Armed bystander confronts stabbing suspect at Seattle Center

Again, this is a people problem not a "gun" problem. Also I noticed they named the concealed pistol license (CPL) holder in the story but not the violent asshole

Woman stabbed in front of 4-year-old son at Seattle Center, boy's father arrested

A woman in her 30s was in critical condition following a stabbing at the Seattle Center on Friday evening.

The woman was stabbed several times, Seattle Police said, at the MOD Pizza inside The Armory, which houses restaurants, the Seattle Children's Museum and hosts plays by the Seattle Shakespeare theater company.

Police said a suspect is in custody and the woman was taken to Harborview Hospital with life-threatening injuries. A Harborview spokesperson, Susan Gregg, said the woman is in critical condition. A second person was taken to Harborview in stable condition. It's unclear how that person was hurt.

Right after the stabbing, the suspect left the building. A bystander with a concealed-carry permit pulled his gun on the suspect. Another witness recorded the confrontation.
All those people should have beat the guys ass and disarmed him. I cant figure out why the guy pulled the gun. It obviously didnt scare the guy.
Apparently it was a collaborative effort - there wasn't a lot of fight left in him once he got pepper-sprayed :)
“…there wasn't a lot of fight left in him once he got pepper-sprayed”

Which would indicate that the suspect was subdued with a non-lethal weapon, not a gun.
That much is obvious from the video, but you don't think him being confronted by someone with a firearm, even though he didn't shoot gave him pause, even if only mentally?

Again, this is a people problem not a "gun" problem. Also I noticed they named the concealed pistol license (CPL) holder in the story but not the violent asshole

Woman stabbed in front of 4-year-old son at Seattle Center, boy's father arrested

A woman in her 30s was in critical condition following a stabbing at the Seattle Center on Friday evening.

The woman was stabbed several times, Seattle Police said, at the MOD Pizza inside The Armory, which houses restaurants, the Seattle Children's Museum and hosts plays by the Seattle Shakespeare theater company.

Police said a suspect is in custody and the woman was taken to Harborview Hospital with life-threatening injuries. A Harborview spokesperson, Susan Gregg, said the woman is in critical condition. A second person was taken to Harborview in stable condition. It's unclear how that person was hurt.

Right after the stabbing, the suspect left the building. A bystander with a concealed-carry permit pulled his gun on the suspect. Another witness recorded the confrontation.
All those people should have beat the guys ass and disarmed him. I cant figure out why the guy pulled the gun. It obviously didnt scare the guy.
Apparently it was a collaborative effort - there wasn't a lot of fight left in him once he got pepper-sprayed :)

Which would indicate that the suspect was subdued with a non-lethal weapon, not a gun.
That much is obvious from the video, but you don't think him being confronted by someone with a firearm, even though he didn't shoot gave him pause, even if only mentally?
Probably not. If you are worked up like that then you simply dont care.

It doesn’t matter what I think.

The fact remains that in many jurisdictions he could be charged with brandishing and assault because there was no imminent threat of injury or death to the license holder.

He’s not a sworn officer, he doesn’t have the authority to detain criminal suspects with a firearm.

And with the law notwithstanding, his actions were reckless and irresponsible, inconsistent with appropriate gun ownership.

Indeed, his actions reflect poorly on those of us who carry concealed firearms.

“A bystander with a concealed-carry permit pulled his gun on the suspect.”

Whereby the ignorant concealed license holder could be charged with brandishing and assault with a deadly weapon because the suspect did not pose an immediate threat to the license holder.

It’s incumbent upon a gunowner to know and understand the laws of his state and local jurisdiction, to act in a responsible manner with his concealed firearm, and to understand that he may use his firearm only for that of self-defense of himself and those in his company – not to detain criminal suspects.

Perhaps you could explain how a man, with hands covered in blood and carrying the knife he just used to murder a woman, is not considered an immediate threat to anyone around him? If you could cite the relevant laws that would make this true, I'd appreciate it. You know, in order to alleviate the ignorance of those of us who don't think what the gun holder did was illegal or would result in charges. :)

I'm assuming that by saying that people should have "beat" the guy's ass and disarmed him, you mean the knife wielding suspect. It's not that easy. You probably watch too much TV or movies. A person standing across a room (12 to 14 feet away) can cross that room and stab you within 2 seconds. Get hold of a rubber play knife and have a friend charge you as fast as he/she can and see if that play knife gets "imbedded" in you....it will (if it were real). Even if multiple people jump at a person at the same time, one or more are going to get some nasty knife wounds. This is why, when cops confront a person wielding a knife in a threatening manner, they warn the person to drop the knife and if he/she advances on them, they shoot to kill.

I'm assuming that by saying that people should have "beat" the guy's ass and disarmed him, you mean the knife wielding suspect. It's not that easy. You probably watch too much TV or movies. A person standing across a room (12 to 14 feet away) can cross that room and stab you within 2 seconds. Get hold of a rubber play knife and have a friend charge you as fast as he/she can and see if that play knife gets "imbedded" in you....it will (if it were real). Even if multiple people jump at a person at the same time, one or more are going to get some nasty knife wounds. This is why, when cops confront a person wielding a knife in a threatening manner, they warn the person to drop the knife and if he/she advances on them, they shoot to kill.
No TV or movies. Real life situations. Most people have no clue how to use a knife. Its pretty easy to disarm a knife wielding person with just two people. I would have zero qualms about doing it by myself. I forget a lot of people didnt grow up like I did.

As long as the guy still had the knife in hand, he is a threat (he didn't drop it until cops tazed him) and the guy with the gun had every right to point it at him...even shoot him. He chose not too.

I'm assuming that by saying that people should have "beat" the guy's ass and disarmed him, you mean the knife-wielding . It's not that easy. You probably watch too much TV or movies. A person standing across a room (12 to 14 feet away) can cross that room and stab you within 2 seconds. Get hold of a rubber play knife and have a friend charge you as fast as he can and see if that play knife gets "imbedded" in you....it will (if it were real). Even if multiple people jump at a person at the same time, one or more are going to get some nasty knife wounds. This is why, when cops confront a person wielding a knife in a threatening manner, they warn the person to drop the knife and if he advances on them, they shoot to kill.
We Don't Need More Prisons, We Need More Morgues

Again, we have been tricked into believing that criminals caught in the act have rights. They should not be warned at all. Instead, for the benefit of society, these enemies of the human race must be killed immediately. If the cop or gunowner doesn't eliminate the perp with the first shot, he should keep shooting until the threat is terminated forever.

Forum List

Back