As a kid..where was your fav hidey hole?

Gracie

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2013
Lost
For me..either a tree or a tunnel made by animals through brush taller than I was.

Where did you like to sneak off to that nobody knew about but was like your own private "fort"?

There were these big trees out front, not that tall but wide, and you could push your way through the leaves and hide inside. My sister and I and a friend used to play a game we called 'Wise Old Owl' using those trees. We'd pretend to be environmentalists saving the planet aka Captain Planet.

Those were the good ole days...

Same place it is now - inside the mind. Great place for privacy, but now, as then, it's always more fun to invite friends and family in to 'hide' together, have a few laughs, and not take things so seriously.

book_worm.png

I spent a lot of time in my room reading books. For most of my childhood, I had my own little bedroom with a single bed, pale yellow wall paper with small white flowers, a big white snowball tree outside my window, and a family that pretty much left me to my own devices. I used to love lying in bed at night listening to the Pacific NW rain. :)

Daffodils

I wandered lonely as a cloud
That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host, of golden daffodils;
Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.

Continuous as the stars that shine
And twinkle on the milky way,
They stretched in never-ending line
Along the margin of a bay:
Ten thousand saw I at a glance,
Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.

The waves beside them danced; but they
Out-did the sparkling waves in glee:
A poet could not but be gay,
In such a jocund company:
I gazed--and gazed--but little thought
What wealth the show to me had brought:

For oft, when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude;
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the daffodils.

William Wordsworth

Last edited:
There were a lot of glacial erratic boulders behind my mother's house. Several of them made a sort of cave that the entrance was almost impossible to see.

I pilfered an old lawn lounger, some blankets and a lantern to furnish it. i spent hours there reading or listening to my old pocket radio. I spent many nights out there as well. I told my mother i was staying at a friend's house and would camp out in my cave.

There were a lot of glacial erratic boulders behind my mother's house. Several of them made a sort of cave that the entrance was almost impossible to see.

I pilfered an old lawn lounger, some blankets and a lantern to furnish it. i spent hours there reading or listening to my old pocket radio. I spent many nights out there as well. I told my mother i was staying at a friend's house and would camp out in my cave.

When I hit about 13, my refuge was an island on the Delaware called Getter's Island. I was usually alone.

Like you I in your cave, I spent whole days and nights camping out on that island.

By the time I was about 16 I'd developed enough skill and learned enough about the flora a fauna life there that I could practically have lived off the land and river.

I was a strange kid, admittedly.

A place called the Devil's Punch Bowl in Surrey, England. It's a large wooded area that loads of local kids would play and camp-out in. Sometimes it got so busy that we'd arrange attempted raids on each other's camps. Great fun. And we were always finding bits of old German aircraft in there, too.

While growing up I lived for several years in an apartment .... so I didn't have many fun places to hide... it was under the bed...or under the dining table... places like that, boring I know...:dunno:

You know those little culverts under driveways ? those were the first until I got to big for them. I have always felt comfortable in tight dark places. Later, when I worked in the marine industry this helped out as I had to crawl into tight places to do my work. I also like very high places.

Yuck! Those culverts are dangerous...and they harbor all sorts of weird bugs.

We were taught very young to avoid culverts because of the risk of flooding/flash flooding/cave ins.

Forum List

Back