Artful Homemade Quilts Have A Way

Turtles:

341512082_tp.jpg

8232075192_94354daf65_z.jpg

Really pretty sea floor quilt found online:

Dana%27s+baby+qult.JPG

Lovely pattern shown at new-threadsdotcom for those who love foundation work:

beside-the-sea-a-foundation-pieced-quilt-pattern-book-718-p.jpg

Found this one looking for pieced seaweeds like one I saw about a month ago or so:

3b9344b0ffed8621966b8e82203950ed.jpg

Aw, some more turtles :D

Turtles in churning waters, no less.

225348d1310428800-attachment-225342.jpe
Nothing but--more seaweeds in thread on a crazy block:​
aTLLseaweed7.jpg
A little light on the subject of sea:​
sailing-round-the-lighthouse.jpg
under+watercolor+quilts+pattern.jpg
sandhillcranes+by+Louisa+L.+Smith+at+Quilt+Escapes.jpg

Found some more! :)

theo_quilt_full.jpg

This one is not quite a postage stamp work, but looks similar to what's been going down on my graph paper lately, except for the fabrics, oh, aren't they nice:​
OceanFishes.jpg
This lady took art history and may have a fascination for Hans Holbein's structural content, imho:​
fantasy%20fish%20med.jpg
And I love it. :)
...only guessing...​
Nice-o-lini:​
3425870342_4d76ee6500.jpg
This is one from above, and now, I get it about her choices in placement, what an incredible floor to do a tribute to the ocean on:​
Ocean+Life+Quilt+(32).JPG
There's an amazing seaside museum at Corpus Christi, and this quilt reminds me of it for some strange reason, though there is likely no connection other than I love both their museum and this quilt:​
e55cf002b8c22d009bf232a989051480.jpg

This is an ages-old fish block done in thirties reproduction quilt fabrics:

352515d1343691958-fish-block.jpg

This is really pretty at ebay when you look up "fish quilts" in their search engine:

mzV6cmKT2OnqBEvJQHSmhYg.jpg

Just like this one, you could resize and do in a day for a charity quilt:

DSCN2987.JPG

Would this make a cute kid quilt or what:

fishstix-full%20copy.jpg

A little harder but fun for a child, anyway:
:)

img+153+%5BDesktop+Resolution%5D.jpg

Optical art has been adapted to this School of fish--if this isn't like Escher's masterful Tesselation work, I don't know what is:

School_of_Fish-700x700.jpg

And a fish of another angle:
fbdd5914c564823ede685a08f22f56af.jpg
Escher would be pleased to see this quilt executed so well in his style:​
5218c0e810fe0140710f51d20fe618c1.jpg
There's a fish in here somewhere:​
Tesselationsuzieblog.jpg
And he's laughing! They're all laughing!​
.​
mmm, like this one:​
escherfish345x345.JPG
Not exactly a work of tessellation, but a great idea for someone who has a stash of fish fabrics and doesn't want to get too serious about her work: (right up my ally :D )​
il_570xN.81245801.jpg

Angels live in the sea, too:

0fe8b41a6617c2a9d3a8c5686e0643ed.jpg

Wow, this is glass, but it would be fun to do the tessellation fish in cotton quilter's fabric:

3fb15dcc8890fc30b655f874c4db1e9c.jpg

Tessellated Fish border, perhaps?

fish-tessellation-templates-i18.JPG

More angels?

QNMP_081000_TWO_02.jpg

OH, my the work, but wouldn't it be a fascinating quilt:

th

An Oberlin College using mathematics optimization techniques created this portrait using Escher-like fish Closeups and credits here: Bridges 2008 Exhibit - Robert Bosch, Robert Fathauer and Andrew Pike:

BoschFathauerPike4.jpg

Oh, my goodness. I wondered whether crochet or knit artists were getting in on the Escher fun. Of course, they are:

Escher01.jpg

fish using hexagons for a tessellated work:

th

And yes, someone has done a crocheted afghan in Escher style:

f77aaa065094dbecf6b8f9dbe4afe9be.jpg

My daughter loves Escher and has his prints all through her contemporary house. :)

I found a similar quilt to the one I am working on--a spiral squares baby quilt that I am making in the pastels that thirties fabrics are from a distance. This one is similar in showing the white going around, but is more square than the rectangular one I created by using a strip of 4 pastels on the first and center row, so that the quilt will be exactly 8 inches taller than it is wide for a Hugs baby. :)

f2de7fc23bd123bb75fc7b217568e62b.jpg
My squares may be smaller (2" finished) than this one, because it is only 26 inches wide and is 3 squares wider so far, plus it will have at least one border of all white material. My white fabric has baby blue, pink, red, yellow, green, and blue primary dots on it. I also arranged scraps in rainbow order as I have since I read of Ezekiel's dream in the Bible, in which he described "the dazzling colors of the bow in the sky" to be like the dazzling presence of the Lord. I'm reluctant to use any border, because I'm just fond of the little quilt as it is. I am hoping it will approximate 36 inches in width and 45 inches in length, more or less. I still have a couple of rounds to go and more fabric than needed to finish two more. Always too much fabric and not enough time.​
The hour grows late, and it's time for sleeping.​
May God wrap all who come here in his presence and love. :eusa_angel:
Best regards,​
becki​

mmmmmmmmmmmmm
mmmmmmmmmmmmm
mmmmmmmmmmmmm
mmmmmmmmmmmmm
mmmmmmmmmmmmm
mmmmmmmmmmmmm
mmmmmmmmmmmmm
mmmmmmmmmmmmm
mmmmmmmmmmmmm
mmmmmmmmmmmmm
mmmmmmmmmmmmm
mmmmmmmmmmmmm
mmmmmmmmmmmmm

I used a capital "M" to make the angelfish to look right, but the forum nanny took it out. It's not a pefect square, but it's the best I could do. The above design is close to my model square finished yesterday. I just wanted to share a slight visual since my copier still doesn't work. I can't find anything like what I'm doing online.

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend. :)

Last edited:
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Just thinking on a plane about an appropriate first border that will add 2.5" to the overall size of this little quilt (which actually is a couple of postage stamps wider and taller than this one)
Also, this first one is miniature by comparison to the size it needs to be for a toddler. Another option is to make simple sea shapes from blocks that are also 1.25" squares to enlarge it. I was thinking about seaweeds and sand at the bottom of the blue depths.
The other option is to complete this one as a model, and make the squares perhaps 2" or 2.5" fnished rather than the 1.25" finished postage stamps.
I need to go back to the drawing board, which is not hard on account of the way I explore a media. Trust me, there is little out there except one book that dwells on the designs of a 19th century embroiderer in making postage stamp quilts. It's a really good book, and I may have 2 copies.
$_57.JPG
$_57.JPG
$_57.JPG
$_57.JPG
More pictures are here: Ebay, search for Book: Postage Stamp quilts

Last edited:
While looking at some truly good Watercolor Postage Stamp Quilt technique stuff at a website called "Wayne's Quilts," I found the perfect fish quilt when I went looking for older posts:
P1020352.JPG
His technique primer for advanced postage stamp quilt enthusiasts is here in which Wayne takes off on a Picasso painting: Wayne's Quilts

His fish and many other delightful quilts are here (not to mention all the goodies he has on the page above): Wayne's Quilts

It's a gallery of fun, and I recommend a visit to the referenced pages. :)

Last edited:
Wow, I was following the quilt below when ~ I found a sunflowers postage stamp block she made for an anniversary quilt for relatives!

First, the quilt that caught my eye is a Row by Row quilt, and I liked her approach to filling in blank spaces around Rows that weren't the same size as the others, when heh! I realized it was the background, not part of the quilt. :lol:

her sunflower tribute.

.​
.​
Another on my "sometime soon" list is a rwb Bear's Paw quilt, but her block is so fascinating, I just had to post it also with a big thanks to Gayle at her Garden of Daisies blog.
And a chicken as a log cabin block:​
Be sure to visit her blog if you want to see all things bright and beautiful! :)

Beautiful as always Becki.

I think this site is finally dying. It was a good run, but looks like it's over.

We're going to start moving into our new house sometime this next week. Much smaller, so my work is cut out for me...I'm going to be pretty ruthless about throwing stuff away.

Not carpeted, which will be nice!

Here was my first start on a rug..I yanked it out and started over because it wasn't even on the edges, so it looks much neater now:

rug3_zps9eb79646.jpg

rug4_zps19bb2460.jpg

rug1_zps95dc656c.jpg

Beautiful as always Becki.

I think this site is finally dying. It was a good run, but looks like it's over.

We're going to start moving into our new house sometime this next week. Much smaller, so my work is cut out for me...I'm going to be pretty ruthless about throwing stuff away.

Not carpeted, which will be nice!

Here was my first start on a rug..I yanked it out and started over because it wasn't even on the edges, so it looks much neater now:

rug3_zps9eb79646.jpg

rug4_zps19bb2460.jpg

rug1_zps95dc656c.jpg

Oh, my goodness, Koshergrl! What a beautiful rug. I just got a pattern on making things from fabric scraps the other day. What kind of fabric are you using?

Please post progress as you can. Moving is a hard task. I wish you all the best in getting situated. It's so good to have you back on the quilter thread. You've been sorely missed by me.

I am using queen sized sheets, 100 percent cotton (good sheets, too). They ripped so I threw them in the dye with my tablecloth when I dyed that. Teal rit.

I tear them into approx 2" strips, I eyeball it and use scissors to nick...then I just rip them all the way. I pull off the strings and seams if necessary. And then I crochet single cr with a size N hook.

I'm just doing a rectangle, so I started with about a 2" chain, then it's just back and forth.

I had to pull it out because the first three rows or so I was inadvertently increasing, and the result was an uneven edge. So I did go ahead and pull it out and then re-crocheted it correctly and I'm already further than what I have shown here. It goes really fast, but it takes some strength of the hands and shoulders.

My hands and shoulders ached for a while, but they don't anymore. Though I've taken a little break, I might feel it the first day I start back up again, which will probably be today. I need to tear more sheeting.

So when I run out of this color, I'm going to make a border using a different color. I am not sure what color yet..either another green or perhaps red, if I can find red dye. The sheets I will use for that step are also 100 percent cotton, but they are striped white and tan (now). These sheets were an Indian patchwork print, with reds and browns and even yellow, I think.

This is for my daughter's room.

My re-do is not quite so tight, though it's still fairly snug. Sometimes the ends stick out a little, but it gives it an interesting look. I tuck them in, but there are still little nubs here and there.

I'll make one for the boy next. Blue.

I am using queen sized sheets, 100 percent cotton (good sheets, too). They ripped so I threw them in the dye with my tablecloth when I dyed that. Teal rit.

I tear them into approx 2" strips, I eyeball it and use scissors to nick...then I just rip them all the way. I pull off the strings and seams if necessary. And then I crochet single cr with a size N hook.

I'm just doing a rectangle, so I started with about a 2" chain, then it's just back and forth.

I had to pull it out because the first three rows or so I was inadvertently increasing, and the result was an uneven edge. So I did go ahead and pull it out and then re-crocheted it correctly and I'm already further than what I have shown here. It goes really fast, but it takes some strength of the hands and shoulders.

My hands and shoulders ached for a while, but they don't anymore. Though I've taken a little break, I might feel it the first day I start back up again, which will probably be today. I need to tear more sheeting.

So when I run out of this color, I'm going to make a border using a different color. I am not sure what color yet..either another green or perhaps red, if I can find red dye. The sheets I will use for that step are also 100 percent cotton, but they are striped white and tan (now). These sheets were an Indian patchwork print, with reds and browns and even yellow, I think.

This is for my daughter's room.

I love the color you achieved with the Rit dye, koshergrl. It's totally mellow and pleasing. Fabric that pleasing is often pushing about $14 a yard these days, and it's only 45" wide. I peeked the other day when I went to Bryan to a JoAnn's store on their sale day. Who'd a thunk it.

Kudos on being a wise homemaker. Your daughter is going to have a beautiful quilt.

I'm finished with the first set of sheets. Tonight I dye the second...I think I'm going to dye them a different shade of green, instead of red. I have green dye on hand and I want to get it done.

It looks pretty good...about 13 inches by 26? I haven't decided if I'm going to crochet the border in rounds, or if I'm going to work back and forth.

I'm finished with the first set of sheets. Tonight I dye the second...I think I'm going to dye them a different shade of green, instead of red. I have green dye on hand and I want to get it done.

It looks pretty good...about 13 inches by 26? I haven't decided if I'm going to crochet the border in rounds, or if I'm going to work back and forth.
Koshergrl, you're a great day-starter. Kudos on your progress for your daughter's beautiful new rug! I'm so tickled and want to see the border when you get there.

:woohoo:

Wow. I just lost my plan. I worked half an hour on showing a new fish and yesterday's work on the sandy bottom. Oh, well, I have to hit the sewing machine. Another day, maybe.

The reply box I was working on just *poof* disappeared. :(

Forum List

Back