Artful Homemade Quilts Have A Way

Here's some new stuff found online and made by some great quilters! I always liked rainbows on account of the biblical story of Noah. At the end of his flood there was a rainbow in the sky, and God told him when he sees a rainbow, it's his promise that he will never flood the entire earth again. The only white on this quilt seems to be the batting or white binding edge, but oh, well, I love it and have not seen another one that looks like this one:

1691804547714.jpeg

Even more easy-to-do quilts for my charity work project... when I'm feeling better, that is.

1691805741207.jpeg
1691805809366.jpeg
1691805863199.jpeg

1691805994398.jpeg
1691806132726.jpeg
1691806270916.jpeg
1691806056179.jpeg

1691806529499.jpeg
1691806555678.jpeg
1691806693488.jpeg
1691806748567.jpeg
1691806952970.jpeg

Just trying to find some different quilts to inspire making charity quilts for babies whose mothers visit our local womens' center for new mothers. I hope I can make one half as pretty as some of these are. I just wanted to see what quilters are doing this year, and they're not like quilts of yesteryear. They're charmers, too!

Attachments

• 1691806242139.jpeg
    1691806242139.jpeg
    15.1 KB · Views: 8
So cool...

I am having a hard time figuring out how to do the rocking horse quilting stitch. I am hand quilting, but I've never had anyone show me how to do that particular stitch, and when I read it, it doesn't make any sense. I've watched youtube on it, and I still can't figure it out. So I just dive down and up and don't do multiple stitches on my needle cuz I don't get it.

It irritates the heck out of me.
Hope wherever you are, AllieBaba that all is well with you. I just ran across your post that talked about the rocking horse quilting stitch. That's the only time I've seen it, so I looked it up all these years later, today. Remembering you with love and admiration as always,
beautress (formerly freedombecki)

Here's the definition of the rocking horse quilting stitch, and it does not look like a "rocking horse." :redface:

Rocking Quilting Stitches​

To create the rocking stitch, you will be using a thick needle. Put one hand under the bottom layer of the fabric to hold it in place as the needle pierces each layer starting from the top.​
When you get the needle to the bottom layer, then bring the needle up to the upper layer using a rocking motion. After ‘rocking’ four or five times through the layers, pull the thread taut.​
This stitching method will involve lots of movement of the needle. Generally, it is used together with the straight stitch and running stitch.​

Found this cute bird quilt by Elizabeth Studios

1693803616834.png

I was thinking it would be nice to make a baby quilt with baby birds on it...
I may have my own bird design in my Aesthetics of ABC Animals Book that
I wrote when I was running my quilt store in Wyoming from 1987-2009. It's still
there and run by a beloved quilter and dear friend. I wrote 3 books, and it was nice
because they were applique teaching works--and written because I couldn't find
what I wanted to do anywhere, so I did 3 theme quilts just because nobody who quilted
was doing theme quilts when I loved them. One was for babies and young children with
42 designs of ABC Animals. Then I wrote two associated books on Children of the World
and another with more different countries represented. I also wrote a how-to and tips on
free motion machine embroidery in which you can use your sewing machine as a paintbrush.
Oh, what fun it was. The other one was called Aesthetics of Victorian quilts with enough patterns to do
a King or Queen sized applique quilr with nostalgic Victorian style things on it. Oh, yes, and
I also wrote a book, "Aesthetics of Southwestern Quilting, with yep, southwestern scenes and things.
We'll see how things go this week. I'm hot on the finishing trail of a green and light multicolor cottons
in my favorite piecing type of log cabin quilts. It will go to the charity bees when I sew the two outer
borders on. One has musical notes in multicolors, the other is a plain green that picks up on one
of the colors in the music-notes-and-Great Staff and Bass Clef symbols. I bought small
pieces of lights to prevent dying of boredom with my older fabrics. lol I have a houseful of fabric.
But so far this last two months, I produced 5 + 3 + 4 and when this week is over, there may be 2 or 3 more.
Yea! Charity Bees! I love those gals. They make quilts for daddyless kids. Okay, Single Mom Quilts.​

That's a fascinating repair, Ringo. Thanks! My favorite doggie was born her on Oct. 17, 2022, and he squeaked like a bell, so I called him Ring-ring. But he was a smart dog and organized the other puppies to stay warm one cool day, so I thought "Ring-ring" is below his mature dignity for such a small puppy. So then and there, I decided we'd call him Ringo from then on. Cool name and far more dignified, too. I never saw such a thoughtful puppy in my whole life. Organizing 9 puppies is a chore, but he made it look like child's play! I love that little fella. He is a beautiful animal.

This post is worthless without photo. :bye1::link:
You didn't know? Cameras melt in my warm, loving and somewhat sardonic hands. The last time I tried to use a camera was back in 1980, when my late husband and I were driving the children from our home in Albany, Oregon to Disneyland and had just crossed the Golden Gate Bridge, and stopped on the other side so I could use my camera for the first time. It was a low-cloud day, and the mist had just pawed its way through the effervescent clouds on little cat's paws, one step at a time. After I caught my breath, I grabbed that little device and started clicking away, wondering if someone who saw my pics would have the same breath-taking awe when they saw what we saw! I was gonna be famous!!!!! Well, it fell a little short of that. When we got home, a week or two later, a small package arrived from the photography company with my vacation pictures in it. There was Main Street America pictures from Disneyland of three beautiful kids fussing and fighting over a balloon with fudgsicle smudges on their faces, and this strange picture of whitish stuff minus the little cats' paws. What a waste of film. After that, I turned over my @#%$**^!# small camera to my husband and never wanted to see a camera again, so he became the family photographer. Now, forty-something years later, my husband passed away, and my camera sits somewhere in the bottom drawer of a used-furniture lowboy I had painted aqua blue, same as my man's beautiful blue eyes, which now dwells in the land of someplace else, most likely my quilt tin-roof outdoor tin-walled quilt fabric-storage house out back, across the driveway and nestled a few feet away from the fence this side of the ravine that separates my chicken house and storage faculties from the neighbors half-mile long farmhouse driveway on the other side of the mud-ravaged ravine that is invisible from my kitchen window. Oh, it probably is more like an uneven slab down the ravine since we have had 100-degree nights in the three month East-Texas summer drought we had this year of our Lord, 2023. IOW, my famous photography days ended long ago.

Since I won a best of show with my Southwestern Quilt at the Wyoming State Fair in or around 1993, I've stuck with my quilt artist's calling in my senior sentence in front of a sewing machine that should have been taken to the Bernina shop years ago for a good oiling, but I'm engrossed in my simple charity quilt top career. Photography and me? Nevermore! :auiqs.jpg:

Now, I just spend my evening vespers praying for peace between the lengthy dichotomy of leftists and rightists getting along as we toss mudpies back and forth over a bifurcated attitude of who should be doing what to save our nation, and my retirement days are spent gaping at a white screen with little black letters on it and other people's pictures of their fabulous quilts. So for our Charity Bees quiltmaking day, I currently have two small tops made for disadvantaged babies of single moms who have 3 part-time jobs to keep them in hard-to-get infant formula for their fatherless children with great compassion for what they are going through as single parents whose university man skipped when she got pregnant after fighting off the guy she adored without success her last month of school, and she was disowned by her parents when they found out, so now instead of going to classes, she works at three off-campus jobs to support herself and her child with not much help from anyone else. My little band of sisters make quilts for such babies, and we try to make them as pretty as we'd do for our own children who are grown up and seldom communicate with their widowed old mom.

beautress' Best of Show, 1993, WY State Fair at Douglas, Wyoming; SW Quilt:

1694430751768.png

Classroom how-to self-published book written, copyrighted, appliqued, and designed by me using. my real name, of course. :)
Pardon my typos above. I have an eye infection and a little cloudy nearsightedness this morning.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back