Ask your doctor..."Do you practice defensive Medicine" ?

healthmyths

Platinum Member
Sep 19, 2011
According to this study ...
In December 2009, Jackson Healthcare invited 138,686 physicians to participate in a confidential online survey in an effort to quantify the costs and impact of defensive medicine. Over 3,000 physicians spanning all states and medical specialties completed the survey, a 2.21 percent response rate.
The survey error range is at the 95% confidence level: +/-1.15 percent.
The following definition was cited in the survey:
Defensive medicine is the practice of diagnostic or therapeutic measures conducted primarily not to ensure the health of the patient, but as a safeguard against possible malpractice liability. "
Fear of litigation has been cited as the driving force behind defensive medicine.
Defensive medicine is especially common in the United States of America,
with rates as high as 79% to 93%, particularly in emergency medicine, obstetrics, and other high-risk specialties.
Physicians estimate the cost of defensive medicine to be between 26 and 34 percent of total annual healthcare costs, according to a recent report by Jackson Healthcare.
PHYSICIAN STUDY: QUANTIFYING THE COST OF DEFENSIVE MEDICINE - Jackson Healthcare

So how much do these doctors think "defensive medicine" makes up the total health care costs of $3.5 trillion?
The increase represents a sharp uptick from 2017 spending, which the U.S. Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) now estimates to have been a 4.6 percent climb to nearly $3.5 trillion.
U.S. healthcare spending to climb 5.3 percent in 2018: agency - Reuters

Based on the above figures of 26% of $3.5 trillion or nearly $1 trillion a year in wasted cost due to fear of
lawsuits.
So why didn't Obamacare consider this as a major cost contributor such as they did with tanning salons.
ACA taxes tanning salons 10% because tanning cause cancer.
Where was the same concern towards the legal profession's gross revenue of The legal services industry in the United States generated 256.66 billion U.S. dollars in revenue in 2013.
A 10% tax of $25.6 billion would provide a $5,000/year premium for the 5 million that need and want health insurance.

If my doctor kills me, I may not sue him, but I sure as hell will poltergeist his ass.

politics huh -

mmmmmmmmmmkkkkkkkkkkkkk

Well ACA was politically driven. Obama a lawyer never offered any Tort reform in ACA...BUT did tax tanning salons! How stupid.
Also telling people frequently "We are not a nation that accepts nearly 46 million uninsured men, women and children,"
that was PROVEN by politifact.org as what they said "sloppy" by counting 10 million illegal immigrants.
That and PROOF that 14 million that WERE already eligible for Medicaid but didn't know it was ALSO a gigantic lie regarding "46 million uninsured"!
So yes... totally a political driven effort by Obama for ACA as it wasn't NECESSARY.
Simply allowing states TORT reform would have been far better, i.e. reducing the nearly $900 billion spent in defensive medicine.
But maybe you are a lawyer or have a relative and hence you defend them? For shame!

Forum List

Back