Artful Homemade Quilts Have A Way

I got a new sewing machine, better for quilting...I'm still slaving away at the niece's quilt. I toyed with calling it "Springtime for Hitler" a play on the song from the spoof musical "The Producers" (Mel Brooks)....because the simple pinwheels look like swastikas...but I think I'm going to call it "The Scribble Quilt" which is a little better. Option three was "The Quilt that Wouldn't Die" or "Hell Quilt" but I'll just stick with scribble quilt because of my abysmal quilting. I have violated all the quilting rules on this puppy...I didn't make the backing and batting wider than the top, I did a terrible job of piecing the border, I think I actually left off a row of the top lol...I miscalculated and ran out of material or something, it's a weird shape...then the border omg...it's not squared up very nicely hence the intense quilting. The quilting should have been done in a light green, the same color as the back, so #1, you don't see all the hideous gobs and tangles on the back, and #2, so I could see what I was doing on the dark pinwheels, and #3 so my jerks and skips and cross overs (you're not supposed to cross lines when you quilt. Makes it look scribbly...).....but I'm making progress. When it's done, I'm scalloping the edges, that should be interesting, and putting a dark green binding on it and I am going to go on vacation when that day finally comes.

DSCN46311_zpstzxl973u.jpg

My new machine makes for MUCH nicer quilting lines...but wow it's hard on my old eyes, especially the eyebola eye that sent me to the hospital last week or so. I can't do a lot at one sitting. But I'm getting there.

DSCN46302_zpsds1oijfs.jpg

I have to share..I want to start sewing underwear (of all things lol). But gads it pisses me off that they're so expensive. The kids are not thrilled and probably will never get on board with this so it will probably go nowhere...but I made a bra!

Or rather, a bralette...

I did it with my old machine, and the stitches snarled up terribly on the elastic, nobody's ever going to wear this puppy, it's sort of a prototype...but check it out!

DSCN46261_zpsky8folll.jpg

Haha! Fully lined, made of an old tee shirt and some elastic. Based on a Vera Wang pattern, no less, but that still didn't impress the girl. If I were to make it out of satin maybe and put a waist band around the bottom..well then it would be a halter top...But anyway. I did it. Next...UNDERPANTS. yes!

It's wonderful to hear from you...you have been missed. I haven't heard from becki in a really long time, it breaks my heart. I hope all is well...with you and her.

It's wonderful to hear from you...you have been missed. I haven't heard from becki in a really long time, it breaks my heart. I hope all is well...with you and her.

Thanks, KG. Doing OK. Still hanging in there. I've gotten so busy since I retired, I think I worked less when I was employed. LOL. Never expected to be this busy.

I have Becki's email, I'll send her one and see if I get a response. I searched obituaries and didn't find anything. I forgot where she lives. Texas? Wyoming?

Called the store and they told me where she lives. I have found her phone number. I'll give the email a bit and then I will call .

Thanks FF. I'm not really back per se. I was just working on my latest quilt and decided I would drop in and see what y'all are making these days. I've gotten so busy. Not really sure how that happened. I have a kitchen makeover coming up in September and a trip to San Francisco in October. I still volunteer at the performing arts center, do my own house and yard work. I've done a little canning this summer just because... Have a condo booked again for Gulf Shores coming up in Feb and March. The grandbaby loves to meet at the beach.

I will try the phone number in a day or two. Based on some PMs from a while back, I have a feeling something has happened. That's all I can really say. I have looked for obituaries and that has drawn a blank, but that is encouraging. I did find out where she lives, so I could be very specific on the searches.

Thanks FF. I'm not really back per se. I was just working on my latest quilt and decided I would drop in and see what y'all are making these days. I've gotten so busy. Not really sure how that happened. I have a kitchen makeover coming up in September and a trip to San Francisco in October. I still volunteer at the performing arts center, do my own house and yard work. I've done a little canning this summer just because... Have a condo booked again for Gulf Shores coming up in Feb and March. The grandbaby loves to meet at the beach.

I will try the phone number in a day or two. Based on some PMs from a while back, I have a feeling something has happened. That's all I can really say. I have looked for obituaries and that has drawn a blank, but that is encouraging. I did find out where she lives, so I could be very specific on the searches.

I understand how real life can intervene in things. But just know you were missed, I kept you on the vigil list in the Coffee Shop as a missing person for many months until somebody--I can't remember who--said you were well but just not participating here. And that was cool.

But I agree, it was not at all like Becki to just abruptly drop off the face of the Earth without a word to anybody. And I have been very concerned. Will appreciate you letting us know if you do find out anything.

I understand how real life can intervene in things. But just know you were missed, I kept you on the vigil list in the Coffee Shop as a missing person for many months until somebody--I can't remember who--said you were well but just not participating here. And that was cool.

But I agree, it was not at all like Becki to just abruptly drop off the face of the Earth without a word to anybody. And I have been very concerned. Will appreciate you letting us know if you do find out anything.

Thanks, FF. I do appreciate that. I went to Hawaii last October, but prior to that my doctor said he thought I was being optimistic to believe I could. But I did. AFTER he put me on a new medicine, and I believe that is what gave me the last year. THIS October I have another trip planned. Life is strange. When I went to Hawaii, I told my kids, if I get somewhere and kick the bucket to just have me cremated where I drop. It costs money to bring a body home from a long distance away, and I worked hard to have something to leave them. I don't want it used in that manner.

I thought I would wait until after the weekend and try the number I found for Becki. I have a strong gut feeling that a problem she and I had discussed in PMs came to fruition. If that is the case, she will be gone a while maybe a long while, but likely not forever. I hope folks keep her thread going. I look in on it occasionally just to see what people are creating.

crocheted%20wrist%20warmers_zpsjekjrx2p.jpg

I made wrist warmers for a friend of mine who has moved to Eugina (Eugene) and is a Ducks fan. He attends home games when he can. I made him a hat last year but didn't get these finished in time for Christmas. Finally finished them, lol..but in time for this season! His hands are a lot bigger than mine, incidentally. And it was super hard to get a shot of those things with me in them. My forearm is not really the size of a normal person's thigh. It's all about perspective and funky phone cameras.

I'm working on two quilts now. I'm still quilting my niece's quilt...and I'm working on a disappearing hourglass quilt for my son.
WP_20151110_001.jpg

We moved into a different house at the beginning of the month...a tiny house owned by my cousin. It has a large backyard and we are enjoying it. It's a three bedroom but its just my daughter and me...so I have a sewing room!!! I am able to leave all three sewing machines and the quilts on the table, it makes it so easy to work.

You can see the little stack of sewn squares to the right, it's slowly growing, managed to get 4 done at lunch, did a few yesterday. I think there are 42 in all.

Last edited:

Thanks, FF. I do appreciate that. I went to Hawaii last October, but prior to that my doctor said he thought I was being optimistic to believe I could. But I did. AFTER he put me on a new medicine, and I believe that is what gave me the last year. THIS October I have another trip planned. Life is strange. When I went to Hawaii, I told my kids, if I get somewhere and kick the bucket to just have me cremated where I drop. It costs money to bring a body home from a long distance away, and I worked hard to have something to leave them. I don't want it used in that manner.

I thought I would wait until after the weekend and try the number I found for Becki. I have a strong gut feeling that a problem she and I had discussed in PMs came to fruition. If that is the case, she will be gone a while maybe a long while, but likely not forever. I hope folks keep her thread going. I look in on it occasionally just to see what people are creating.

I miss Sunshine. Becki too.

Forum List

Back