Attention, gun control supporters:

How are you going to get criminals to obey the law?

I've never gotten a rational, workable answer to this question in all the years I've asked it on this and other boards.

I'd suggest you ask Ritchie Daley or his successor Rham Emanuel. There must be some sort of cause and effect as a result of the stringent Chicago gun laws. I'm sure of it.

I've never gotten a rational, workable answer to this question in all the years I've asked it on this and other boards.

Raise the stakes. If a criminal (or anyone else) is caught with an assault weapon, make the penalty death.

I never understood why anyone cannot apply common sense to this issue, the fact is that "scum" like those that have taken innocent lives in mass killings recently are just that scum and do not represent everyone who owns a gun, more to the contrary, people like that are despised by the vast majority of gun owners as well as any criminal who has no business with a gun in their possession. My feelings are that if any legislation needs to be applied here, it should be focused on keeping guns out of the hands of those who have no business having them, that is why I have never had an issue with closing the "gun show loophole" or for that matter punishing people who make straw purchases and those that employ them to make those purchases. Last year 10,800 people died in drunk driving crashes despite the fact that most states now have pretty strict drunk driving laws, applying the same logic I don't see many advocating for the outright ban on cars for everyone. What I do see however is an ever increasing number of more strict laws that apply to those who do drive drunk, and it would seem to me this would be a good place to start to keep these weapons out of the hands of people that hand no business having them.

That's a good question. There are generally two ways to convince anyone to do anything:

1) Persuade them that it's in their best interests to voluntarily do something.
2) Use force.

Persuasion has it's advantages. Especially when attempting to so with the Spirit and the Good word of God. Because that's one of the few things that is more powerful than the use of force. Unfortuantely, that's usually not what's being used to persuade people.

Force is generally how governments work. Since it's obvious the citizens won't have guns to defend themselves, we would have to put our first responders in more danger to enforce gun laws. Which will not be easy. Because police don't stop gun violence, they respond to it.

The answer, unfortunately, is that they don't.

What an illogical question. Using your logic, drunk driving shouldn't be illegal since drunks are going to drive drunk anyway. You're suggesting that we shouldn't pass laws because criminals are going to break them, and that makes no sense.

No one expects criminals to obey the law. If one were to follow your logic, we would have no laws making child molesting a crime. I hope that helps and is not too abstract for you to comprehend.

What an illogical question. Using your logic, drunk driving shouldn't be illegal since drunks are going to drive drunk anyway. You're suggesting that we shouldn't pass laws because criminals are going to break them, and that makes no sense.

But they punish the offender.. they don't take the brand of car the DD used off the market

I'd suggest you ask Ritchie Daley or his successor Rham Emanuel. There must be some sort of cause and effect as a result of the stringent Chicago gun laws. I'm sure of it.

The effect has been to make a stroll around Kabul safer than a stroll around the south side of Chicago.

If that's what the left was after, it was a huge success.

Raise the stakes. If a criminal (or anyone else) is caught with an assault weapon, make the penalty death.
You want to make possession of an object a capital crime?

By definition, criminals do not obey the law.

Hope that was helpful.
Indeed. It highlights that gun laws affect only law-abiding people who, also by definition, do not break the law, and are therefore no threat.

So, what's the point of more gun laws, anyway?

My question is logical...that's why you can't recognize it.

Gun laws are designed to keep guns out of the hands of criminals. At least that's what they're sold as.

But they don't work, do they?

Forum List

Back