Astronomers discover black hole that should not even exist in our galaxy

MindWars

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2016
WTSP – A newly-discovered black hole is so massive, astronomers say it shouldn’t even exist in our galaxy. CBS News reports Chinese astronomers published their findings this week in the journal Nature. The black hole, named LB-1, is in the Milky Way and is about 70 times the mass of the sun. Scientists previously thought black holes could only be about 20 times the mass of the sun. Using the LAMOST telescope in China, scientists found some stars seemingly orbiting an invisible object. Using other telescopes in Spain and the U.S. led astronomers to one star orbiting the black hole every 79 days.
Astronomers discover black hole that 'should not even exist' in our galaxy

What? You mean the gawd dam science was WRONG AGAIN...... you mean they missed something oh imagine that.

What's even funnier are the danks that rely on their parental gov. to tell them when danger is near lol.

The universe is a strange and hostile place. It is full of things that can kill you, like massive Black Holes. Praise God for our little green planet.

The article is total bunk. What they mean is black holes cannot be created at certain masses. But black holes gain mass after creation by swallowing up other stars and other black holes. We’ve already detected black holes combining so I don’t see why any scientist would say that these black holes “should not exist”. Just more pseudo-science clickbait by main stream media.

The article is total bunk. What they mean is black holes cannot be created at certain masses. But black holes gain mass after creation by swallowing up other stars and other black holes. We’ve already detected black holes combining so I don’t see why any scientist would say that these black holes “should not exist”. Just more pseudo-science clickbait by main stream media.

I wouldn't say the article is bunk. The discovery is real. The problem is that a BH of 70 stellar masses is too big to be caused by a normal, single stellar collapse, so some other, previously unobserved process was at work here. It could be as simple as three or four 15-20 stellar mass BHs somehow meeting and combining, perhaps from members of an old stellar cluster family group.

Forum List

Back