At last! Some wisdom

bullwinkle

Gold Member
Mar 4, 2013
on a tricky sensitive issue. As a born Yankee, I compare the Stars & Bars to the Swastika and consider how it must affect those who see it as a symbol of enforced servitude. I also object to it's use on federal property. But respect for the customs of others is also built in to our national psyche, or used to be. And if I respect the dread of those who abhor the symbol, I also have to respect the thoughts of those who have mentally purged the symbolism of that banner into something honorable to them. So I think I understand this judge's tightrope walk over a chasm of intense emotion. Kudos

Judge hits out at Confederate emblem as he dismisses flag lawsuit | Fox News

on a tricky sensitive issue. As a born Yankee, I compare the Stars & Bars to the Swastika and consider how it must affect those who see it as a symbol of enforced servitude. I also object to it's use on federal property. But respect for the customs of others is also built in to our national psyche, or used to be. And if I respect the dread of those who abhor the symbol, I also have to respect the thoughts of those who have mentally purged the symbolism of that banner into something honorable to them. So I think I understand this judge's tightrope walk over a chasm of intense emotion. Kudos

Germany outlawed the Nazis and their symbols. That seems to have produced the opposite effect. They still have Nazis.

People will never learn that all publicity is good. To protest against a thing that enjoys a certain amount of public support generally serves to increase that support.

Easy example: Remember "The Last Temptation of Christ"? Terrorist threats, ranting protestors.

That film (quite good actually) would have disappeared largely unnoticed if not for the attention brought to it by the protestors.

The Last Temptation of Christ (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Germany outlawed the Nazis and their symbols. That seems to have produced the opposite effect. They still have Nazis.

People will never learn that all publicity is good. To protest against a thing that enjoys a certain amount of public support generally serves to increase that support.

Easy example: Remember "The Last Temptation of Christ"? Terrorist threats, ranting protestors.

That film (quite good actually) would have disappeared largely unnoticed if not for the attention brought to it by the protestors.

The Last Temptation of Christ (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
You have presented a good example with that film where protest and its accompanying publicity has made the entity a greater success or even better liked by others. However, that is far from always the case. One example I can think of is when the Dixie Chicks said something anti-American after 9/11. it got a lot of publicity and their concerts suffered greatly from it.

But that is not the main point. You said often times our major protests benefit that which we are protesting in various ways including financially. And I would say so what? If something being done is immoral or harmful to the common good to remain silent is far worse --- at least in the eyes of God. And how God judges us is incalculably more important than how financially successful we may become.

Bullwinkle's point that some groups seeing the American flag makes them bristle --- well, what of it? We are not Naziism. When the French or Koreans see it they could become very emotional and grateful. America, like the Catholic Church, and like human nature, is not perfect. We have great sins and faults, but we also have shown a great deal of altruism, bravery and charity over history to assist our fellow man. We should not have to apologize for raising our flag. But this is a judgment call, as some nations have been quite beligerent and oppressive towards others for many decades or longer. Russia comes to mind.

On to Mississippi. I can forgive many of those white folks in the 1700's and 1800's for their sins, more easily than I can look the other way at those who harbor great racial hate today. I am not talking about slave owners who beat their slaves back then, I am talking about common white folk who lived in those times. They could not see the error in their ways as easily as we can today. So the degree of culpability all depends on many factors.

Forum List

Back