Are You a Yankee Doodle Dandy?

Flopper

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2010
Washington
As another birthday of our nation approaches people are planning their celebration of the founding of this great nation. At almost any organized event you're likely to hear the song Yankee Doodle Dandy. Many people seem to think the origin the song was the George M. Cohan musical but it goes back much further.

The first version of “Yankee Doodle” seems to have been written by a British army physician in the French Indian War. It poked fun at the colonist. Later several versions were written by colonists, meant to be more funny than patriotic. However, the version we sing today was a British song. During the war it became a marching song used by both the British and colonists.

Few colonist gave any thought to what a Yankee Doodle Dandy might be. The real meaning of the song is an insult. It's not just any insult, either. With “Yankee Doodle,” the Redcoats were delivering the most puerile, schoolyard insult in the schoolyard insult book. They were suggesting that American soldiers were gay. A dandy was vain and shallow person who dressed like a doll, often a mommy’s boy, a ninny, a very effeminate fellow.

That Diss Song Known as ‘Yankee Doodle’

I aint' no dandy! What have you heard!? Who you been talking to!?
I'm a "dandy" and a yankee, Who has a problem with it? Lets arm wrestle don't be a wussy.
You're lucky I have a ringing in my ear and a bruised coccyx, or I'd take you up on that challenge and totally embarrass you!
That's all? My collarbone tried to fly away from my body numerous times. I just said f the south and it was all good, a revelation lol

As another birthday of our nation approaches people are planning their celebration of the founding of this great nation. At almost any organized event you're likely to hear the song Yankee Doodle Dandy. Many people seem to think the origin the song was the George M. Cohan musical but it goes back much further.

The first version of “Yankee Doodle” seems to have been written by a British army physician in the French Indian War. It poked fun at the colonist. Later several versions were written by colonists, meant to be more funny than patriotic. However, the version we sing today was a British song. During the war it became a marching song used by both the British and colonists.

Few colonist gave any thought to what a Yankee Doodle Dandy might be. The real meaning of the song is an insult. It's not just any insult, either. With “Yankee Doodle,” the Redcoats were delivering the most puerile, schoolyard insult in the schoolyard insult book. They were suggesting that American soldiers were gay. A dandy was vain and shallow person who dressed like a doll, often a mommy’s boy, a ninny, a very effeminate fellow.

A bit like embracing "deplorables"; a spit in the eye to those who put that type of spin on it. After all, the Yankee Doodles kicked the Redcoats' asses!!! I like that about you yanks; an insult from an enemy becomes a badge of Honour!!!

Greg

Those "Yankee Doodle Dandies" totally SMASHED the fucking Redcoats. Sorry if someone already said that.

Not only that but it was a sarcastic insult. Their soldiers had the matching uniforms and all the latest and greatest--we were scrubs. The line that says "Stuck a feather in his hat and called it macaroni" alludes to this...the American soldiers have no uniforms, nothing fancy at all, so we would stick random bird feathers in our hats and say "there, fancy enough", in effect.

Total insult song. But as I tell my students, the insult songs take on a new meaning when you win the war, right? You can rub them in the faces of those who used to mock you. Which is why Yankee Doodle became our song. :)

As an aside, I refuse to kowtow to the overwrought Victorian Age Part Two in which we're living. So when a couple of overwrought students say, "That's so mean!!!" I shrug, and sometimes say, "songs are always about real life. It's not all sunshine and roses."

I haven't been fired.

Yet.

PS Someone check out the verses of the Battle Hymn of the Republic, which I also teach. That's where the REAL fun begins....heh

There's no way Fred Astaire could match Cagney in this dance routine.

I'm a "dandy" and a yankee, Who has a problem with it? Lets arm wrestle don't be a wussy.
You're lucky I have a ringing in my ear and a bruised coccyx, or I'd take you up on that challenge and totally embarrass you!
That's all? My collarbone tried to fly away from my body numerous times. I just said f the south and it was all good, a revelation lol

F-bomb the south? Nope, FUCK you, ya limp-wristed commie sack of shit. I wouldn't ever sweat the likes of "meeting" you or those of your ilk. As a matter of fact, commie fucks are strangely silent here in the DFW area as a whole and don't have much of a problem with them....but should they start getting "uppity" with their marxist views? We know exactly how to deal with them and it involves a good old fashion ass-whipping and the need of dental work. We ain't fucking around with you commie fucks.....no way, no fucking how.

Not only that but it was a sarcastic insult. Their soldiers had the matching uniforms and all the latest and greatest--we were scrubs. The line that says "Stuck a feather in his hat and called it macaroni" alludes to this...the American soldiers have no uniforms, nothing fancy at all, so we would stick random bird feathers in our hats and say "there, fancy enough", in effect.

Total insult song. But as I tell my students, the insult songs take on a new meaning when you win the war, right? You can rub them in the faces of those who used to mock you. Which is why Yankee Doodle became our song. :)

The redcoats consisted of Hessian mercenaries hired by Amschel Rothschild because many British soldiers wouldn't fight against their own people. England ended up making America just another conquered land when they took control of our monetary system in 1913. We ain't the "Home of the brave" or "land of the free"....what a fucking joke this whole "Independence Day" celebration is.......the elites laugh at the serfs.

The redcoats consisted of Hessian mercenaries hired by Amschel Rothschild because many British soldiers wouldn't fight against their own people. England ended up making America just another conquered land when they took control of our monetary system in 1913. We ain't the "Home of the brave" or "land of the free"....what a fucking joke this whole "Independence Day" celebration is.......the elites laugh at the serfs.

Yes I know it's not a libertarian dream

F-bomb the south? Nope, FUCK you, ya limp-wristed commie sack of shit. I wouldn't ever sweat the likes of "meeting" you or those of your ilk. As a matter of fact, commie fucks are strangely silent here in the DFW area as a whole and don't have much of a problem with them....but should they start getting "uppity" with their marxist views? We know exactly how to deal with them and it involves a good old fashion ass-whipping and the need of dental work. We ain't fucking around with you commie fucks.....no way, no fucking how.

Oh come on Dale. You're scared to meet up with a little old lady. Good thing too, cause she intended to beat your ass.

Oh come on Dale. You're scared to meet up with a little old lady. Good thing too, cause she intended to beat your ass.

C'mon, Bulldog, we BOTH know that I am not going to book a flight to San Diego just to prove a point to some ol liberal dyke. When I am able to go to that city that is on my bucket list? I will do it on my time table AND I will grant the old liberal klunt an audience and I will have the entire "meeting" and verbal beatdown she will receive recorded for youtube and for use here.

Heck, Bulldog, if you ever wish to personally take umbrage with what I post here and should your travels bring you to the DFW area? Let me know......I live in Carrollton, Texas but very familiar with all the suburbs and even Ft. Worth. You wouldn't have to travel to me at all. I mean, shit.....if you actually had the BALLS to come to Texas and specifically the Dallas-Ft. Worth area? The least I could do would be to come to the meeting place of your choosing. Send me a private message if you want my cell #....I don't hide and I certainly don't sweat the likes of the commie leftists. What I find so hilarious is how gutless leftards are here...they use multiple IDs, don't ever post personal pics. I do all the time and why is that? Because I don't fear any backlash.....imagine that?

C'mon, Bulldog, we BOTH know that I am not going to book a flight to San Diego just to prove a point to some ol liberal dyke. When I am able to go to that city that is on my bucket list? I will do it on my time table AND I will grant the old liberal klunt an audience and I will have the entire "meeting" and verbal beatdown she will receive recorded for youtube and for use here.

Heck, Bulldog, if you ever wish to personally take umbrage with what I post here and should your travels bring you to the DFW area? Let me know......I live in Carrollton, Texas but very familiar with all the suburbs and even Ft. Worth. You wouldn't have to travel to me at all. I mean, shit.....if you actually had the BALLS to come to Texas and specifically the Dallas-Ft. Worth area? The least I could do would be to come to the meeting place of your choosing. Send me a private message if you want my cell #....I don't hide and I certainly don't sweat the likes of the commie leftists. What I find so hilarious is how gutless leftards are here...they use multiple IDs, don't ever post personal pics. I do all the time and why is that? Because I don't fear any backlash.....imagine that?

I'm not one who usually wants to fight or threaten an old fashion ass-whupping or allude to the need for dental work like lots of crazy right wingers do, even though a couple of ex cop types have said they were on the way to visit me. I guess they were cowards, because they never showed up as promised. I got a nephew up there who used to play in a pretty good Stevie Ray tribute band in that area, and I'm in that area occasionally. I might very well look you up, but I don't really care to fight unless you insist. I will oblige you if you have your heart set on it though.

George M. Cohan rewrote both the words and lyrics after the turn of the 20th century and Yankee Doodle was reborn as I'm a Yankee Doodle Dandy which became a very popular song during WWI.

In 1942, the movie "Yankee Doodle Dandy", about the life of George M. Cohan revived the old Yankee Doodle again. It was a great movie, released at just the right time, 1942 when spirits were low and Americans were wondering if they could fight and win a war in the Pacific and Europe at same. The movie was a box office smash and "I'm a Yankee Doodle Dandy was playing on Jukeboxes across the country. Even today audiences will find this film sparkling and a delightful musical sure to light a spark a patriotism. Also it's one of Cagney's best movies.

Yankee Doodle Dandy is an ideal movie for the 4th. I believe it's playing on TCM and is probably available on one or more of the major streaming services.

George Washington yanked out his doodle and slapped the British Army upside their fucking heads with it. :113:

LOL Nothing but steers and queers in Tejas. Bet you're so tough you shit rawhide. :auiqs.jpg:

Forum List

Back