At what point will you keep your children home from school due to swine flu?

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I was thinking about this because my kids attend a program which is populated by public school kids a couple of afternoons a week.

Will you keep the kids home if there is an outbreak in your area or will you wait till the school is closed?

If my kids come home and start telling me a fair amount of kids are sick - especially if they're in school and sick - I'd keep them home. We haven't been sick in our house for several years. Occasional cold but that's about it. I keep my kids home from school if they are running a fever or show obvious signs of being ill. My mom always kept us home when we were sick until we had one full day without a fever. Pretty good rule of thumb.

I think that time is getting close for us. We may have to give up some of the kids' extracurricular activities.

The city Health Department has confirmed five more swine-flu cases, increasing the total in New York City to 49, the agency's commissioner said Wednesday.

Health Department Commissioner Thomas Frieden said the new cases were considered probable Tuesday but have since been confirmed by the Centers for Disease Control in Atlanta. The cases include a 19-month-old Bronx boy and a Brooklyn woman, both of whom had to be hospitalized.

Swine flu confirmed in Bronx boy, Brooklyn woman -- Newsday.com

They have closed two Catholic schools in Brooklyn including one that is less than a mile from our home.

As a teacher, Zoom-boing's guidelines are correct. If a child vomits or has a temperature, they should be 'symptom free' for 24 hours.

Under these conditions I truly wish parents would follow them, but I know they won't. I'm luckier than those that teach younger students, mine are pretty good about covering their mouths and discarding tissues. I talked with them that while hand washing is always a good idea, now it's more important. If they sneeze; go wash hands, etc. They are not running out of the room, I think they know that would cause different problems.

Today we had school mass. My 7th graders 'buddy' with the first graders. As usual I had two hyper 1st graders on either side of myself. Coughing, no covering. Sneezing into hands, wiping on pants. Came time to 'hold hands' during The Lord's Prayer. Sigh, I grabbed their wrists and bit my lip. I patted them on the back instead of hand shakes for 'sign of peace.' I felt so paranoid!

We had 3 siblings return from 3 years in England the Thursday after Easter. The two oldest are in 6th and 7th grades. Great kids. However, they stopped in Mexico for a break between UK and USA. Last week the 7th graders was deathly ill with flu, (it wasn't till Thursday that I heard about the flu in Mexico.) Still didn't 'click' as I didn't know about their vacation. The mom told me that the doctor said he was sending something to CDC to test for swine flu. :( Nothing we can do, that's how it's going to spread. While I'm against illegal immigration, I do NOT think this illness is the right argument for bashing these folks.

I was thinking about this because my kids attend a program which is populated by public school kids a couple of afternoons a week.

Will you keep the kids home if there is an outbreak in your area or will you wait till the school is closed?

I'll wait until the school is closed. In our case, if it became clear that there were cases in our city, I'm quite certain the district would be closed.

As a teacher, Zoom-boing's guidelines are correct. If a child vomits or has a temperature, they should be 'symptom free' for 24 hours.

I agree. But parents really need to do their job now and NOT send their sick kid to school to infect others so that they can go to work.

but you know how PC is, she can't stand having her kids come into contact with the hoi polloi anyway. They might get cooties.

I agree. But parents really need to do their job now and NOT send their sick kid to school to infect others so that they can go to work.

but you know how PC is, she can't stand having her kids come into contact with the hoi polloi anyway. They might get cooties.

Well, you never know what you might get from "those people."

Why wait until the government tells you what to do? If you are uncomfortable go with your instincts. I stopped trusting the government to make the right call when they didn't close the schools under a threat of a major tropical storm that flooded us so badly that people thought canals were roads.

then why did she enroll them in the first place?

They closed one school and one daycare up here, because of the 3 cases identified so far and their sibblings/children/family members now having some symptons...gonna close the school for a whole week....

so, as much as i would have liked to have thought Maine would be the last one to report cases, I guess I was wrong....

Care

Why wait until the government tells you what to do? If you are uncomfortable go with your instincts. I stopped trusting the government to make the right call when they didn't close the schools under a threat of a major tropical storm that flooded us so badly that people thought canals were roads.

In this instance, I trust the judgement of our local superintendent. If i didn't, I would definitely pull them.

My kids have never stepped into a brick & morter school. They go to a few extracurricular activities where they are in small rooms with other kids. That was my concern.

Jillian, methinks you protest too much. Somewhere deep down inside, maybe you regret not having stayed home with your own child(ren). That's the only reason I see why you keep trying to start a cat fight at every opportunity regarding my decision to homeschool.

If you are happy with your own choices and those made for your child(ren) why try to denigrate the decisions of other families? In fact, you should be thanking me for raising my children to be good, intelligent conservative citizens who may be the next generation of USMB posters.

she didn't.

My kids have never stepped into a brick & morter school. They go to a few extracurricular activities where they are in small rooms with other kids. That was my concern.

Jillian, methinks you protest too much. Somewhere deep down inside, maybe you regret not having stayed home with your own child(ren). That's the only reason I see why you keep trying to start a cat fight at every opportunity regarding my decision to homeschool.

actually, I have a great balance. FWIW, not that it's your business, but I downsized my career to have more time with my son.

As for your decision to homeschool, again, I have no reason to think, based on anything you've written, that you homeschool for any reason but to teach intolerance and extremism. you'll forgive me for thinking that your passing on those types of ideas through brainwashing and indoctrination are unhealthy.

that's not a "cat fight".

and are you sure you're a woman... that's not something one woman generally would say to another...more like something a voyeuristic man might say.

and, since you purportedly live in NYC, where we have some of the best public schools in the country.

If you are happy with your own choices and those made for your child(ren) why try to denigrate the decisions of other families? In fact, you should be thanking me for raising my children to be good, intelligent conservative citizens who may be the next generation of USMB posters.

because your "choice" to indoctrinate your children into the Annie Coultergeist school of ideology and hatred affects the world around them. and at least if they were in public school, they'd see that there are other ways of thinking.

and THAT is exactly why you homeschool.

I must say it is getting hard to tell, now a days with all the half naked women or seductive women as avatars for many of the BOYS on this site, on who is a female or male poster!!!!!!! :eek:

Not that I think that PC is a male....just saying, it is getting confusing for someone like me....hahahahahaha!

she didn't.

actually, I have a great balance. FWIW, not that it's your business, but I downsized my career to have more time with my son.

As for your decision to homeschool, again, I have no reason to think, based on anything you've written, that you homeschool for any reason but to teach intolerance and extremism. you'll forgive me for thinking that your passing on those types of ideas through brainwashing and indoctrination are unhealthy.

and are you sure you're a woman... that's not something one woman generally would say to another...more like something a voyeuristic man might say.

and, since you purportedly live in NYC, where we have some of the best public schools in the country.

because your "choice" to indoctrinate your children into the Annie Coultergeist school of ideology and hatred affects the world around them. and at least if they were in public school, they'd see that there are other ways of thinking.

Wow, I hit that sore spot, again, didn't I?

But I'm proud of you, and Rati and the Rat Pack licking your wounds and trying to start another bout after I ate your lunch the last time!

Remember? I took up the cudgel for a child that was offered up on the alter of your liberal 'instant gratification' views, and after over 300 posts, I was the one still standing? Must have hurt, huh?

she didn't.

Wow, I hit that sore spot, again, didn't I?

But I'm proud of you, and Rati and the Rat Pack licking your wounds and trying to start another bout after I ate your lunch the last time!

Remember? I took up the cudgel for a child that was offered up on the alter of your liberal 'instant gratification' views, and after over 300 posts, I was the one still standing? Must have hurt, huh?

PC! NOW you got even me wondering about whether yur a guy by your last statement!!!!!!!!!!!

only men imho, seem to be concerned with whooping another poster's ass in another bout or thread!!!!!!!!!!!????????????? :(

what's up with that....?

care

Last edited:

Forum List

Back