOE, Jun 15, 2012.

1. AVG-JOE

AVG-JOE American Mutt Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,017
    Fair warning up front: Posts in this thread with insults will be deleted. All political topics and discussion welcome, think of this thread as a political coffee shop for grown-ups.

Step 1 in any lasting stability in our economy is fair and simple taxes. Addressing government spending before we settle on a fair way to collect government revenues is a waste of time and resources.

Step 1.1 is transparency in politics - it's time that responsibility for ALL political advertising be assumed by a living human or board of living humans as it is aired. There's nothing wrong with unlimited spending in politics, as long as all ads are signed by their promoters.

Discuss.
    Or post a new political topic.​
    Just remember not to call another member an idiot or a liar simply because they disagree with you.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. occupied

occupied Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,744
    I would love to see a greater push for responsibility and accountability in this country but the plutocracy just now got it how they want it and things are going to go in the other direction for a long time before the pendulum swings back.

3. konradv

konradv Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,673
    Uh oh, could be a short thread!

Step 1- I agree, tax reform is overdue. We can't decide what we can spend until we know what we're getting.

Step 1.1- Disagree. I'd like to see public financing of elections. The signing of ads presumes people are going to pay attention. I'd prefer a system in which politicians would have fewer expensive promises to keep in order to get campaign contributions.

4. AVG-JOE

AVG-JOE American Mutt Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,017
    How is it possible for a free people to be restricted in how much they can spend on politics? The only answer is for those spending the money to be accountable by name, and not allowed to hide behind corporate paper. Restricting the resources one can spend on speech is tantamount to restricting speech outright.

5. occupied

occupied Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,744
    That's the argument that the billionaires make to justify the fact that they can outspend and shout down anyone who is not a billionaire. It's time to turn down their megaphone and listen to those who cannot get a word in edgewise, the American working man (or woman).

6. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,971
    i think campaign financial reform is long overdue...esp now with super pacs and that money being tossed around

taxes: i pay them grudgingly

7. occupied

occupied Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,744
    No tax reform will ever again pass Washington that does not shift the tax burden sharply downward while the middle and working class increasingly look for representation that just isn't there anymore.

8. SniperFire

SniperFire Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,223
    If I am running a business or my household, or anything else that deals with cash flow, I must properly manage that cash flow - regardless of what I would like that cash flow to be some day - else my operation goes broke.

It is simply common sense.

9. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,971
    i think our current situation is the direct result of stupid voters...americans do not care to be good citizens....look how easily votes are purchased....we all remember the tax rebates under bush...it was a total waste...300 bucks a person....just a give away....and then obama....i love a president who tells the people they must suffer and give ...while he lives the lifestyle of the ****** rich....(o bitch and neg, its the truth and we all know it)

citizens that have allowed ourselves to be divided by what? perceived images? there are simply too many issues of distraction and the american voter is too stupid to see thru them.

10. SniperFire

SniperFire Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,223
    The Constitution says: Congress shall make no laws abridging the freedom of speech.

The Constitution does not say “Congress shall permit the government to abridge the speech of people and associations that the majority does not like.”

Do you REALLY believe that Congress should be able to squash the revenue-supported voice of the New York Times Corporation or MSNBC?

It is simply common sense.

“I am comfortable with dirty politics. I fear living with less free speech.”
    - Richard Cohen

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012