Attention all spelling and grammar police, what the hell does this headline even mean?

"Widow of Utah mayor."

Try small bits until you learn to read the whole sentence.

The mayor was killed while serving in the military in Afghanistan

Now, had you noticed the real fubar, it is the statement that Utah has a mayor we would have graduated you from elementary school.

"Widow of Utah mayor."

Now, had you noticed the real fubar, it is the statement that Utah has a mayor we would have graduated you from elementary school.

Read it again it says she was a widow before he was killed..

So was she a widow before the mayor was killed?
Not seeing what you are talking about. Why do you think she was a widow before he was killed? He died on Sat and she told everyone to vote on Monday.

It needs a comma

No?
According to this.....No.

grammer.png

"Widow of Utah mayor."

The Motivation for This Thread Is to Give the Low-IQ rant "Grammar Nazi!" a Good Name

It means "a mayor of a town in Utah." In order to save ink and space, headlines have to be compressed, which often leads to confusion. Or, in the case of the critics here, pretended confusion caused by dishonest nitpicking.

Utah has a mayor?

That's one BIG city. I hope he has help.

0993a095cced6d4f08ac10b57368040f.png

"Widow of Utah mayor."

Any Country That Lets a Contradiction Like "Clueless" Become a Common Word Is Alienated From Its Own Language

I'm surprised that you don't go even further with your fake criticism by claiming it says that the widow was killed in Afghanistan. Imagine, and I'm sure you will, that a woman's husband has died and it makes her feel so empty that she decides to join the Army and gets sent to Afghanistan.

Utah has a mayor?

That's one BIG city. I hope he has help.

0993a095cced6d4f08ac10b57368040f.png
"Who's on First?" and All That Utah Jazz

Playing the game on this silly thread makes me believe it means that Utah died and its widow became a mayor and then killed people in Afghanistan. which reminds me to vote so that I, too, can kill towelheads if that activity is precious to me.

Was the mayor killed or the widow? Do they still use the term "widow" these days? What about the voting angle? Was he or she assassinated while they tried to send an absentee ballot?

"Widow of Utah mayor."

Then viola it's settled science.

"Widow of Utah mayor."

No it doesn't. The headline actually makes no reference at all to a timeline.

Reading the very first line in the link:

Jennie Taylor, the widow of North Ogden, Utah mayor and Army National Guard member Maj. Brent Taylor, spoke these words on Tuesday morning at Dover Airfield Base in Delaware. Her husband was fatally shot in Afghanistan on Saturday by an Afghan commando he was training. Taylor was serving his fourth deployment in Afghanistan and was expected to return home in January.

"Widow of Utah mayor."

It doesn't say that Utah has a mayor. Comprehending that he was a mayor in the State of Utah, the sentence reads correctly.

"Widow of Utah mayor."

Who was mayor while he was away from his job

Forum List

Back