Are You More Or Less "Free" In A Society That

Luck has nothing to do with it. In 1986, I was 24 years old, with 12K in the bank and making 40k/year. I made a conscious decision that credit wasn't smart money (unless you could get 0%). It has worked out well for me, though I can't count the days I had to "go without" because I didn't have the cash to go and get whatever I wanted NOW. What if you go out today and finance a home for 300K, based on your income, then get hit by a bus tomorrow?

Your wife will have to pay for the house, or be homeless.

Mine will bury me, then come back home to the house she owned the day she unlocked the door. But mine had to "do without" for a long time to help get us into that position.

Luck has absolutely nothing to do with it. ANYONE can do what I did, but it isn't an easy or convenient choice to make.
I bet if you give me the details of your backgrond and circumstances I can show you exactly how "luck" had everything to do with your current situation.

Of course that doesn't negate the actual hard work you put in, but to dispense with one's personal situation is just...folly. Just as it is to say everything is based on luck. It's a mix of the two. BTW...I use luck to equate to one's personal life circumstance.

I find this new "I got mine, fuck those who dun have theirs" social darwinism creepy. You're entitled to be very proud of what you have achieved, Mini. But why must that translate to a cavalier attitude to all who are less fortunate?

The average Joe/Jane is living barely from check to check. Pull their job and/or means of income from under them and watch them sink into squalor.

Perhaps this is why the baggers are so afraid or whatever they are. They fear for their jobs, that the Right has made their business to send overseas. Prime example being Carla Figorelli (sp).

Dis wrote:

I'm telling you I fought my way through every obstacle in life and didn't waste precious time by screaming that things were unfair. I simply did what I had to do to get to where I want to be.

You're welcome to assume anything you like in regards to me. I'm fine with it.

I'll assume you walked barefooted uphill to school and back if you like. Why hope/wish/allow things to be much, much harder for the newest crop of young people than they were for you?

Where's the payoff?

And I bet if you give me the details of your background and circumstances I can show you exactly how your personal choices have put you in the position you are in today.

You're not looking for real solutions. You're looking for a quick, easy fix to your current personal dilemma.

Can't help you there, especially when you've already decided on the answer you want to hear.
I'm quite happy with my station in life. I'm doing well and only doing better and better. Thank you very much.

Must be that silver spoon you were born with, Mr. Lucky!

I'm telling you I fought my way through every obstacle in life and didn't waste precious time by screaming that things were unfair. I simply did what I had to do to get to where I want to be.

That's what I thought. You did your part, and everything worked out well. Lucky you.

:clap2:

Luck has nothing to do with it. In 1986, I was 24 years old, with 12K in the bank and making 40k/year. I made a conscious decision that credit wasn't smart money (unless you could get 0%). It has worked out well for me, though I can't count the days I had to "go without" because I didn't have the cash to go and get whatever I wanted NOW. What if you go out today and finance a home for 300K, based on your income, then get hit by a bus tomorrow?

Mine will bury me, then come back home to the house she owned the day she unlocked the door. But mine had to "do without" for a long time to help get us into that position.

Luck has absolutely nothing to do with it. ANYONE can do what I did, but it isn't an easy or convenient choice to make.
I bet if you give me the details of your backgrond and circumstances I can show you exactly how "luck" had everything to do with your current situation.

Of course that doesn't negate the actual hard work you put in, but to dispense with one's personal situation is just...folly. Just as it is to say everything is based on luck. It's a mix of the two. BTW...I use luck to equate to one's personal life circumstance.

I find this new "I got mine, fuck those who dun have theirs" social darwinism creepy. You're entitled to be very proud of what you have achieved, Mini. But why must that translate to a cavalier attitude to all who are less fortunate?

I find this new "I don't have any, so give me yours" sense of entitlement creepy. You're entitled to get off your tail, and go get your own. But, why insist that someone else's should be everyone else's, simply because someone else has more?

The average Joe/Jane is living barely from check to check. Pull their job and/or means of income from under them and watch them sink into squalor.

Perhaps this is why the baggers are so afraid or whatever they are. They fear for their jobs, that the Right has made their business to send overseas. Prime example being Carla Figorelli (sp).

Well, in fairness, most Americans dun seem to have Clue One as to how finances work. They just fired a whole bunch of DOD workers here because, as they handle payroll, they had to have security clearances and good credit is a pre-requisite. Most seemed to have lost that credit rating via co-signing a child's student loan or car loan, a few via a relative's disease.

If your job is contingent on your credit rating, and you know it, I assume most would not risk it -- these people clearly did not understand the implications of the decisions they made. They do now, but it is too late.

I get a little defensive when someone says I got here by "luck." Ask my wife how lucky she felt every time I told her "we can't afford a house yet." She had to sacrifice too, and today, neither of us know or care what our credit score is.

And we never will.

I don't care what anyone else has, or what they owe. I know what I have, I know what I owe, and I didn't get here by "luck." I got here by sacrifice and busting my ass, just like anyone else can.

Luck is only for the lazy.

Dis wrote:

I find this new "I don't have any, so give me yours" sense of entitlement creepy. You're entitled to get off your tail, and go get your own. But, why insist that someone else's should be everyone else's, simply because someone else has more?

In 1980, no landlord would have even considered pulling a credit report on a prospective tenant. In 1990, a few did. Today, they almost all do.

How is objecting to steeply rising pre-requisites for a decent life "Gimmie yours"?

Mini wrote:

I get a little defensive when someone says I got here by "luck." Ask my wife how lucky she felt every time I told her "we can't afford a house yet." She had to sacrifice too, and today, neither of us know or care what our credit score is.

And we never will.

I don't care what anyone else has, or what they owe. I know what I have, I know what I owe, and I didn't get here by "luck." I got here by sacrifice and busting my ass, just like anyone else can.

So, by your reasoning no one has a bad credit rating via misfortune?

Dis wrote:

In 1980, no landlord would have even considered pulling a credit report on a prospective tenant. In 1990, a few did. Today, they almost all do.

How is objecting to steeply rising pre-requisites for a decent life "Gimmie yours"?

Pay cash up-front today and they won't give a shit about your credit.

Likely give you a handsome discount as well :)

I hardly see how going without dinners out, movies, flashy clothes/jewelry, boats, motorcycles, vacations, etc. in the beginning of your life in an attempt to secure some sort of future for yourself falls under the category of "luck"..

Sounds an awful lot like self-sacrifice to me...

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

Mini wrote:

And we never will.

So, by your reasoning no one has a bad credit rating via misfortune?

I didn't say that. What I said was "I didn't get here by luck."

Someone else's credit rating is not my concern.

If I don't give a shit about MY credit rating, why should I care about someone else's?

Dis wrote:

I'll assume you walked barefooted uphill to school and back if you like. Why hope/wish/allow things to be much, much harder for the newest crop of young people than they were for you?

Where's the payoff?

Hope? Not even close. Wish? Of course not. Allow? Sure, I'll allow them to make their own mistakes. Overcoming obstacles becomes just that much more rewarding, and you quickly learn to appreciate what you've EARNED. Would I not aid them just to teach them a lesson? Only if sheer stupidity dictated their actions, and even then I'd watch from a distance just to make sure they didn't further harm themselves, or anyone else. But they're damn well not getting anything handed to them on a silver platter. It doesn't do anyone any good.

Assuming you have kids (I have no idea), wouldn't you at least want the security of knowing they know how to take care of themselves in any situation that arises, and they'll survive just fine after you're gone?

What should a corporation be privy to? How about your stock portfolio showing your bad decisions and losses. Your gambling losses. Your friends. Any ex-spouses? Childrens criminal records. Miscarriages? Hospital bills.

Dis wrote:

Nowadays, people still steal right in front of you, ON CAMERA, and still say "I didn't take anything!"...

Shit changes. Either change with it, or don't. It's everyone's choice.

If you don't like people judging your credit-worthiness on credit scores and the like, don't borrow money. It is as simple as that.

Why should a lender loan money to a stranger, without seeking to find out if said person is a good risk? That is what we are talking about. Risk.

Gosh..from what I see here..everyone seems to think that greed, theft and everything wrong with humanity got started around 01/13/2009.

Gosh..from what I see here..everyone seems to think that greed, theft and everything wrong with humanity got started around 01/13/2009.

You came up with that particular date where? Or, are you just that young?

My point is that corporations control your freedoms like the other enity, the government. The only way to escape both is pay cash & give up credit. But you will never be as free as the illegal alien is in America.

WTF? Corporations can allow you to attain your freedoms. Not many people have, let's say money in the bank for a house or heavy equipment. Corporations can help, if you have the credit. Go ahead and pay cash....for what you can afford.
Have you ever seen a van full of illegals get in a wreck? They scatter like flies, I guess you can call that freedom. I've seen it, but it didn't look anything like freedom to me.

Outside of the cheese for credit because they can't get much cash out of you, what has a corporation done in your favor of freedoms? How did selling your credit history to the sharks help you out? How did sending all your personal information to India help you out? Why do people spend thousands a year making themselves invisible? If the mob wanted you for some reason, do you think they would have trouble finding you? Or an investigator? Or a creditor? I know, I know, "Well, if you haven't got anything to hide." The fact is, you have nothing that is hidden, nothing. Is that freedom? Maybe in your world, but not mine.

Ever seen a load of gang members bailout of a car and run, that don't seem like freedom to me either. Or in Arizona, innocent Mexicans being pulled from their cars.

Please link the source about the Mexicans, Okay.
Where in hell do you think you would be without corporations? Give me a friggin break.
I have no idea what the rest of your drivel is about. Sharks? India? I haven't heard from any of them so I guess it worked out Okay. If the mob wanted you they could find you too, so I don't know what that is about either. Sounding a little paranoid there, shintao.

Forum List

Back