At what point will you keep your children home from school due to swine flu?

Discussion in 'Health and Lifestyle' started by PoliticalChic, Apr 29, 2009.

1. PoliticalChic

PoliticalChic Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,778
    I was thinking about this because my kids attend a program which is populated by public school kids a couple of afternoons a week.

Will you keep the kids home if there is an outbreak in your area or will you wait till the school is closed?

2. xotoxi

xotoxi Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,492
    We don't have any Mexicans in the schools up here, so my kids are safe.

3. Zoom-boing

Zoom-boing Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,104
    If my kids come home and start telling me a fair amount of kids are sick - especially if they're in school and sick - I'd keep them home. We haven't been sick in our house for several years. Occasional cold but that's about it. I keep my kids home from school if they are running a fever or show obvious signs of being ill. My mom always kept us home when we were sick until we had one full day without a fever. Pretty good rule of thumb.

4. PoliticalChic

PoliticalChic Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,778
    I think that time is getting close for us. We may have to give up some of the kids' extracurricular activities.

Swine flu confirmed in Bronx boy, Brooklyn woman -- Newsday.com

They have closed two Catholic schools in Brooklyn including one that is less than a mile from our home.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    As a teacher, Zoom-boing's guidelines are correct. If a child vomits or has a temperature, they should be 'symptom free' for 24 hours.

Under these conditions I truly wish parents would follow them, but I know they won't. I'm luckier than those that teach younger students, mine are pretty good about covering their mouths and discarding tissues. I talked with them that while hand washing is always a good idea, now it's more important. If they sneeze; go wash hands, etc. They are not running out of the room, I think they know that would cause different problems.

Today we had school mass. My 7th graders 'buddy' with the first graders. As usual I had two hyper 1st graders on either side of myself. Coughing, no covering. Sneezing into hands, wiping on pants. Came time to 'hold hands' during The Lord's Prayer. Sigh, I grabbed their wrists and bit my lip. I patted them on the back instead of hand shakes for 'sign of peace.' I felt so paranoid!

We had 3 siblings return from 3 years in England the Thursday after Easter. The two oldest are in 6th and 7th grades. Great kids. However, they stopped in Mexico for a break between UK and USA. Last week the 7th graders was deathly ill with flu, (it wasn't till Thursday that I heard about the flu in Mexico.) Still didn't 'click' as I didn't know about their vacation. The mom told me that the doctor said he was sending something to CDC to test for swine flu. :( Nothing we can do, that's how it's going to spread. While I'm against illegal immigration, I do NOT think this illness is the right argument for bashing these folks.

6. Angel Heart

Angel Heart Conservative Hippie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +341
    We've (DH and myself) have talked about it but have yet to decide when the time to pull will be.

7. catzmeow

catzmeow BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,974
    I'll wait until the school is closed. In our case, if it became clear that there were cases in our city, I'm quite certain the district would be closed.

8. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,426
    I agree. But parents really need to do their job now and NOT send their sick kid to school to infect others so that they can go to work.

but you know how PC is, she can't stand having her kids come into contact with the hoi polloi anyway. They might get cooties.

9. catzmeow

catzmeow BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,974
    Well, you never know what you might get from "those people."

10. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,738
    Why wait until the government tells you what to do? If you are uncomfortable go with your instincts. I stopped trusting the government to make the right call when they didn't close the schools under a threat of a major tropical storm that flooded us so badly that people thought canals were roads.