CDZ As a Christian, what kind of nonsocial policies should I support?

Discussion in 'Clean Debate Zone' started by CelloX, Jun 10, 2016.

1. CelloX

CelloX Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I feel comfortable with the social policies I support (pro life and anti government marriage control. I support this because it allows us to not even need to debate about the whole gay marriage issue), but what do you think Christians should support in other areas of government policies?

Please note that this is meant for people who are very familiar with Christianity/the bible. Supporting your policies with bible verses would be appreciated.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. BULLDOG

BULLDOG Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +35,004
    Support for poor and sick. Tons of verses,but these are my favorite
    Matthew 25:35-40 James 2:14-17 1 John 3:17 Galatians 6:2

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. 320 Years of History

320 Years of History Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,553
    ...Any of them that in their words and spirit conform to the Golden Rule.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Picaro

Picaro Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,696
    I'm an agnostic, so your definition of 'familiarity' may not include us, but I would say the list of verses known as the 'Sermon on the Mount' , or the 'Beatitudes' by some sects, are obviously the critical ones to ponder for most believers, as it was his only major public speech meant for a large audience of 'regular folks'. Most of the rest of the New Testament was aimed at teachers and more educated Apostles and followers really.

As I'm not a 'literalist' re Biblical premises, we would probably have a lot of disagreements on what those verses actually meant in context and intent, though, so I won't parse them and derail your thread.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
  5. BULLDOG

BULLDOG Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +35,004

Sadly, the politically motivated people who claim Christianity as an excuse for their selfish, hateful behavior tend to ignore the parts of the Bible that teach what I believe is the most important part of the entire book.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Picaro

Picaro Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,696
    I agree. For the 'record' I an admirer of Christianity and the radical social paradigm it generated where it was allowed to prosper, and have no animosity toward Christians, in case you think all agnostics are Dawkins cultists. I despise those dishonest sociopaths myself.

7. BULLDOG

BULLDOG Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +35,004

I never had any doubt of the veracity of main stream Christianity and upon retirement I had time to study to be able to answer some of the hard questions non believers had. The more I studied, the more I realized that the bible doesn't say lots of the things that many claim it says. I don't know what is driving the Christian Right, but I now know it is not the teachings of Jesus.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. JoeMoma

JoeMoma Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,003
    Do you consider welfare and entitlements to fall under social or no social policies?

9. Fishlore

Fishlore Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +451
    Deciding what government policies to support by "proof text" (Bible quotes) strikes me as simplistic and likely to produce some bad decisions. The Bible is not some kind of Magic Eight Ball that can be flipped open to answer life's questions. If that is what you want, try Tarot cards.

Christian churches and thinkers work to produce social teaching. These ideas start with Scripture and may include traditions and other supplementary sources and, indeed, can come up with praise or condemnation of specific legislation, but the specifics of how a Christian can be a good citizen depend on a number of factors and the Bible was not written as a political platform. I would suggest prayer and study. Fellowship under a wise pastor helps a lot too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Dragonlady

Dragonlady Designing Woman

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,547
    The whole concept of marriage is to enable the state to control it. So that when marriages take place and family units are formed, tax deductions can be taken. And when marriages fall apart, the distribution of assets, the care and custody of children, is decided, as are matters of support and maintenance.

You cannot separate marriage and the government. Marriage is NOT a religious concept, it's a secular concept based on the joining of two people in the wedding ceremony, and it involves certain legal requirements of both parties getting married.

• Agree Agree x 1