Ariens Co. fires seven Muslim employees over unscheduled prayer breaks

That's the beauty of owning your own business. You make the rules, not the hired help. They have the right to not have production interrupted and obviously preferred to stay on schedule instead of being a quasi-mosque. If you religion prevents you from a job, find another job, another religion or adjust to the circumstances.

The law requires that employers not discriminate against anyone because of religion. To this end, all employees must be afforded reasonable accommodations to allow for religious obligations. If an unemployment action or lawsuit occurs, the employer will have a burden to prove that the requested accommodation was unreasonable.

Just because you hate Muslims does not make the accommodation unreasonable. That the accommodation had previously been granted weights in the favor of finding that the accommodation was reasonable and did not great undue burden on the employer.

That is the law. I know you don't like it, but it's the law all the same.
You're an idiot. I never said I hated Muslims, you pulled that out of your ample posterior. There's no law that requires business owners to provide a mechanism for employees to take time off of during work to fulfill their religious preferences. You made that up too. Owning a business doesn't mean you are obligated by law to pander top any dipshit thing people come up with.

What about the Christian pharmacists who don't want to dole out birth control or so-called abortifacients?

What about the Kim Davis's of the world who don't want to issue marriage licenses to same sex couples?
Does the state own the pharmacy? Do you? That's their call, not yours. Freedom goes both ways, it doesn't mean get to demand what freemen serve you. Last I heard there was no federal law forcing pharmacists to sell morning after pills, that's why some states have intervened.

Fail.

You're an idiot.

Perhaps. But not as much as yourself.
Wow, that was witty, you sure proved the point! Chopping up the post proves it too!

I never said I hated Muslims

But you keep proving it with every argument that is so pathetic it can't be explained any other way.
No one owes you an explanation. You lied and now your throw dirt to try to cover it. You don't get to define the laws of the land, period. You don't get to decide what's important to everybody else. You don't get to define how much money a business has to lose to accommodate someone's belief system. You are not God.

you pulled that out of your ample posterior.

Actually, I have a very skinny and bony ass. I would only wish that my posterior were "ample." Chicks dig it.

It should have been obvious it was a metaphor. People don't literally pull statements out of their asses either. I'll bet the chicks enjoy toying with you like a bug in a jar.

There's no law that requires business owners to provide a mechanism for employees to take time off of during work to fulfill their religious preferences.

The law prohibits discrimination, and subsequently requires reasonable accommodations. Your attempt to rephrase the circumstances so as to avoid that fact is rejected.

I don't particularly care what some halfwit on the internet accepts or rejects. Discrimination doesn't mean anything you want it to mean. Scientologists aren't going to be allowed to have clearing sessions during the work day either if the employer shoots it down. Most of us learn we can't have everything all our way when we are toddlers.

Owning a business doesn't mean you are obligated by law to pander top any dipshit thing people come up with.

It sure as hell doesn't mean you have a legal right to discriminate against people simply by couching your discrimination in other terms.
I didn't change any terms, you pounded your cyber chest and pretended to speak from the throne and clarified the Constitution for us minions. If you are sensitive to the issue I believe people are "discriminating" against you because you're an idiot, not because of your race or religion.

I didn't change any terms, you pounded your cyber chest and pretended to speak from the throne and clarified the Constitution for us minions. If you are sensitive to the issue I believe people are "discriminating" against you because you're an idiot, not because of your race or religion.

:lol:

Now you've become more blatant with your red herring arguments, as you run away from actually addressing what has been said. Good day to you. :lol:

:lol:

Now you've become more blatant with your red herring arguments, as you run away from actually addressing what has been said. Good day to you. :lol:
You don't know what the term red herring means and are just using it as a debate term you heard. My point was ...
"You don't get to define the laws of the land, period."

That's not a red herring, it addresses exactly the problem here. You think businesses have to accommodate any religious restrictions but it's wrong. I think you got caught up in the words 'discrimination' and 'accommodation' without understanding they are not finite terms and shouldn't be misused to put businesses under or create a hardship. That's not good for everybody else involved.

Ariens Co. says it has fired seven Muslim employees for taking unscheduled prayer breaks,

Ariens was stupid to hire them in the first place!! i am certain there are true Americans who can fill those vacant positions.

why does any company want to hire a muslime when there are 94,000,000+ unemployed Americans :up:

Ariens Co. says it has fired seven Muslim employees for taking unscheduled prayer breaks, and 14 others have resigned over the issue.

More than 50 Somali immigrant Muslims at the Brillion manufacturer recently protested the company's enforcement of a policy of two 10-minute breaks per work shift — without accommodations forunscheduled prayer time.

The Muslim employees wanted the manufacturer of snowblowers and lawn mowers to continue a previous, more lenient practice of allowing them to leave their work stations at different times — such as at dawn and sunset — to pray as their faith requires of them.

Ariens said it was sticking with a policy that does not accommodate special prayer breaks, despite having bent the rules earlier.

Wednesday, Ariens said 32 of the Muslim employees have chosen to stay with the company and work within the break policy, 14 had resigned and seven were fired for taking unscheduled prayer time.

"We handled this with the same straightforward approach we use every day at Ariens Company. Recognizing there are language barriers and cultural differences, we allowed for extra time. We would have liked for more of the employees to stay, however, we respect their faith, we respect the work they have done for Ariens Company, and we respect their decisions," the company said.

The Council on American-Islamic Relations, a Washington, D.C.-based group that has been an advocate for the Muslims at Ariens, says it may file a complaint with the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, which enforces federal employment discrimination laws.
Ariens Co. fires seven Muslim employees

Just one word: assimilation If you are changing your home country expect there to be cultural differences.
If a western woman was going to live in a Muslim country, she would have to assimilate to their culture and never drive a car, wear a head scarf and change your way of dressing. If she couldn't handle that, don't go to a Muslim country. Vice Versa likewise.

Our nation and laws represent what most Americans believe, that is we are a pluralistic society++, Islamic governments are not. We once had Blue Laws and Jim Crow laws which segregated our society, something the vast majority of Americans reject.

++A pluralistic society is a diverse one, where the people in it believe all kinds of different things and tolerate each other's beliefs even when they don't match their own.

Interesting how RW'ers tend to react so differently to accommodations for Christians vs accommodations for Muslims.
What workplace accommodations are made for Christians. I forget.

The attempted workplace 'accommodations' for such as Kim Davis, the homophobe, or,

the desire for workplace 'accommodations' for so-called Christian pharmacists who don't want to dispense birth control prescriptions for 'religious' reasons,

two examples, overwhelmingly supported by rightwing Christians.

Ariens Co. says it has fired seven Muslim employees for taking unscheduled prayer breaks,

Ariens was stupid to hire them in the first place!! i am certain there are true Americans who can fill those vacant positions.

why does any company want to hire a muslime when there are 94,000,000+ unemployed Americans :up:
Actually, he hired many of them, over 40 I believe. He must have thought he was doing something good for them. He went out of his way to accommodate them, but it was costing him. So, he changed some of the policies to conform to traditional companies while still a accommodating most of their requests. He has 7 vacancies to fill. I doubt if he will fill them with Muslims. He's learned his lesson.

Buy American, Hire American.

Interesting how RW'ers tend to react so differently to accommodations for Christians vs accommodations for Muslims.

The attempted workplace 'accommodations' for such as Kim Davis, the homophobe, or,

the desire for workplace 'accommodations' for so-called Christian pharmacists who don't want to dispense birth control prescriptions for 'religious' reasons,

I've never actually met a philosophy that actually believes it can force others to give you things and, at the same time, call it a right. I'm going to fire ten muslims to day just to prove a point. It will be fun.

Are there pharmacists who won't fill birth control pills? That Kim Davis fiasco was bad. She should have been canned immediately.

Are there pharmacists who won't fill birth control pills? That Kim Davis fiasco was bad. She should have been canned immediately.
He's still babbling about morning after pills. He thinks Christians should be compelled by the state to kill off any life that may have developed after unprotected sex. The leftists like that, no one has the right to oppose their agenda.

He's still babbling about morning after pills. He thinks Christians should be compelled by the state to kill off any life that may have developed after unprotected sex. The leftists like that, no one has the right to oppose their agenda.

You're proving my point.

You're proving my point.
That you're an idiot? Yes, I know.

You lie.

Court Smacks Down Pharmacy That Refused To Fill Prescriptions On Religious Grounds

You're proving my point.
That you're an idiot? Yes, I know.

I proved the point that you automatically flip flop when it's Christians rather than Muslims.

You're proving my point.
That doesn't compare to walking off the job several times a day.

Ariens Co. says it has fired seven Muslim employees for taking unscheduled prayer breaks, and 14 others have resigned over the issue.

More than 50 Somali immigrant Muslims at the Brillion manufacturer recently protested the company's enforcement of a policy of two 10-minute breaks per work shift — without accommodations forunscheduled prayer time.

The Muslim employees wanted the manufacturer of snowblowers and lawn mowers to continue a previous, more lenient practice of allowing them to leave their work stations at different times — such as at dawn and sunset — to pray as their faith requires of them.

Ariens said it was sticking with a policy that does not accommodate special prayer breaks, despite having bent the rules earlier.

Wednesday, Ariens said 32 of the Muslim employees have chosen to stay with the company and work within the break policy, 14 had resigned and seven were fired for taking unscheduled prayer time.

"We handled this with the same straightforward approach we use every day at Ariens Company. Recognizing there are language barriers and cultural differences, we allowed for extra time. We would have liked for more of the employees to stay, however, we respect their faith, we respect the work they have done for Ariens Company, and we respect their decisions," the company said.

The Council on American-Islamic Relations, a Washington, D.C.-based group that has been an advocate for the Muslims at Ariens, says it may file a complaint with the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, which enforces federal employment discrimination laws.

Just one word: assimilation If you are changing your home country expect there to be cultural differences.
If a western woman was going to live in a Muslim country, she would have to assimilate to their culture and never drive a car, wear a head scarf and change your way of dressing. If she couldn't handle that, don't go to a Muslim country. Vice Versa likewise.
I would have done the same.....Praying does not make me money.....

I would have done the same.....Praying does not make me money.....
Well, not only that, but people running off at any time would break the line of work, idling others until they decide to come back, only to do it 4 more times during the day. It cuts down on productivity of the entire operation not allowing the company to even break even, let alone make a profit.

Forum List

Back