Autoworkers Union Keeps $6 Million Golf Course for Members at $33 Million Lakeside Re

WillowTree

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
The United Auto Workers may be out of the hole now that President Bush has approved a $17 billion bailout of the U.S. auto industry, but the union isn't out of the bunker just yet.

Even as the industry struggles with massive losses, the UAW brass continue to own and operate a $33 million lakeside retreat in Michigan, complete with a $6.4 million designer golf course. And it's costing them millions each year.

The UAW, known more for its strikes than its slices, hosts seminars and junkets at the Walter and May Reuther Family Education Center in Onaway, Mich., which is nestled on "1,000 heavily forested acres" on Michigan's Black Lake, according to its Web site.

FOXNews.com - Autoworkers Union Keeps $6 Million Golf Course for Members at $33 Million Lakeside Retreat - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

Ah now Willow shame on you!

You know your not supposed to tell things like this! hehe

And what are the costs of the perks of the management at the Big Three? Or is the idea that only management deserves anything extra? Tell you what, when the management at the Big Three gives up all bonuses, perks, and go on a straight salary of a max of 20 times what the lowest paid employee or temp makes, until the companys are profitable, and have payed back all taxpayer loans, then I'll talk to you about those evil union people that believe that they have as much right to play golf as the very rightous management.

And what are the costs of the perks of the management at the Big Three? Or is the idea that only management deserves anything extra? Tell you what, when the management at the Big Three gives up all bonuses, perks, and go on a straight salary of a max of 20 times what the lowest paid employee or temp makes, until the companys are profitable, and have payed back all taxpayer loans, then I'll talk to you about those evil union people that believe that they have as much right to play golf as the very rightous management.

well, we won't turn blue waitin on ya or nuttin!

When people are permitted to stand on a assembly line and work while slurring their speech and stumbling drunk and/or high, because of the grievance system and the union tying the company up, don't expect any sympathy from me. And please, I have dealt with these people daily, all three shifts for years and years, so don't anyone feed me the bull shit about this being rare. It isn't it.

There is enough blame to go around and the UAW owns more than it's share of it. But yes, instead of owning up, change the subject and talk about the management, as if that justifies the unions problems.

No wonder they are where they are. No one is willing to own up, just push blame and then ask the tax payer, yeah, the tax payer, the same ones you want to be car buyers, to bail you out. Ah, but, it's not a bail out, it's a loan! LOL

Amazing!

A CEO takes his salary and bonuses from the company,which is ultimately the shareholders.

Unions get their money from their members. Dues are supposed to pay for union expenses. You know costs of collective bargaining, benefits, etc.

Is that golf course and club open to ALL union members for free? If not the union is screwing its members.

Imagine that.

Do you suppose that NOW is a real good time for them to dump this $33 million resort and golf course onto the market?

Do you suppose that NOW is a real good time for them to dump this $33 million resort and golf course onto the market?
probably not the best time, but its costing them MILLIONS anually to maintain
sounds like getting it off their books, even at a loss, would improve their cash flow

probably not the best time, but its costing them MILLIONS anually to maintain
sounds like getting it off their books, even at a loss, would improve their cash flow

Yeah I suppose given the cost of maintaining it, you might be right.

When people are permitted to stand on a assembly line and work while slurring their speech and stumbling drunk and/or high, because of the grievance system and the union tying the company up, don't expect any sympathy from me. And please, I have dealt with these people daily, all three shifts for years and years, so don't anyone feed me the bull shit about this being rare. It isn't it.

There is enough blame to go around and the UAW owns more than it's share of it. But yes, instead of owning up, change the subject and talk about the management, as if that justifies the unions problems.

No wonder they are where they are. No one is willing to own up, just push blame and then ask the tax payer, yeah, the tax payer, the same ones you want to be car buyers, to bail you out. Ah, but, it's not a bail out, it's a loan! LOL

Amazing!

Amazing that such things are allowed. You show up in that condition where I work, and you are out the door. But I fail to see where this is revelant to the subject. If the union owns that golf course, and all the members are allowed to use it, then it is up to the union whether they care to keep it.

Amazing that such things are allowed. You show up in that condition where I work, and you are out the door. But I fail to see where this is revelant to the subject. If the union owns that golf course, and all the members are allowed to use it, then it is up to the union whether they care to keep it.
in the original story, it's just for the Union "brass" to use

The United Auto Workers may be out of the hole now that President Bush has approved a $17 billion bailout of the U.S. auto industry, but the union isn't out of the bunker just yet.

Even as the industry struggles with massive losses, the UAW brass continue to own and operate a $33 million lakeside retreat in Michigan, complete with a $6.4 million designer golf course. And it's costing them millions each year.

The UAW, known more for its strikes than its slices, hosts seminars and junkets at the Walter and May Reuther Family Education Center in Onaway, Mich., which is nestled on "1,000 heavily forested acres" on Michigan's Black Lake, according to its Web site.

FOXNews.com - Autoworkers Union Keeps $6 Million Golf Course for Members at $33 Million Lakeside Retreat - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

I think it's a crock. This, and the salaries of the S&L executives are ridiculous. These guys are rewarding themselves for being failures.

IMO, any bailout money given to ANY of these failed corporations should accompanied by a required corporate restructuring, and salary cuts to get these executives pay more in tune with their abilities, or lack thereof.

I think it's a crock. This, and the salaries of the S&L executives are ridiculous. These guys are rewarding themselves for being failures.

IMO, any bailout money given to ANY of these failed corporations should accompanied by a required corporate restructuring, and salary cuts to get these executives pay more in tune with their abilities, or lack thereof.
i find it hard to believe the BoD on these corporations are willing to pay these failures so much
but i don't support the government bailing any of them out
if that sends a message of any kind it says you can destroy your own business and still reap the rewards of actually running a successful business

How about EVERYONE takes a cut?

Including the union, namely, losing something like this unnecessary resort. When times get tough, you cut your losses. That's being responsible.

Forum List

Back