Atheism & Altruism

:lol:

I suppose people that don't believe crops circles, Stonehenge, etc. weren't put here by aliens are just fooling themselves as well. Simply because they can't know!

:rofl:

To understand my point about Atheism requires less literal and more lateral thinking.

I freely concede that if one strictly adheres to the dictionary definition of atheism (disbelief in the existence of deity) then my position fails. Clearly there is no logical basis to suggest that anyone would be fooling themselves about what they believe or disbelieve.

That's really all you had to say

The actual point I've been waiting to make, which I admit was thickly and intentionally veiled in the OP, is that Atheism, like any form of Theism, requires faith.

Atheism is not a form of theism. You fail at English. A= without. Atheism means 'without theism'

And where Atheists are fooling themselves is believing it does not.

You can demonstrate that 'it' exists? What is the 'it' you are referring to, exactly?

And to categorically dismiss the possible existence of God based solely on what we do know, understanding that there is far more that we don't know, is to take a leap of faith regarding the unknown.

That's an argument against gnosticism, not against atheism. Once again you demonstrate a complete lack of understanding regarding the subject matter.
The only difference is that Theists leap one way, and Atheists leap another

Atheists do not 'leap' to anything,. The reason many atheists are atheists is because they are positivists or empiricists, as opposed to superstitious, anti-intellectual cavemen
. And Agnostics just throw up their hands and say I really don't give a fuck,

That's not what agnosticism means, either.

All this time wasted and you couldn't Google this shit?

I didn't say that Atheism is a form of Theism.

And no, I couldn't just Google it since I'm actually thinking for myself rather than regurgitating what somebody else has to say. But I completely understand how foreign a concept that is for you to grasp.

Carry on

To understand my point about Atheism requires less literal and more lateral thinking.

I freely concede that if one strictly adheres to the dictionary definition of atheism (disbelief in the existence of deity) then my position fails. Clearly there is no logical basis to suggest that anyone would be fooling themselves about what they believe or disbelieve.

The actual point I've been waiting to make, which I admit was thickly and intentionally veiled in the OP, is that Atheism, like any form of Theism, requires faith. And where Atheists are fooling themselves is believing it does not. I submit that any intelligent, educated and intellectually honest adult recognizes that there is more that we don't know about our world, the universe, conscious existence and self-awareness than we do know. And to categorically dismiss the possible existence of God based solely on what we do know, understanding that there is far more that we don't know, is to take a leap of faith regarding the unknown. The only difference is that Theists leap one way, and Atheists leap another. And Agnostics just throw up their hands and say I really don't give a fuck, I got mouths to feed and bills to pay for crying out loud!

I think I actually agree in the concept of faith as being a wild speculative guess to an answer. Only one problem with this--If your wild speculative guess leads to suicidal thoughts, justification of murder and war, non-reality based opinions and claims that can only be shared with those that made the same wild speculative guess as you have. Then is it not reasonable to conclude that you guessed wrong??

Mani--only you can seed the concept that "faith denies god". Totally illogical on the surface, but totally reasonable using your thoughts on the subject of faith.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back