Artemis I successful launch

TroglocratsRdumb

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2017
NASA has released a breathtaking video of Earth taken from the Orion capsule as it lifted off this morning in the Artemis I mission.

The uncrewed spacecraft began its 25-day mission around the moon at 2.00am EST (7:00am GMT) today onboard the Space Launch System (SLS) rocket.

Space fans lined the beaches and roads outside the Kennedy Space Center in Florida to watch the historic launch of the $4 billion (£3.5 billion) mission.

This Artemis 1 mission will see the Orion capsule circle the moon and return to our planet after a 1.3 miIlion-mile voyage.

It signals the first stage of the US space agency's goal to return humans to the lunar surface for the first time in half a century.

If successful, the mission will be followed by a crewed trip around the moon in 2024, while a further mission in 2025 hopes to see human boots grace the lunar surface.

artimes1kdlkdjalkdjaldjj.jpg

Comment:
It's exciting to be going back to the moon.
But we don't need to be sending humans to the moon anymore.
It is dangerous and super expensive.
It's much cheaper and safer to send rovers.
Rovers could probably do almost anything that a human could do, and they could work there for years.

NASA has released a breathtaking video of Earth taken from the Orion capsule as it lifted off this morning in the Artemis I mission. The uncrewed spacecraft began its 25-day mission around the moon at 2.00am EST (7:00am GMT) today onboard the Space Launch System (SLS) rocket.

Actually, Artemis lifted off 2.5 days ago, Wednesday morning around 1:47AM. It ought to be about half way to the Moon by now!

How is this any different from what both America and Russia did 50 years ago?

It's not. Why do you ask?
Isn't it obvious that somebody has to ask?

You appear to be making light of the accomplishment, but duly so because nobody seems to know what the hell is being accomplished?

Is this another emperor who has no clothes?

I'm going to reserve my opinions until they put one up with humans and get them through the Van Allen belt.
And then what the hell is the excitement all about? Been there done that 50 years ago.

Any help in answering the question we started with?

Isn't it obvious that somebody has to ask?

You appear to be making light of the accomplishment, but duly so because nobody seems to know what the hell is being accomplished?

Is this another emperor who has no clothes?

I'm going to reserve my opinions until they put one up with humans and get them through the Van Allen belt.
And then what the hell is the excitement all about? Been there done that 50 years ago.

Any help in answering the question we started with?
You sure do type a lot while saying nothing.
Sending a spacecraft to the moon is not qualitatively different than the Apollo program.
It's mission, however, to begin to lay the groundwork for eventual mission to Mars IS different.
Feel better now?

to begin to lay the groundwork for eventual mission to Mars IS different.
Feel better now?
Good point Ed, but no I don't feel much better.
Maybe I will when they go to Mars.

Right now, I don't think they will try to go to Mars.

By that time they will come to realize that there's no real purpose. It's like how I feel that the Russians had the right purpose all along by leading in putting up a space station that pioneered the science.. Their emperor had clothes!

Which could raise another issue Ed. Why try to go to the moon?

That was a macho race to a finish line to prove who was better. We won the race but so what. This is a beginning step toward a long term colony on the moon. If successful we'll use the same knowledge to colonize and explore the rest of the solar system. We're not racing anyone so we can be methodical and incremental.

There are major differences. It is preparation for a permanent moon base. Interplanetary travel benefits greatly with a moon base or refueling station in space

I can't imagine anyone foolhardy enough to get on a Russian nuclear rocket. They can't get proper tires for their military with their rampant corruption.
Russia is using its Soyuz system a half century way to space for them and will use it until the next generation comes. Which is not pie in the sky and they slowly develop.

May I suggest NASA use the most advanced within reason cameras and other ways to give the taxpayers a vision of what they paid for. And it will give NASA the same great views. Equity with medieval thinking is always a good combination.

Forum List

Back