Attention Atheist Leftwingers: Please Go Live in One of the 5 Officially Atheist Countries For a Year. Then We'll See if You Sing the Same Tune

On the off chance (and it is a very long shot) that someone musters enough votes to amend the US Constitution to make Christianity the official religion, I think you will find major opposition to it being catholicism. If such an amendment did take place, it would most likely be an American protestant faith.
No, the mainline protestant denominations don't even know what they believe anymore.

No, the mainline protestant denominations don't even know what they believe anymore.

I'm pretty sure they don't believe that a religion run by someone in another country is not going to work here.

And they believe in enough of the same things to stop us from becoming Catholic. I'd bet on either the Baptists or the Lutheran Church. The Lutherans are the most like the Catholics without having a Pope.

How are all these other religions doing in China, Cuba, or North Korea right now?

They are doing terrible. Are you saying that if we become a Xtian nation, all other faiths will be treated like they are treated in atheist nations? If so, you need to work on your sales pitch.

They are doing terrible. Are you saying that if we become a Xtian nation, all other faiths will be treated like they are treated in atheist nations? If so, you need to work on your sales pitch.
Did I say anything like that, troll? It doesn't even make sense.

Did I say anything like that, troll? It doesn't even make sense.

Then why ask how they are doing in atheists nations? You obviously made the comparison.

And for you to assume the US would become officially a Christian nation, and chose a faith based in another country is laughable.

It will be a US centered protestant faith, if you and your ilk ever pull off this scam. But I'd be willing to bet the farm that doesn't happen.

With perhaps the exception of NK, the people of all those countries are religious.

I'm pretty sure they don't believe that a religion run by someone in another country is not going to work here.

And they believe in enough of the same things to stop us from becoming Catholic. I'd bet on either the Baptists or the Lutheran Church. The Lutherans are the most like the Catholics without having a Pope.
Lutherans and Baptists don't know what they believe either. They are divided on the gay issue

Then why ask how they are doing in atheists nations? You obviously made the comparison.

And for you to assume the US would become officially a Christian nation, and chose a faith based in another country is laughable.

It will be a US centered protestant faith, if you and your ilk ever pull off this scam. But I'd be willing to bet the farm that doesn't happen.
Because you said our being a Catholic nation would trash all the other religions, which is ridiculous. I then pointed to what we would become of those other religions if we do not become a Christian nation: just like the atheist countries in which all the other religions are totally silenced.

Lutherans and Baptists don't know what they believe either. They are divided on the gay issue

And I am sure they will work out that division.

Meanwhile, the Catholics have only allowed cremation since the 1960s, and do not allow the ashes to be scattered.

And the division over whether women can lead is another mark against them. Just like forced celibacy in the catholic clergy.

Given those issues, most of the Americans who will back amending the US Constitution are more patriotic than not, and will vote for an "American Protestant" faith.

People practice many religions in China, despite the official position of the CCP.
They've had to go completely underground to do it. The atheist Chinese government has basically declared war on Christianity.

And I am sure they will work out that division.

Meanwhile, the Catholics have only allowed cremation since the 1960s, and do not allow the ashes to be scattered.

And the division over whether women can lead is another mark against them. Just like forced celibacy in the catholic clergy.

Given those issues, most of the Americans who will back amending the US Constitution are more patriotic than not, and will vote for an "American Protestant" faith.
The cremation thing has nothing to do with anything we are talking about. The RCC is and has been united on the gay issue, abortion, and every other major moral issue. Protestant denominations have not. We are clearly the ones who can lead and we have the biggest numbers of any denomination.

Because you said our being a Catholic nation would trash all the other religions, which is ridiculous. I then pointed to what we would become of those other religions if we do not become a Christian nation: just like the atheist countries in which all the other religions are totally silenced.

Yes, the Roman Catholic church has been so generous and nice to protestants over the centuries. *sarcasm*

And the atheist countries are hostile to all religions. But our secular govt is not. That is the biggest difference between reality and your fear mongering.

Catholics represent about 23% of the population in the US. Protestants represent about 43% of the population in the US. If you push for the country to declare itself Christian and Catholic, you will lose a large portion of that 43%.

They've had to go completely underground to do it. The atheist Chinese government has basically declared war on Christianity.
Those Christian groups officially registered with the CCP are free to practice their religion, and many others do as well. It is perhaps the fastest growing faith in China today, having been active in the country since 635 AD. There are millions of Muslims and many more Buddhists and Taoists active in their religions in China today.

The cremation thing has nothing to do with anything we are talking about. The RCC is and has been united on the gay issue, abortion, and every other major moral issue. Protestant denominations have not. We are clearly the ones who can lead and we have the biggest numbers of any denomination.

No, you don't. You might have numbers against each individual faction of Protestants. But 22% of the US population is Catholic, and 43% is Protestant. They will unite against you.

And look at the number of people who accept homosexuality. That is a losing battle here. Some polls show as many as 72% of the US population saying homosexuality should be accepted.

And women being in leadership positions in the church? How has that worked out?

And requiring celibacy for their clergy? Most people think that is ridiculous.

Yes, the Roman Catholic church has been so generous and nice to protestants over the centuries. *sarcasm*

And the atheist countries are hostile to all religions. But our secular govt is not. That is the biggest difference between reality and your fear mongering.

Catholics represent about 23% of the population in the US. Protestants represent about 43% of the population in the US. If you push for the country to declare itself Christian and Catholic, you will lose a large portion of that 43%.
You lump all protestant denominations together, but they are not monolithic. Catholics are.
For the 100th time, our government is not currently atheist, but we are headed that way, unless it's changed.
Also, for the 100th time, so-called "secularism" and atheism are indistinguishable in terms of issue positions. Proof of that is the question which you dodge every time: "What is the secular position on abortion?"

And women being in leadership positions in the church? How has that worked out?

And requiring celibacy for their clergy? Most people think that is ridiculous.
You're applying your atheist values and opinions, which are irrelevant to the way things should be.

You lump all protestant denominations together, but they are not monolithic. Catholics are.
For the 100th time, our government is not currently atheist, but we are headed that way, unless it's changed.
Also, for the 100th time, so-called "secularism" and atheism are indistinguishable in terms of issue positions. Proof of that is the question which you dodge every time: "What is the secular position on abortion?"

Except that an atheist gov't fights against religion. A secular one does not.

I lump them together because they will present a united front against a Catholic federal government. When you start your efforts to amend the US Constitution to make the US a Christian nation, the question of which version of "Christianity" will obviously come up. It will be stated before the amendment is passed. Your call for Catholicism will kill that amendment before it ever gets started.

Forum List

Back