As Asia studies harder, U.S. says "more playtime"

bobbymcgill

Aug 23, 2008
While parents in Asian countries such as China, South Korea and Japan push their children to study more diligently at younger ages, American experts are calling for exactly the opposite: More play time.

So, who is right?

Anyone familiar with life in North East Asia can attest to the obsessive expectations placed on kids from kindergarten right up into high school. Westerners teaching abroad are often surprised at the excess number of families with young children that spend hours in academies after school before they even know how to wipe their own butt.

Not to mention the middle school and high school students walking home in a zombie-like trance at 12 A.M. after late night classes for science and math.

Kathy Hirsh-Pasek, a psychologist at Temple University claims that lack of play in childhood "could be the next global warming." She added: "Play equals learning. For too long we have divorced the two."

Could this explain why in countries --where there was never a marriage of the two-- that such social ills persist? Prime examples are Japan and South Korea, which have over double the suicide rate of that in the United States --with an average of 33 people killing themselves everyday.

And a recent online poll by the Korean newspaper, Dong-A Ilbo and Google Korea found that while South Korea is known for its conglomerates Samsung and LG, the Korean people themselves are mostly known as "hot-tempered."

My take is simple: The problem is in how the brain develops an ability to cope with difficult situations. In countries that emphasize excessive study and, more specifically, rote learning or what is referred to as "teaching to the test," a lack of critical and abstract brain processing skills develop. The end product? People who see life in simple black and white terms.

When conflict arises within, this can quickly lead to a walk on the dark side. In other words --violent reactions against one's self or against others.

Experts agree that the need for critical thinking and abstract reasoning are essential to the healthy development of the mind. "They (children) are inventing abstract thinking, before the world tells them what to think," said Vivian Paley, a former teacher at the University of Chicago Laboratory Schools. "It gets them thinking, 'I am intended to have my own ideas.'"

So what happens when a child is not given the chance to develop these tools? Not much good.

Bobby
Idle Wordship

Experts agree that the need for critical thinking and abstract reasoning are essential to the healthy development of the mind. "They (children) are inventing abstract thinking, before the world tells them what to think," said Vivian Paley, a former teacher at the University of Chicago Laboratory Schools. "It gets them thinking, 'I am intended to have my own ideas.'"

So what happens when a child is not given the chance to develop these tools?

The Bush Administration happens, that's what.

It's all this playtime that got us to No Child Left Behind in the first place, a treasonous act in itself, IMO, indeed leaving an unquestionably significant group in the wake of our potato-chip dust; our best and brightest.

You're comparing the best and brightest of Asia to the entire US educational system.

90% of the Chinese are poor undereducated and without hope.

Much like our underclass, only ten times bigger.

They're not comparing apples to apples. China and Japan are both homogeneous societies. Conformity is placed in high regard. Thinking out of the box is not rewarded. In America, the "different" is respected and valued.

You're comparing the best and brightest of Asia to the entire US educational system.

90% of the Chinese are poor undereducated and without hope.

Much like our underclass, only ten times bigger.

I don't remember making any comparison?..Hm, lemme' go back and check..

...Nope, I don't give a shit. :)

In Korean and Chinese societies, play is considered "wasteful." Children are not encouraged to play, but rather learn.

In my experience, "play" is "learning." Children need a way to cope with life, and play seems to be a way of releasing stress for them.

They're not comparing apples to apples. China and Japan are both homogeneous societies. Conformity is placed in high regard. Thinking out of the box is not rewarded. In America, the "different" is respected and valued.

I never made a comparison but merely lamented the state of our educational system as it relates to the post.

Whatever Asia is doing is no matter to the fact we're in a mess of our own making here, largely borne of the apathetic nature of today's parenting, which began to bleed out into society in Dr. Spock days and is finally 'coming home to roost,' along with everything else.

To be sure, anyway, we shouldn't be worried first how we fare against others, but instead against our own vision of what we'd originally set out to be and to do and that is more to the point.

In Korean and Chinese societies, play is considered "wasteful." Children are not encouraged to play, but rather learn.

In my experience, "play" is "learning." Children need a way to cope with life, and play seems to be a way of releasing stress for them.

...to declare we hadn't been playing enough.

Jesus. You're another bore, too.:eek:

...to declare we hadn't been playing enough.

Jesus. You're another bore, too.:eek:

If you had learned to read more carefully, you would have realized that I wasn't saying we needed to play more. Rather, I was stating the benefits. I'm not here to play the "invective" game. You're the bore for not reading "into" the story. If you didn't want a discussion, why post on a message board with thousands of members?

If you had learned to read more carefully, you would have realized that I wasn't saying we needed to play more. Rather, I was stating the benefits. I'm not here to play the "invective" game. You're the bore for not reading "into" the story. If you didn't want a discussion, why post on a message board with thousands of members?
:eusa_shhh:

American children are raised to be immature spoiled brats.

My wife is from a foreign country where education is valued and kids are raised corectly. At 5 years old the children can basically take care of themselves. And at 10 they are expected to act responisible and behave like mature adults.

American children are raised to be immature spoiled brats.

My wife is from a foreign country where education is valued and kids are raised corectly. At 5 years old the children can basically take care of themselves. And at 10 they are expected to act responisible and behave like mature adults.

I agree with you. The problem are the parents who raise these "spoiled brats" and then run away from them when they can't stand them anymore. I see kids being dropped off at afterschool programs left and right. At least when their in grade school they can be retrained, but once they are adolescents, it's too late.

I agree with you. The problem are the parents who raise these "spoiled brats" and then run away from them when they can't stand them anymore. I see kids being dropped off at afterschool programs left and right. At least when their in grade school they can be retrained, but once they are adolescents, it's too late.
When my wife was completeing her medical degree she did alot of studying at the medical library. When I went there to pick her up. I would see Africans, Asians, Indians, Middle Easterners, and others, studying like crazy from dawn to dusk. They rarely took a break or missed a day of study.

But one thing I didn't see much of was any American students.

Kids in America, if they have a goal in life, it is to be a Rapper or a Sports figure. Other than that, American kids want to play video games and live forever with mom and dad.

When my wife was completeing her medical degree she did alot of studying at the medical library. When I went there to pick her up. I would see Africans, Asians, Indians, Middle Easterners, and others, studying like crazy from dawn to dusk. They rarely took a break or missed a day of study.

Kids in America, if they have a goal in life, it is to be a Rapper or a Sports figure. Other than that, American kids want to play video games and live forever with mom and dad.

Life is too easy for kids these days. They don't have any real responsibilities and they have not developed the ability to think into the future. As immature I was a kid, at least my parents instilled in me the value of education. My mother told me this would be my passport to the American Dream. Education isn't valued here. It's much easier to park your kids in front of the boob tube and buy them Xbox. Parenting takes real effort and most don't want to spend the time to do it right.

A student from Hong Kong lives with me and will graduate from UT in Actuarial Science (or some fancy math word ) . The dude studies 24/7. Never seen anything like it.

My daughter who spent a year in China last year (Inner Mongolia) teaching Chinese Children to Speak English. She wasn't teaching them the language...she was teaching them how to speak American.

She did say, that the kids....just all want to come here and be American.....they go to school all morning, take a break in the afternoon and back to school until 10 pm. There is nothing else for the kids to do. No movie theaters, no malls....So when they do come here it's like a picnic. What to do with all those hours after 3:eek:o pm? Take over the world, of course :)

can you pick out which one is my daughter? lol

julianneinChina.jpg

My daughter who spent a year in China last year (Inner Mongolia) teaching Chinese Children to Speak English. She wasn't teaching them the language...she was teaching them how to speak American.

She did say, that the kids....just all want to come here and be American.....they go to school all morning, take a break in the afternoon and back to school until 10 pm. There is nothing else for the kids to do. No movie theaters, no malls....So when they do come here it's like a picnic. What to do with all those hours after 3:eek:o pm? Take over the world, of course :)

can you pick out which one is my daughter? lol

julianneinChina.jpg

The one in the pink ? :lol:

Oh ya--take over the world indeed. They are DRIVEN to succeed. Of course when you kill about 20 million people in your country, the rest tend to pay attention.

Forum List

Back