Asteroid fly-by today 4/19/2017

Which proves once again that one can not not escape the climate change denier conspiracy nuts, even on a forum about asteroids....

/---- Here ya go Sparky. Just like I said: Meteor and Asteroid Strikes as Causes of Climate Change. Most meteors and asteroids burn up in the earth's atmosphere incinerating all or most of the incoming material before reaching the Earth's surface. When a very large body collides with the Earth it can cause huge destruction and change global climate.
Meteorite and Asteroid Strikes as Causes of Climate Changes

I suspect that there is a cult somewhere preparing their apple sauce and Valium snacks, who firmly believe that it is not an asteroid, but really a spaceship coming to take them home.

How many Christians going down in an airplane are excited they are about to become gods in paradise for all eternity? If they truly believed that wouldn't they be happy? I'm looking forward to going up north to ride motorcycles this weekend. That doesn't even compare to being a god and living in paradise yet I'm excited. But I've never heard a christian say they're looking forward to paradise. They seem to want to stay here for as long as humanly possible.

I suspect that there is a cult somewhere preparing their apple sauce and Valium snacks, who firmly believe that it is not an asteroid, but really a spaceship coming to take them home.

How many Christians going down in an airplane are excited they are about to become gods in paradise for all eternity? If they truly believed that wouldn't they be happy? I'm looking forward to going up north to ride motorcycles this weekend. That doesn't even compare to being a god and living in paradise yet I'm excited. But I've never heard a christian say they're looking forward to paradise. They seem to want to stay here for as long as humanly possible.

Actually, Seal, be grateful. I have a sister-in-law who has been praying for nuclear war for decades so that she can get to heaven faster. Keeping in mind that there are actually some people in her Christian world who are capable of being elected to office, I am grateful that most of them don't take the faith that seriously.

Which proves once again that one can not not escape the climate change denier conspiracy nuts, even on a forum about asteroids....

/---- Here ya go Sparky. Just like I said: Meteor and Asteroid Strikes as Causes of Climate Change. Most meteors and asteroids burn up in the earth's atmosphere incinerating all or most of the incoming material before reaching the Earth's surface. When a very large body collides with the Earth it can cause huge destruction and change global climate.

I think that I have gotten down to the root of your problem. You seem to have a form of dyslexia. Your post #39 is about blaming climate change [sic] for asteroid strikes, while your post #44 attempts to blame asteroids for climate change. However, given time and motivation, I am sure that you can connect the dots and blame both on Al Gore.

blowing up a big one just means you are gonna be hit by the smaller bits....neither a good scenario
Not true. Little ones hit us all the time. Remember the one that wiped out the dinosaurs? That was a big one.
Except these "little ones" would be up to hundreds of feet across followed by one big one.....just slightly smaller than it used to be.

"The Rock" is about 2000 feet long. Unless we could find a way to drill several hundred feet into it, a nuclear blast on the surface would barely dent it. At best, just launching a nuke at a larger asteroid headed our way would knock off some chunks....all still headed our way. For example, the Trinity blast was a 20 kiloton plutonium nuke was detonated about 100 feet off the ground and left a 5 foot deep, 30 foot wide crater.

The best plan is to reinvigorate our space program, get more telescopes and a colony or two out there then build the capability to launch vehicles toward dangerous asteroids and nudge their courses just enough to miss us forever.

no i dont have one....i wonder if any of the local ones will be open to the public....of course its raining here
Yeah, it seems like EVERY time there's something like a big meteor shower or an eclipse or whatever, it's raining here too.
It's raining here in the Rocky Mountains now.

A big storm blew across from California.

But this little asteroid would not be visible anyway.

A shiny spacecraft this size would be seen as a white dot in the sky moving by.

But a rock like this one is not visible from the Earth.

Actually, Seal, be grateful. I have a sister-in-law who has been praying for nuclear war for decades so that she can get to heaven faster. Keeping in mind that there are actually some people in her Christian world who are capable of being elected to office, I am grateful that most of them don't take the faith that seriously.
There are Christians and Jews pushing for the war with the middle East because it was prophecized. Bush and Lieberman were two of them

blowing up a big one just means you are gonna be hit by the smaller bits....neither a good scenario
Not true. Little ones hit us all the time. Remember the one that wiped out the dinosaurs? That was a big one.
Except these "little ones" would be up to hundreds of feet across followed by one big one.....just slightly smaller than it used to be.

"The Rock" is about 2000 feet long. Unless we could find a way to drill several hundred feet into it, a nuclear blast on the surface would barely dent it. At best, just launching a nuke at a larger asteroid headed our way would knock off some chunks....all still headed our way. For example, the Trinity blast was a 20 kiloton plutonium nuke was detonated about 100 feet off the ground and left a 5 foot deep, 30 foot wide crater.

The best plan is to reinvigorate our space program, get more telescopes and a colony or two out there then build the capability to launch vehicles toward dangerous asteroids and nudge their courses just enough to miss us forever.
I was going to say steer them off course. Nice post.

I want to build a moon size space ship from material we get from Mars or the meteor belt. This ship would have to have several engine rooms and the capability of rebuilding itself for an eternity. Food and water for eternity. It will take 80,000 years to get to the next rest stop

The only thing that anyone on the Earth can do is "brace for impact!"

An impact would be similar to a nuclear blast.
Agreed, except that a 2000 footer like "The Rock" would be "huuuuuuge" and a lot bigger than any nuclear explosions mankind has ever made.

When the volcano Mount Tambora blew up erupted, it threw up enough debris to cause what was called "The year without a summer". Except for those killed by the impact or tsunami, such an impact may cure global warming, eh?

I think that I have gotten down to the root of your problem. You seem to have a form of dyslexia. Your post #39 is about blaming climate change [sic] for asteroid strikes, while your post #44 attempts to blame asteroids for climate change. However, given time and motivation, I am sure that you can connect the dots and blame both on Al Gore.
/--- Here ya go Pumkin: CNN Anchor Asks Bill Nye If Global Warming Had Anything To Do With A Near-Earth Asteroid. “We want to bring in our science guy, Bill Nye, and talk about something else that’s falling from the sky, and that is an asteroid,” said Feyerick. “What’s coming our way? Is this the effect of, perhaps, global warming? Or is this just some meteoric occasion?”

An impact would be similar to a nuclear blast.
Agreed, except that a 2000 footer like "The Rock" would be "huuuuuuge" and a lot bigger than any nuclear explosions mankind has ever made.

When the volcano Mount Tambora blew up erupted, it threw up enough debris to cause what was called "The year without a summer". Except for those killed by the impact or tsunami, such an impact may cure global warming, eh?
Given sufficient time and distance, a small nudge would be all that was needed to change the course enough to miss the Earth.

Forum List

Back