Atheist answer to the 10 Commandments: 10 rational positions

Czernobog

Gold Member
Sep 29, 2014
Corner of Chaos and Reason
  1. Be open minded and willing to alter your beliefs with new evidence.
  2. Strive to understand what is most likely to be true, not believe what you want to be true.
  3. The scientific method is the most reliable way of understanding the natural world.
  4. Every person has the right to control their own body.
  5. God is not necessary to be a good person, or to live a full and meaningful life.
  6. Be mindful of the consequences of all of your actions and recognise that you must take responsibility for them.
  7. Treat others as you would want them to treat you, and can reasonably expect they want to be treated.
  8. We have the responsibility to consider others, including future generations - which is not to be confused with unborn non-viable fetuses.
  9. There is no right way to live.
  10. Leave the world a better place than you found it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These are rational positions by which to live one's life; unlike certain "commandments" of an irrational mythology one might mention.

2. Strive to understand what is most likely to be true, not believe what you want to be true.
  3. The scientific method is the most reliable way of understanding the natural world.
  5. God is not necessary to be a good person, or to live a full and meaningful life.
  6. Be mindful of the consequences of all of your actions and recognise that you must take responsibility for them.
  7. Treat others as you would want them to treat you, and can reasonably expect they want to be treated.
  8. We have the responsibility to consider others, including future generations - which is not to be confused with unborn non-viable fetuses.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These are rational positions by which to live one's life; unlike certain "commandments" of an irrational mythology one might mention.
Sounds like a good purposeful person

According to Spare Change it's "sanctimonious BS". Of course, Spare change thinks that the 10 commandments are the perfectly rational rules for living handed down directly from God to Man, so his opinion is clearly contributive.

More sanctimonious BS from our resident egotist.
Yet another ad hominem attack from our resident irrational fanatic.
Are we somehow supposed to believe that this fantastical set of rules is the answer? Are YOU God?
Fuck off, idiot. Read the thread title, then read the OP - all of it - then attack me, again, since you are clearly incapable of a rational response...
First, I read it all ....

Second, I am appalled at the hubris of those who think they are so much more gifted than anyone else that they have the moral authority to try to dictate how people live their lives.

Third, I find your inflated sense of self-importance to be offensive in the extreme. I am stunned that someone who put this list together thinks that others should fall to their knees in blind obedience to the obviously superior intellect demonstrated by 10 lines of bullshit. You offer these as if you are some superior level of intelligence, deigning to pass on the fruits of your wisdom, when, in fact, the ignorance is virtually dripping from every word. The whole thing is a poorly veiled attempt to further specific political values by elevating them to the level of "commandments".

Fourth, you offer no rules - you offer "suggestions" There isn't a concrete piece of logical or philosophical merit in a single one of those "commandments", much less in the package as a whole. You tout the simplicity, but intentionally ignore the outward consequences. Simplicity would seem to be appropriate, but maybe simplistic is more germane.

Your "suggestions" are nothing more than a feeble attempt to demonstrate some level of intelligence you have yet to attain.

Rational response? Drivel like this doesn't deserve a rational response - it deserves ridicule and contempt, and must be dismissed by all adult rational thinkers.

According to Spare Change it's "sanctimonious BS". Of course, Spare change thinks that the 10 commandments are the perfectly rational rules for living handed down directly from God to Man, so his opinion is clearly contributive.
Are we taking a poll?

Well, that makes two idiots .....

Are we somehow supposed to believe that this fantastical set of rules is the answer? Are YOU God?
Fuck off, idiot. Read the thread title, then read the OP - all of it - then attack me, again, since you are clearly incapable of a rational response...

Second, I am appalled at the hubris of those who think they are so much more gifted than anyone else that they have the moral authority to try to dictate how people live their lives.

Third, I find your inflated sense of self-importance to be offensive in the extreme. I am stunned that someone who put this list together thinks that others should fall to their knees in blind obedience to the obviously superior intellect demonstrated by 10 lines of bullshit. You offer these as if you are some superior level of intelligence, deigning to pass on the fruits of your wisdom, when, in fact, the ignorance is virtually dripping from every word. The whole thing is a poorly veiled attempt to further specific political values by elevating them to the level of "commandments".

Fourth, you offer no rules - you offer "suggestions" There isn't a concrete piece of logical or philosophical merit in a single one of those "commandments", much less in the package as a whole. You tout the simplicity, but intentionally ignore the outward consequences. Simplicity would seem to be appropriate, but maybe simplistic is more germane.

Your "suggestions" are nothing more than a feeble attempt to demonstrate some level of intelligence you have yet to attain.

Rational response? Drivel like this doesn't deserve a rational response - it deserves ridicule and contempt, and must be dismissed by all adult rational thinkers.
This is why I say that you are a fucking idiot:
"I am appalled at the hubris of those who think they are so much more gifted than anyone else that they have the moral authority to try to dictate how people live their lives."​
And then, in the same fucking post:
"you offer no rules - you offer 'suggestions'"​

When you can suss out how irrational, and contradictory your idiotic post is, then feel free to respond with another of your "scathing" (yes, that is sarcasm) personal attacks.

"I am appalled at the hubris of those who think they are so much more gifted than anyone else that they have the moral authority to try to dictate how people live their lives."​

When you can suss out how irrational, and contradictory your idiotic post is, then feel free to respond with another of your "scathing" (yes, that is sarcasm) personal attacks.
When your position is indefensible, you offer no defense.

I called your post BS ... you immediately jumped to the "personal attack" defense, in a childish attempt to invoke sympathy. You continue to cry about being challenged, without offering any defense of your supposed position.

I'm not surprised ... but i AM disappointed.

I called your post BS ... you immediately jumped to the "personal attack" defense, in a childish attempt to invoke sympathy. You continue to cry about being challenged, without offering any defense of your supposed position.

Cry?!?! LMFAO! In case you haven't noticed , moron, I haven't cried, I demonstrated how irrational, contradictory, and stupid your post was. But, at least you are honest enough to be disappointed in yourself. Maybe you should try harder.

Incidentally, Spare_change , the one thing you got right is that the 10 Rational positions are suggestions. After all, #8: There is no right way to live. That position, alone, dictates that no one has the moral authority to dictate to anyone else how they have to live. The fact that they are suggestions, alone, makes them light years better than the 10 commandments, which presumes that anyone has the authority to dictate a set personal morality to anyone else.

Who dictates what is moral or immoral? What makes good rewarding and bad evil? How do you affirm this to be true?

Cry?!?! LMFAO! In case you haven't noticed , moron, I haven't cried, I demonstrated how irrational, contradictory, and stupid your post was. But, at least you are honest enough to be disappointed in yourself. Maybe you should try harder.
You have demonstrated nothing - nothing - except your penchant to deflect the attention from the sheer effrontery of your original post thru personal attacks.

Incidentally, Spare_change , the one thing you got right is that the 10 Rational positions are suggestions. After all, #8: There is no right way to live. That position, alone, dictates that no one has the moral authority to dictate to anyone else how they have to live. The fact that they are suggestions, alone, makes them light years better than the 10 commandments, which presumes that anyone has the authority to dictate a set personal morality to anyone else.
Relativism is now your goal??? Interesting ... it all depends on who is doing what to who, right?

these are called 'refutations'
store it deep in the base of your knowledge where you assume satan resides, cultist
Ahhhhh --- finally, we get to it. I thought y'all would never get there.

You aren't interested in promulgating your "suggestions" .... you want to use them to refute the existence, and the power, of God. You are so concerned that your personal liturgical choices might be wrong that you need to have approval and reassurance that you haven't made a cosmic mistake.

You are so afraid that you're wrong that it is necessary for you to tear down what others believe in order to give your own belief process some credence. It's not enough for you to be "comfortable" in your beliefs - you have to make sure that everybody else supports you. You can't stand the idea of someone being secure, and perfectly content, in their choices.

You try to mask your fear in faulty logic, parlor tricks, word games, and downright lies. You look for anything - anything - that will give you peace of mind.

Deep down, where you don't like to think about it, you're scared shitless. You are absolutely petrified that there just MIGHT be a God, and you made the wrong choice and are condemning yourselves to an eternity in Hell.

We understand.

So you hate the people who wrote the Bible’s? I read your second point and that question immediately came to mind

You left out #11, Attack people who believe in God wherever you find them.

Forum List

Back