Authentic Philly cheese steaks

Cheez Whiz blows.

I lived in Philly for 15 years and really have had my "phil' of cheesesteaks. Ironically, the best Philly Cheese Steak I ever had was in Boulder CO. But they used filet, so it was basically cheating.

I have never had them with Cheese Whiz but I remembered coming across it before. Additionally, I had never made them myself. I found myself in an argument after buying the ingredients without the Cheese Whiz. I made a comment on that the originals were made with it which led to an argument with my child.

The best cheese steak I ever had was in a little town in New Hampshire. about ten years ago. I can't remember the name of the restaurant or the town, but that sandwich was great...

Only place I got Cheese Whiz was South St, all other places like in the N.E. was Mozzarella (hence pizza steak) and Provolone was for meatball sandwiches.
The Whiz was real good but real messy, as they forgot the Napkins, it just made for a not so pleasant experience for my car passengers trying to find things in my center consul to wipe the grease off that was driping onto their chin.
This was the 80's, so all I had were Billy Idol type fingerless gloves
MADE OUT OF BLACK DRESS SOCKS.
So yeah they wiped their mouths with my repurposed socks. *L*
Eventually a sub shop in the N.E. introduced to us the Steak Hogie, lettuce onion tomato and lots of mayo, and there the cheese was usually provolone, mozz, or American and never whiz of course. If ever you find yourself out of crush tomato sauce or your container went moldy, try it with mayo and cheese and make a hogie, it's a different approach worth exploring and mixing it up time to time.

The best cheese steak I ever had was in a little town in New Hampshire. about ten years ago. I can't remember the name of the restaurant or the town, but that sandwich was great...
If you're up around here, screw the cheese steak and get a roast beef sandwich. That's what the north shore of MA is better known for.

Serious question. Life or death matter.

Are authentic Philly cheese steaks made with Cheeze Wiz?
Hell no! Mozzarella. I grew with some of the best ever; But it was NY Philly Cheese Steak.

Huge sammich! Like 1 lb of steak, peppers, onions and mushrooms, all on this 12" x ..I'd say 5" toasted bread that was awesome! I could get it delivered up until 2AM. And if it after midnight, the dude delivered it himself. OMG, when we were younger..we used to prank-call this motherfucker..you know..with things like "Hey! Is your refrigerator running?"
"Well you better go catch it!" So; I'm in there and just ordered the Philly Cheese Steak, and this motherfucker goes "Hey! I think your voice sounds mighty familiar." I was busted bigger than shit. He knew it was me and razzed me a bit that night, but I bought them Philly Cheesesteaks for at least a decade. They were damn good! I'd rather have that than pizza.
And I did a lotta times. Pretty sure he was from The Bronx. You couldn't find a deal that good these days, hardly.
He was a great cook.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back