Are you an intuitive or reflective thinker?

An interesting study published in the Journal of Experimental Psychology by Harvard researchers printed here The Harvard Crimson:

Study Finds Correlation Between Belief in God and Cognitive Style | News | The Harvard Crimson

For months (years) I've argued that conservatives, and in particular social conservatives, rarely engage in critical thinking. Posted above is an article which supports my observations.

Were the Harvard researchers who conducted the study intuitive, or reflective?

An interesting study published in the Journal of Experimental Psychology by Harvard researchers printed here The Harvard Crimson:

Study Finds Correlation Between Belief in God and Cognitive Style | News | The Harvard Crimson

For months (years) I've argued that conservatives, and in particular social conservatives, rarely engage in critical thinking. Posted above is an article which supports my observations.

Gee, Wry...good thing I'm an agnostic conservative. (eye-roll) I always get a kick out of those of you on the Left who continually try to portray yourselves as "critical thinkers" and conservatives as blathering idiots parroting right wing talking points. Perhaps you could explain the psychology behind THAT pathological need from your side?

Gee, Wry...good thing I'm an agnostic conservative. (eye-roll) I always get a kick out of those of you on the Left who continually try to portray yourselves as "critical thinkers" and conservatives as blathering idiots parroting right wing talking points. Perhaps you could explain the psychology behind THAT pathological need from your side?

"pathological need"? Perhaps you might explain your 'need' to offer an ad hominem attack phrased in pseudo intellectualism? Human beings responded to stimuli and some human beings study the process.

I do try to look at all things rationally and think them through. Always? Nope, sometimes I too react by emotion. But, I question the world around me, yes, even the study I posted for discussion and judge it does offer more evidence that conservatives in general, and social conservatives in particular are fucked up (yes, that is my judgment).

Now, before you react emotionally to my "fucked up" comment, ask yourself, "how does Wry define conservative?" Personally, I believe in the rule of law and justice for all; I believe we should all be responsible. I pay my bills in full every month, borrow only when necessary (and only twice, to buy property) and treat people as I like to be treated.

Conservatives on this board, are judgmental (as were you in this post), hold unproven hypotheses as immutable truths and are bigots (i.e. are intolerant of anyone and anything which questions their worldview).

Of course we all make judgments, as I did above. But some judgments are based on evidence and reasoned consideration, and others by emotion. Hence, the study offered evidence that my judgment of the set of conservatives who post here is likely accurate. That, however, does not mean I believe some of the tenets of conservatives are not rational, for I do not and in fact practice some in my daily life.

"pathological need"? Perhaps you might explain your 'need' to offer an ad hominem attack phrased in pseudo intellectualism? Human beings responded to stimuli and some human beings study the process.

I do try to look at all things rationally and think them through. Always? Nope, sometimes I too react by emotion. But, I question the world around me, yes, even the study I posted for discussion and judge it does offer more evidence that conservatives in general, and social conservatives in particular are fucked up (yes, that is my judgment).

Now, before you react emotionally to my "fucked up" comment, ask yourself, "how does Wry define conservative?" Personally, I believe in the rule of law and justice for all; I believe we should all be responsible. I pay my bills in full every month, borrow only when necessary (and only twice, to buy property) and treat people as I like to be treated.

Conservatives on this board, are judgmental (as were you in this post), hold unproven hypotheses as immutable truths and are bigots (i.e. are intolerant of anyone and anything which questions their worldview).

Of course we all make judgments, as I did above. But some judgments are based on evidence and reasoned consideration, and others by emotion. Hence, the study offered evidence that my judgment of the set of conservatives who post here is likely accurate. That, however, does not mean I believe some of the tenets of conservatives are not rational, for I do not and in fact practice some in my daily life.

So I'm judgmental, hold unproven hypotheses as immutable truths and I'm a bigot?

Let's take these pearls of wisdom one at a time, shall we?

As you said "we all make judgements". For some reason you seem to feel mine are based solely on emotion. I'm not sure how you arrived at that conclusion and I'd be curious to have you provide an example of a judgement you think I've based on emotion.

What unproven hypotheses do I hold as immutable truths? That's quite a sweeping statement and as with the statement above you've backed it up with nothing more than your "belief".

And you base your belief that I'm a bigot based on what? Between you and I, Wry? I don't think you know enough about me to make that judgement. Let me fill in some of the personal "blanks" for you. I grew up in a liberal college town in Western Massachusetts where I went to school with the sons and daughters of minority professors and administrators. I'm sorry but I don't have a problem with people of other races, creeds or religions because I grew up having them as friends. I also don't have issues with gay men or gay women because that also was not uncommon in the area where I grew up. That's why despite being a conservative I have no problem with same sex marriages nor will you ever hear me make racially charged statements about minorities. Quite frankly, I find bigoted people to be ignorant people.

So do yourself a favor...stop making generalizations about people you don't know.

Last edited:
"Now, before you react emotionally to my "fucked up" comment, ask yourself, "how does Wry define conservative?" Personally, I believe in the rule of law and justice for all; I believe we should all be responsible. I pay my bills in full every month, borrow only when necessary (and only twice, to buy property) and treat people as I like to be treated." Wry Catcher

What I find most amusing about this statement from you, Wry...is that the things you seem to believe in for your personal life...you don't seem to believe in at all for how our government should be run.

Was that too emotional a reaction for you?

"Now, before you react emotionally to my "fucked up" comment, ask yourself, "how does Wry define conservative?" Personally, I believe in the rule of law and justice for all; I believe we should all be responsible. I pay my bills in full every month, borrow only when necessary (and only twice, to buy property) and treat people as I like to be treated." Wry Catcher

What I find most amusing about this statement from you, Wry...is that the things you seem to believe in for your personal life...you don't seem to believe in at all for how our government should be run.

Was that too emotional a reaction for you?

Nope, it was a reasonable response. The difference between personal and governmental isn't too far off, but they are not congruent.

Do I think government (we are talking Federal) spends too much? Maybe. My problems with government spending is priorities. Do we as taxpayers derive a cost-benefit or even cost-neutral? I don't think so. Too much of our tax dollars are spent on political patronage which benefits the few.

Tax cuts, for example, to the mythical job creators; R&D into new weapons to the industrail complex which hires retired military/members of congress to lobby for more and more. Yet spends too little on the equipment to make those we put into harms way safer.

I object to paying taxes which primarily make the rich wealthier. I would have no problems with the Feds using my tax dollars to provide preventative health care to all of our citizens, to buy up all the land the farmers of tobacco control and plow under their lethal crop, or to rebuild the electric grid, make rail a viable alternative to one man, one car gridlock and a dozen other matters which beneit the many and not the few.

For decades, I've argued that leftists are not capable of thought.

Behind every response from a leftist is a Pavlov ringing a bell.

For decades, I've argued that leftists are not capable of thought.

Behind every response from a leftist is a Pavlov ringing a bell.

Yet it took you 17 days to post a non sequitur idiotgram.

While I do not dismiss this research as nonsense I defintiely do think that we are all BOTH.

No matter how much we might THINK we are being rational everything we think is filtered through out emotional (subconscious) database, TOO.

That is why two people can agree on the facts and still come up with very different POVs,

All new data is measured against and with all previously known data (and our feeling about what that data really means)

Critical thinking is a skill. One learns it. It is not something that is representative of any political opinion.... and if you actually used the skill, you would know that. But, as you are no more than a shill who prefers bullshit to reality, I am not surprised.

While I do not dismiss this research as nonsense I defintiely do think that we are all BOTH.

No matter how much we might THINK we are being rational everything we think is filtered through out emotional (subconscious) database, TOO.

That is why two people can agree on the facts and still come up with very different POVs,

All new data is measured against and with all previously known data (and our feeling about what that data really means)

Most people are, indeed, both. It is dishonest hacks who use such studies to back up their previously held opinions, rather than using the information to inform and review their opinions. Very few people use critical thinking... and that includes WhineCrapper - who would not know 'critical thought' if it introduced itself with a business card.

People who believe in the man in the sky are quick to jump to conclusions and make judgements.

Sounds about right.

Intuition is subliminal logic.

EXACTLY right.

Intuition is the intelligence that nature has given higher animals such that they can decide without having ALL THE DATA.

If we didn't ACT intuitively every damned day, we're NEVER DO ANYTHING.

Some of us trust that intuitive thinking process more than others, but we ALL use our intuition pretty much constantly.

Pure logical rational thinking is actually something that we seldom do unless we are working at MATH or Physics or some hard science where the rule of rational thinking are clearly set out for us.

Forum List

Back