As Asia studies harder, U.S. says "more playtime"

It's going off the topic a bit, but Americans live for that immediate gratification. Whether it is candy, sex, or money. We want to get the quick fix. The Asians are patient and they've been taught to appreciate delayed gratification. There's nothing like the payoff when you've worked and labored for hours, days, months, years for that goal.

It's going off the topic a bit, but Americans live for that immediate gratification. Whether it is candy, sex, or money. We want to get the quick fix. The Asians are patient and they've been taught to appreciate delayed gratification. There's nothing like the payoff when you've worked and labored for hours, days, months, years for that goal.

America could probably accomplish the same if we were willing to literally kill off an entire generation and idealogy and brainwash all the youth to the fact that being obedient and productive was the greatest good.

Ever notice the the majority of Doctors have names like Chin, Akber, or Patel ?

My daughter who spent a year in China last year (Inner Mongolia) teaching Chinese Children to Speak English. She wasn't teaching them the language...she was teaching them how to speak American.

She did say, that the kids....just all want to come here and be American.....they go to school all morning, take a break in the afternoon and back to school until 10 pm. There is nothing else for the kids to do. No movie theaters, no malls....So when they do come here it's like a picnic. What to do with all those hours after 3:eek:o pm? Take over the world, of course :)

can you pick out which one is my daughter? lol

julianneinChina.jpg

:lol: I'm going to go out on a limb here and say she's the blond. You see all those "peace" signs? Here's and interesting fact, for them it doesn't mean "peace", it dates back to WWII, and it means "victory".

Gigi did she have to take a course in ESL or TESL in order to teach there?

No, she didn't eve speak a word of Chinese to teach there. (though she speaks a LOT of Chinese now!). And she took Latin in school as her "language" through High School & College (She is now at Columbia getting her masters in psychology).

This was an adventure she got to partake in through her college (Providence). Every year about 10 of them go to China to teach. What you need is guts and a sense of adventure. They don't have much water over there....so washing your clothes means you get out the washboard. Taking a shower means no matter how cold it is outside the shower will be COLD. Squatting when outdoors to go to the bathrom is something she learned she had no choice but to do. You eat Fish, Meat and Rice. Period.

They also paid her 600 Yuan a month so she was pretty wealthy. During the 8 week break from school she visited Cambodia, Vietnam, Hong Kong, Taiwan and a host of other places. She never asked me for a penny. I am very proud of her.

God Bless her....I have still not left the US and I'm 49. If we teach our kids anything at all.....teach them to as much as you can when you are young becaues as soon as you begin family life......it's all about what to do with the two weeks off once a year.

When my wife was completeing her medical degree she did alot of studying at the medical library. When I went there to pick her up. I would see Africans, Asians, Indians, Middle Easterners, and others, studying like crazy from dawn to dusk. They rarely took a break or missed a day of study.

But one thing I didn't see much of was any American students.

Kids in America, if they have a goal in life, it is to be a Rapper or a Sports figure. Other than that, American kids want to play video games and live forever with mom and dad.

How many of the students were American? I don't know where you live, but around here, our colleges activly recruit students from overseas because they make a lot of money on them. They can pay as much as 3 or 4 times what the American students pay. This makes it much more difficult for Americans to get in to our colleges in the first place, with all the foreigners taking their places.

BTW, with computers today, a lot of studying is done at home. My son just started college this year and his books for his first two classes were online. Plus, he has to actively participate in an online message board for his classes and all of his tests and homework so far have been done on the computer.

Almost all of my son's studying is done at home and so far, he's getting straight A's. <here's praying that continues>

No, she didn't eve speak a word of Chinese to teach there. (though she speaks a LOT of Chinese now!). And she took Latin in school as her "language" through High School & College (She is now at Columbia getting her masters in psychology).

This was an adventure she got to partake in through her college (Providence). Every year about 10 of them go to China to teach. What you need is guts and a sense of adventure. They don't have much water over there....so washing your clothes means you get out the washboard. Taking a shower means no matter how cold it is outside the shower will be COLD. Squatting when outdoors to go to the bathrom is something she learned she had no choice but to do. You eat Fish, Meat and Rice. Period.

They also paid her 600 Yuan a month so she was pretty wealthy. During the 8 week break from school she visited Cambodia, Vietnam, Hong Kong, Taiwan and a host of other places. She never asked me for a penny. I am very proud of her.

God Bless her....I have still not left the US and I'm 49. If we teach our kids anything at all.....teach them to as much as you can when you are young becaues as soon as you begin family life......it's all about what to do with the two weeks off once a year.

Something to think about, we work harder, longer hours with less vacation time than any other industrialized nation.

They may not get as much playtime as kids, but they get a lot more playtime as adults.

Speaking of playtime...anyone notice that new Monopoly game that's electronic? Where you get these cards and you don't even have to do the math? I think that's shameful. In schools they let our kids use calculators and now even our games don't make them do the math, no wonder we are doing so poorly when put up against children educated in other countries.

I think playtime is important, but I do think there is a way to channel it to be fun while learning.

I am planning to take a course here locally to get certified in TESL (Teaching English Second Language). It's a one month course or 12 saturdays.

If you have this Certification, you can get a teaching job any where in the world.

As for me, I don't plan on going to another country to teach. I just want to help out the people at the Mosque I attend who need to improve their English skills.

Speaking of playtime...anyone notice that new Monopoly game that's electronic? Where you get these cards and you don't even have to do the math? I think that's shameful.
Just saw that the other day. All I could do was shake my head in sorrow.

My kids grew up on Monopoly as a family activity. Even though they are grown up and out of the house. They still play it when they get together for the Holidays.

American children are raised to be immature spoiled brats.

My wife is from a foreign country where education is valued and kids are raised corectly. At 5 years old the children can basically take care of themselves. And at 10 they are expected to act responisible and behave like mature adults.

Surely you are not speaking of Asia.

I am planning to take a course here locally to get certified in TESL (Teaching English Second Language). It's a one month course or 12 saturdays.

If you have this Certification, you can get a teaching job any where in the world.

As for me, I don't plan on going to another country to teach. I just want to help out the people at the Mosque I attend who need to improve their English skills.

FYI, Sunniman,

My website offers some illustrated books translated into Farsi and Persian and Bali Indonesian that your students might find useful while they're studying English.

Google up "childrens books online" and look for the site that calls itself the "Rosetta Project".

There's a whole selection of illustrated books translated into 33 different languages, some of them into the major languages spoken in the Islamic world.

The books in Farsi range from pre-reader though about Junior high level, so they might be a useful educational resource for your work.

Who knows? You might even learn some Farsi or Persian, eh?

Forum List

Back